I believe there is life on other planets

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Kurt, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I've got a very intersting book by Asimov about the end of life (A choice of catastrophes) which covers the risks of being alive. I suppose it's a bit dated, but in reality, we can be sure that we will be wiped out at some point or other. Top of the list are probably meteorite and cosmic gamma flash. All planets are threatened by these sorts of events, so yes, I agree. Even if a planet did sprout life, likely by far the most time of the planet's existence, it didn't. Let alone intelligent life.

2. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    We don't even understand life on our planet so aren't really in a position to model the probability of life existing elsewhere with any reasonable degree of accuracy. With millions of observed galaxies, each with 10s or 100s of millions of stars, each possibly having many captured planets, moons & asteroids there would seem to be zillions of possible homes for life though.

Life in basic forms exists/flourishes where you wouldn't think it was possible ~ extreme cold/hot, chemically toxic, underwater under immense pressure etc so whose to say life elsewhere isn't commonplace? How intelligent that life might be is another issue.

Even if there is life how could we verify it given the huge distances involved? We'd either need to be able to travel much faster, live much longer, reproduce en route or a combination of all three to have any hope of doing so.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. Raigon

Raigon New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think they do exist, the universe is too big to think that of the gazillion planets out there, we are the only one that "happen" to have life. It's kind of the notion of all humans being female, but only one is male, which while kicks ass for the guy is not plausible. But unless we can find a way to surpass the speed of light or go into a wormhole, we might never be able to reach them or communicate with them anyway.

4. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree with you.. again :).

5. Ivix

Ivix Ivix - Nintendo of U.S.A.

Why so you can knock on my door? Im Social... But
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey there acctally is, scientest found them : germs on a meteroite from a planet over 500,000,000 light years away from the edge of the milky way, now think about it, one of your great great great great somethings are gonna go there like **** EARTH I WANNA LIVE ON MARS 34!