I believe there is life on other planets

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Kurt, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Kurt

Kurt The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -41
    There must be a lot of fantastic planets out there with life. The universe is so vast with unlimited galaxies. Each galaxy with perhaps 10,000 worlds with life. I believe there are birds, trees, fish on other planets and I bet the odds are I am right about this. A planet perhaps were the dinosaurs still rule. How about a huge gas giant like Jupiter with has moons the size of earth and some of the moons has life on them. I wish I had an alien encyclopedia that shows ecosystems with creatures predators and plant life on some alien world. I think about the lifeforms on our world thats a lot of different creatures. Other planets also have diverse lifeforms but the rules are that of predator and prey are the same on other worlds. Perhaps there are similar lifeforms to our world like different kinds of birds. Maybe there are pink elephants.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Science is so much in its infancy here its not even got up and crawled.

The concept of life on other worlds is, thus far, based strongly upon the rules of life upon Earth, mostly because that is all we really have to go upon to judge what we consider life as. I have no doubt that not only is there life as we know it on other worlds; but that our definition of life itself will, one day, come under strong review as we explore more of the universe and come to question what we consider as truly alive.

For now and the near distant future however I suspect that the only life we might have a chance to study will be either with remote units or observation remotely; esp since it appears that most life outside of Earth is unlikely to be in an advanced state (however there are some hopes that Mars might yield more than just rock and microbes).

3. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    When we do discover planets with other life, I doubt we will be able to reach them in a timely manner. Also the type of lifeforms that are there could be entirely unfathomable to us. Unless the planet is exactly like Earth we probably won't see things that look like what we are familiar with, depending on the type of environment and chemicals in the environment their branch of evolution could be something completely different.

Because the universe is so large I wouldn't doubt that there is some other form of life out there, but I doubt we will see it unless we gear up for massively long human race preservation plans.

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    What about the possibility of multiple parallel universes? What does everybody think about that? Life in infinite abundance and variety.....

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If you breakdown what must be available for organic life to exist and represent it as a mathematical equation and factor in Time, you would be shocked at just how long those odds are for life to flourish in the Universe. Indeed, at this moment in time, we Earthlings are perhaps the only organic life in the Milky Way that even ponder such things.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    You know.

There is something to say about the theory behind it all. I'm sure other plantes, under the right conditions, have sprouted life. I have no problem with that.

But the practicality is that, if intelligent extraterrestrial life does exists, it's bound to be so few and far between, that there might as well be none. It's a simple matter of searching and/or being found. Needles and haystacks don't even begin to cover the problem. And if the finding does occur, chances of visiting one another are pretty slim, considering space is a pretty hostile place.

To be honest, I don't think humans are capable of traveling beyond the local solar system. The biological fact is that we are not suited to live in microgravity, cosmic radiation, comet debris, vacuum - and I would be very much surprised to find other species are. Basically, we're stuck where we are. Which is probably a good thing.

7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

You also need to factor in Time.
    Perhaps there have been planets that harbored exotic life like here on Earth. But those Earth-like planets were rendered lifeless by a misbehaving sun, or a sun that simply entered another stage of its life, or some other cosmic event. Though our sun will burn for billions more years it is likely it will only serve life on Earth for another 1 billion years, or less. Our sun is gradually becoming more luminous, by about 10% every billion years... and that is the very slim margin of life/death we find ourselves in.

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Eh but that math is mostly just pure theory crafting on a data base of around 1 sample. So whilst it might have some validity its also highly likely to be totally inaccurate (meaning life could be more or less abundant than it would suggest).

As for the concepts of space travel, eh, I suspect people said the same things about sailing over the vast oceans at some point; we are not really built to be super swimmers to cross the Atlantic. Yet we have - I suspect technological advances could indeed make the distance between planets easier and easier to consider crossing.
    I do suspect that we will; early on, be totally reliant upon remote machine observation, of course that also requires vast investment and thus its unlikely to happen without a major economic drive.

I personally feel that our first big space push is going to be funded off the back of overpopulation and dwindling resources. Eventually we might have the ability to mine offworld cheaper and easier for a bigger return over mining upon the Earth itself.

9. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Or develop FTL drives.

Imagine if we developed FTL travel in the middle of a slow sub-light mission to Alpha Centari?

I think it's probably true, but I have my doubts about the ease of travel between these dimensions.

10. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0
    Just pray that there is intelligent life somewhere out in space 'cos there is bugger all down here on Earth

11. Kurt

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -41
    I do believe in the big bang that is suppose to start at the begining but there is a lot more to it. I have my own theory. Lets go back before the explosion. What was enormous object that exploded. It could have been a super massive black hole way bigger than others. If it wasn't a black hole maybe could have been a huge ball of dark matter that exploded. I believe space is endless and there more of these objects ready to explode huge distances away past the furthest galaxy. We leave the Quasers at the end of our universe. Then we could enter a new universe or we find a huge ball of matter ready explode. There is no end and there is no beginnig meaning there were other universes before the big bang exploded.

12. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that, we haven't developed past petty territory wars as a species. The whole world will have to become pretty well set and willing to chip in if we ever plan on enacting anything of a worthwhile scale. People are too willing to bear grudges and clutch onto tradition than break new ground and think about a distant future that would matter more if we cared about it.

-in response to HoW

13. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    All this needle in a haystack and distance stuff might become irrelevant if science manages to find ways of redefining space and time.

14. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Sailing the seas and traversing the insane distances between stars is not an appropriate metaphor.
    They are absolutely nothing alike. Even traveling 10% the speed of light it would take a spaceship 44 years to reach the nearest neighboring star... we have no technology even on the drawing board that can muster those kind of speeds, not even close. Worse than that, the nearest star to us is part of a binary system that most scientists in the field believe can't support organic life.

Do you have any idea what happens to a human body that's been exposed to cosmic radiation for 44 years?.. and if you answer "we'll have a way to shield astronauts from cosmic radiation", then it means you have no idea what 'cosmic radiation' is. Do you know what happens to a spaceship traveling 10% the speed of light that smashes into a pea-sized rock or piece of ice?.. do you know how successful closed-loop ecologies have been here on Earth... than imagine a closed-loop environment on a spaceship that must last indefinitely. And no, we will not be mining other worlds for resources.

I ask you to give this essay a read, it's titled The High Frontier, Redux and is lovingly written by well known SF writer Charles Stross to shake people out of their romantic notions of colonizing other worlds.
    http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2007/06/the_high_frontier_redux.html

15. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Eh my view of science is that it can tell us what we can and can't do now and it can best guess what we can and can't do within a limited time frame of the future. However I don't think its right for science to tell us what is impossible since to do that it requires a complete data set and -- well -- we don't have that ;)

I do accept that the tech for space travel is beyond current abilities and its highly likely that it will be many generations before we might have "somethings" to bridge the gap more effectively. So yeah, kinda is the case of "oh we might have a shield or a teleporter or something that we don't even know exists yet" because, well, that is the other half of science; that of finding out new things and making new devices.
    Of course the whole concept requires a level of stability on the planet and abundant resources enough to invest in expensive studies; even if the tech is funded and developed for other applications, tests and trials would be heavy to invest in.

I guess that is the other alluring "dream" of space travel. The concept that there would be sufficient "Peace on Earth" and affluence to afford such an extravagant and ambitious project.

16. Reece56364

Reece56364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Every planet that we go to in the future, provided we make it past 21/12/2012 (just covering all bases :p), is just gonna get destroyed by us. We'll move to one planet, get greedy and waste it. Then hop to another and so on... So in all honesty, i dont think we should go to them.

17. Kurt

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -41
    I think we should forget about mars first and build a spacestation on the dark side of the moon. Why on the dark side because we will die on the light side should we get solar flares and we will. How about vacations to the moon. Somebody would go despite the huge fee.

I think we should explore our solar system. A probe was sent into Jupiters atmosphere it was crushed by the huge pressure before it ever landed. I think we gave up on gas giants. Why assume that the same thing will happen should we send a probe to the others say Uranus for instance. I think its about the size of ten earths. It rotates the opposite way to what earth does. I think the atmosphere has methane giving it a greenish atmosphere. I don't think all life needs oxygen to survie. I think a lifeform could breathe other gases and be found in the remotes of places.

18. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Planets are big. I bet if we moved our industry to Mars it would take at LEAST 200 years before we couldn't use it any more. And that being said, alternative energy is on the rise. I imagine solar power would be easier to obtain on Mars than coal or petroleum. Wind power would be exceptionally productive on Mars if the turbines could withstand the sandstorms.

19. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Even if not for energy humans will find a way to destroy everything, just like we have here. I agree with Reece, I think we should stick here and try to contain our destructive nature to just one planet, rather than spreading ourselves like cockroaches all over the Universe.

Too bad it's already happening....

[​IMG]

20. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    We could strip-mine it as well, but that won't happen very fast at all.

As far as we know there isn't really an ecosystem to destroy, nor indigenous populations to crush and assimilate.