I don't like Tolkein!

Discussion in 'Greetings!' started by I_Saw_Eden_Burn, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Interesting - I thought that Lyra's Oxford was a bit lacking in something - I would welcome some stories from her more innocent years before the first books - of the wild adventures had then.
    The Lee book (Once Upon a Time in the North) I rather liked and was a good intro - but it opened up a lot of questions since bears were far more apparent in the human settlement than they were in the main books =- where they are far more isolated in the polar lands.

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I've still to read Once upon a time in the north, though I have read Lyra's Oxford, I just wished it was longer. Finished it in 10 mins and I was pining for more lol I just wonder when he will release the one for Will, before or after The Book of Dust. Pullman always said that the Red Book, was Lyra's, the Blue Book, was Lee's, and that the Green Book would be Will's. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't expect the Book of Dust for more than two years I think. Would be nice if I could believe it would be sooner, but meh, highly doubtful.

3. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Again you confirm what I said, you make everything about you. I was interested to see someone who did not like Tolkien, you just happened to reply there. It's like me saying you would reply to something just cause I did LOL Sorry, my ego is not that big!

4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Um....somehow you and Anakin do this all the time,interfere when I am talking with someone else.I don't like that.That doesn't mean I think this is about me...YOU make this actually being about me.

5. Anaranë

Anaranë New Member

a place near nottingham in the country of ye olde
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    dont worry overread im lonely too lol :)

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    The Golden Compass movie was... disappointing, and that is something I can appreciate about Peter Jackson, if the studio's asked him to shorten LOTR he would have the nerve to say no. This director obviously couldn't and made the film feel so rushed and even cut out the most important scene, namely the ending. I saw bits of it in the trailer. Would have been cool to see it, but yeah...

7. Anaranë

Anaranë New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    wow i really am behind arent i lol :) and padme ur from scotland?? sorry im very slow at these things :( but aces anyway :) my parents went to scotland on holiday and left me despite knowing i want to go there :)

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'm from Scotland but I live in Belgium with Anakin now :D We're going back to Scotland in a few weeks actually for a while. Looking forward to seeing everyone again :D Sorry you weren't taken along with your parents :(

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I guess I like women who are 'forward' lol. Don't read too much into that though lol.

The Twilight fans should actually start to worry about that, cause the sequel New Moon is gonna have the same director as the Golden Compass...

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    don't mention the film :(
    it had its moments but I agree- it was way too rushed - Pan hardly got a moment to appear and we hardly got to know Lyra. As for the end the bad base goes Deathstart on us and those appearances by the small armies at the end was laughable - it should and could have been so much more :(

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Completely agree. I just wish they had handed it to a director who was capable of making a trilogy. Chris Weitz? I was like who? 'Oh he worked on American Pie'... Me: What?! :confused:

So I almost saw it as doomed to fail really, though it did great in the rest of the world aka not in America so much. So I think the chances of sequels are gone. I would like to think they will remake it or something properly but if they did then it would not be any time soon, that is for sure!

12. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

I_Saw_Eden_Burn Moonchild

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    [Pops head over parapet] Has the gunfire stopped?
    First off, I must apologise for spelling Tolkien's name wrong in the thread title - sometimes my fingers run faster than my brain.
    Secondly, I never intended to start a holy war. I realise Tolkien is seen as the father of fantasy literature, but it's not a view I share as I consider Donaldson's work to be far superior. I simply wanted to coax other Donaldson fans out of the woodwork, as I haven't met very many in my life. I apologise if I got a bit personal with Foinikas, but frankly the hostile tone of his first post gave me little option but to defend myself against the charge of 'showing off.' My views are honestly held, since I first read Lord Foul's Bane when I was 14 and it made an enormous impact on me, much more than the Lord of the Rings ever did. I'm far too old and grizzled to descend into playground spats, and I'll try to keep a more even temper in future. I don't know any of you people, but I hope to get to know you all better in the future, regardless of what colour you are, what sexuality you are, what books you read. There's enough hate in the world as it is; do we really need to add to it over our choice in literature? When I registered with TFF I did so because it looked like a friendly site, and I sincerely hope that it can still be so without all this bitterness and inter-tribal rivalry. Anyway, that's all I've got to say on the subject. Best wishes to one and all.

13. Anaranë

Anaranë New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ah its alright dan wants to take me there on holiday so i will go and they had alot of fun with tag along here lol :) and ah nice one

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well we are glad to have you here :D I think the Holy War as you put it is over now :D Well I sure hope it is anyway.

We have somehow turned this thread since then into a HDM thread :S Oops lol You need to read them though, they are fantastic.

15. Anaranë

Anaranë New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hey im glad foin didnt scare you off we are all not that bad honestly :) i agree too much violence steming from stupid arguments like this one :) and i apologise you didnt have one of the warmest of welcome so may i be one of a many to resay

Welcome to the forum ISEB i hope you have a gd time here and find a thread with some authors u like :D

16. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Anarane and Padme (sorry, I can't figure out how to do the accents over the letters) My first foray into forum life has been a bit more fraught than I expected, but I'll definitely be back.:)

17. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    No worries - the "war" had nothing to do with you at all = just one of those internal forum things that tend to develop over time.
    Do please stay around - its always good to get views from those who do not always share out exact same interests and besides we can always hope to convert you to the ways of Tolkien (just not when Anakin and Padme are around ;)) and if not you can always hope to convert more Donaldson fans ;)

ps if you hang around long enough you will see that Fion and Anakin+Padme wars are uncommon - fast - furious and usually over by the end of the day - a week at most and things calm down

I personally just think the 3 of them like a good argument (even if they have nothing to really argue over ;))

18. Anaranë

Anaranë New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    yay :) we dont like to scare people off :) and its fine i just copied and pasted it i cant do them either mwahahahaha i cheated lol

19. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I shall try to be less obstinate about the charms of Tolkien in the future, but no-one will ever convince me he's a better writer than Donaldson.:) [This is just a personal opinion, by the way, and does not reflect the views of TFF or its subsidiaries]:)*

*Just thought I'd cover my back against further assaults.:D

20. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    well in truth there is only one thing we can really have you shot for ---- --
    the question is -- do you like Firefly?