I love this Artist!..

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Sparrow, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    What artistry, what sheer beauty... what balls and what a sense of humor this sculptor has... it's the new Nelson Mandela bronze statue that was recently unveiled in South Africa. There is a bronze rabbit looking very inquisitive, very friendly... from inside the ear of Nelson Mandela! It's really cute, check it out. It appears the government, which commissioned the giant statue, are not at all amused with the artist and have ordered it removed. It's sort of charming... I think it ought to stay.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/22/new-nelson-mandela-statue-has-bronze-rabbit-in-its-ear/

2. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    If that's for real, then I think it's freaking awesome! :D

3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    The bunny is certainly cute and whimsical. :)
    Still, I can see why they'd want it removed if this is real and not some kind of photoshopped joke image. I'm assuming that they commissioned the statue to commemorate Nelson Mandela's life. Leaving the bunny there will make the statue about the bunny and the artist, not about Nelson Mandela. Everybody will be climbing up to look in his ear and laughing over that rather than thinking about the stuff he did in his life. It kind of turns the whole exercise into a parody or a joke rather than a gesture of respect. I'm guessing they probably paid a lot of money for that statue too.....

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The two sculptors who created the statue were refused permission to sign their creation... they decided on a rather novel way around that though. The rabbit is their way of saying, "we were here, and this is what we've created". Nelson Mandela, his memory and legacy, can withstand some well intentioned mischief.

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Undoubtedly :)

Hmmm.....This makes me wonder if I'm right about why the bunny was found to be objectionable. If I had to guess (and this is strictly a guess on my part), I'd say the government's mentality about it is this: "You were paid to make a lasting memorial to commemorate a great man. We are sorry, but you may not use this commission to staple your legacy to his. This isn't about you, it's about Nelson Mandela."
    The fact that the artist put the bunny in the ear makes me wonder if they were peeved about not being allowed to use the commission to staple their legacy to Nelson Mandela's. In turn, that makes me wonder if they really ever understood the job they were hired for at all. It kind of reminds me of little kid behaviour actually. An adult can be sitting listening to some master pianist playing some grand orchestral piece and inevitably there will be a tug at their sleeve, "That's nice mommy, but look at what I can do!!!!!". :)
    I have to wonder if this artist has kind of shot themselves in the foot for future commissions over this. Then again, what do I know? :D I guess time will tell.

6. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    It is pretty lame of them. Trying to advertise themselves on a memorial. Imagine an MLK statue with a pepsi logo on the back of his hand.

Sure it is their art, but damnation, if you build a massive bronze statue of Madiba that big your name is going to go around far corners should somebody want to build a bronze statue.

7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

It would be an incredibly boring world if we all did what we were told to.

If it were up to me... I'd remove the ****ing ear with the rabbit in it, and proudly place it in my courtyard. See how they like that, Nelson Mandela minus an ear. To me the true artistic expression is the rabbit in the ear. Everything else is just a silly monument to some guy I could've cared less about when he was alive, and care not at all about in death. A rabbit nestled in a giant ear speaks to me... it's two guys saying **** you to the government.

8. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but they were commissioned to do it. If you are commissioned to do something and they highlight for you not do something, you are not giving them what they paid you for. If everybody screwed people over because they thought order was boring we'd be living in a world of sheer chaos where left and right things would be defunct and the world would be overblown with dangerously insensitive individualism.

Nelson Mandela did incredible things and showed immense humility and kindness after getting released from Robben island. If you were a South African from South Africa struggling against the Boer tyranny and racism you would surely care about him. If you were a South African with AIDS bearing a stigma brighter than the sun, having the ex-president come out and tell you it is just a disease and encourage you to accept it and seek help you would care about him.

I get the gist of what you are saying, but bastardizing historical figures because of ignorance or pride is a bit much. Sure there are situations when governments need stern looks, but honoring an individual like Madiba isn't a government, and the statue was in remembrance of him.

Really the only argument I could see being viable is that the money would have been better off building a library or school in his honor, but the artist likely wouldn't turn down a commission of this scale to encourage prudent government spending. But you can't blame them for that either, they need to eat too.

9. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The world probably won't descend into chaos over bunny rabbit statues.:)

And historically, it hasn't been "individualism" that takes humanity to the depths... it's collectivism, tribalism, mob rule, religion, apathy, etc, etc.

10. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well I was speaking in a more general sense rather than just the rabbit statues, but more like on an overarching level of that being a common philosophy.

I'm pretty sure individualists and collectivists both share a pretty disgusting history. You asinine movements like eugenics and objectivism, and Nazism in the west, and bunkum like communism in the east. But I just see a growing issue with individualism becoming self-righteous in the face of common courtesy. Even small groups are capable of more than any individual and they only are cohesive if everybody isn't being haughty on a whim.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I agree.

I've had some of my best artistic moments working as a team under an Art Director... but, sometimes all you get is mush. Too many chefs in the kitchen as it were.