I need some answers, please.

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Duvodas, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Duvodas

Duvodas New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey there,

I just got done reading ASOS, and I have some questions the book didn't answer. First, what happened to Bran? The last thing I read of him was Samwell taking him through the gate at Nightfort on page 773 of the US paperback edition. After that, Sam appears out of nowhere with the Black Brothers and his widling girl. I'm kind of confused there, can someone enlighten me?

Also, I read that Stannis' firewitch burned someone so that the king's fleet would have good wind. I wonder if it was Davos they burned as it happens that the last I knew of him was when he smuggled Edric Storm out of Dragonstone and confesed to Stannis.

Thanks for your time, whoever answers. :)

2. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I could tell you about Bran and Davos... but that would be ADWD-spoilers.
    I think you should read A Feast For Crows first in order to better understand certain things happening in the books.

3. Duvodas

Duvodas New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, that's just sad...Very sad. I think I've lost the taste for Martin now. So I guess I'll wait until ADWD comes out to read both books combined. I'm glad I don't have to wait EIGHT years to know what happened to Bran or Davos.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ilaelin

Ilaelin The Mother of Dragons

Hades with the rest of my evil friends...
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    I believe, originally I AFfC was suppose to be like all the other books but it was becoming too long. Martin had to figure out how to shorten it. That is when the plan came about to have certain POV's in one book and the the next would have the others. Both books are suppose to follow a parallel time line. Which means yes we will have to wait and wait and wait patiently. And yep that sucks but AFfC does still have a lot of information and it's still a good read. So, don't give up on our beloved GRRM just yet! ;)

Check out www.georgerrmartin.com and click on this "Not a Blog" he's usually good about updating it. Until then don't lose faith! We are all in the same boat together!

And btw, Welcome to TFF and the ASoIaF boards! :D

5. Duvodas

Duvodas New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome, mate!

Now, let me tell you what I know about this series. Indeed, ASOIAF was supposed to be a shorter series, actually a trilogy, but I guess Martin saw a big way of making money there due to the popularity of the series so he decided to enlarge it to seven books. But as it happens, it didn't work well for him. AFFC took five years to be released after ASOW, Why? Well, it seems that when Martin was halfway through the book, he decided to start anew. So he did that; so his fans waited for years. Now, AFFC and ADWD were supposed to be one book, but it was so big that the publishers told him to divide it into two. I would have though that this would have been an easy thing: AFFC released on 2205, then ADWD on 2006, but no, he's taken THREE more years so write ADWD even though he had it ALREADY written. I like the series, and I wish Martin the bests of luck, alas, and his fans as well. But it just keep dragging on and on as if Martin doesn't know where he's going. I saw it in Jordan and hated it enough to stop reading on book four of his Wheel of Time series. I would hate if Martin falls under his steps, too.

Again, I'm just going to read ADWD when it's released along with AFFC and hope afterwards that Martin doesn't kick the bucket before he finishes the series. :(

6. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I stopped reading WOT after nine books for the same reason as you did. After every 1000-page book the story had almost made no progression.
    ASOIAF on the contrary is still full of events. OK, events are spreading, characters that did not seem to matter to the story suddenly become important players, but I have confidence everything will come together in the end. Every event, however out of storyline it seems, points at a steady ending of the series.
    I still enjoy ASOIAF very much and kill the time waiting for ADWD with rereading the other books.
    They contain a lot of information that I did not see at the first reading.
    One of the things I very much like about GRRM is his way to write things in a way that you simpy don't see some minor events (sometimes even details) having two or three different meanings, which only become clear with rereading.

7. Duvodas

Duvodas New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Of course, as every series of this type, events that didn't have meaning have meaning when you re-read. It's happened to me with Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. And I'm not saying Martin's series is not good or it's not a masterpiece, but the author himself is a disappointment, in my point of view. I mean, if you already know where you're going with the series, why make your fans wait 8 long years for two books???

At any rate, that's just what I think.

8. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Waiting is never fun.. ;)

9. Duvodas

Duvodas New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say it was, but I like authors who measure up to their expectations. If you're going to make a trilogy, make it. But don't try to be making more than that and making your fans wait for a long period of time.

10. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but I think it'll be worth waiting. I don't mind really, quality is more important imho.