I desire.... rapiers!

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Elladan, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that the rapier is one of my favorite swords. It represented an era when skill and blade technique were paramount, but it was still capable of hacking and slashing- unlike the pansy-@$$ small sword.

So, does anyone know where I can get a good one? I'm taking up fencing, and it's one of the few swords I can actually adapt my technique to.

:hackit:

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    it depends where you live, if your in the UK i know a good site that has some nice rapiers and a few traditional fencing swords.

personally i prefer the broadsword, or any goodd medeival battle sword. however the rapier is very agile and skillful

3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Well, not all rapiers were designed for the cut. Very few actually. However Museum Replicas and Hanwei / Paul Chen make some inexpensive models. Between these two companies you'll be able to find what you want. If anything the smallsword was much more versatile, they weighed half as much as rapiers of similar sizes, and any well tempered blade with a keen edge should be able to cut flesh like butter.

4. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Here's some swords

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2189937849&category=43340

This sword is made by Windlass, and it is over 60% off the retail price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190435303&category=20272&rd=1

And I'm selling this sword. It has some rapier like features.

5. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a nice sword you have up for bid, Justice. It's aged well, in my opinion.

And in reply to your remark about the smallsword: I suppose I can concede that its lighter weight would have advantages over a rapier in battle. However, in this instance, it is important to understand the time periods the two weapons come from, and the attitudes of the day.

The smallsword, to me, represents the sword in its decline in western society. It wasn't really considered a weapon- it was a 'fashion item' much like a purse. Some smallswords weren't edged; some weren't even functional. Some of the 'gentlemen' that wore them couldn't use them. Perhaps they were more artful, but they were also more delicate.

The rapier, by contrast, is a soldier's weapon. Though it certainly applies the techniques of fencing as the smallsword does, its size and weight clearly make it a tool of war. It represents a time when swords were still considered deadly and useful on the battlefield, and when those that wore them wore them to kill people, not merely to look good.

That is my philosophy, and that is what I hope to achieve someday in my study of both western and eastern sword arts. Swordplay is at its most artful when the ultimate goal is not diluted, and the sword's true power upon us is lost if its purpose is forgotten. I'll wear my rapier, and use it- and if you try to mug me, make no mistake, I'll run you through.

I think that's why the swords from The Lord of the Rings are so magnificent. They're not pieces of metal designed to hang on a wall- they're weapons. Form and function go hand in hand, and the result is beautiful, particularly on the more artful creations like Hadhafang.