I am writing a book

Discussion in 'Writing Workshop' started by RiverWolf, Mar 2, 2008.

1. RiverWolf

RiverWolf Rengan the Wolf

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So far I have only done some planning, though. Based on your experience in writing and/or reading, do you think this would turn out to be an interesting book based on the characters and the plot ideas? (It may not be very original though. I've gotten a lot of ideas from books I've already read.)

Name of the Land – Haldoran

Name of King Aldric’s Kingdom – Meinir

The kingdom of Meinir includes the River, Neirida Sea and the Bryderrech Mountains

Name of King Gordian’s Kingdom – Sargon

The Kingdom of Sargon includes the Labran Plains and the Kenn River

Antagonists – Ormand & Akane

There are 2 kingdoms of men: Meinir and Sargon. They made a plan to take over each of these kingdoms with their armies and then merge them together and co-rule together over the kingdom. So the twins bewitch the kings and took over the kingdoms by force. Before they began to merge the kingdoms into one, they betrayed each other and their pact. They begin a war, each brother trying to kill the other in an attempt to become the sole ruler of Haldoran.

Side Notes: They are sorcerers, they are planning to use the kings in their Cavalry of the Living Dead later on in the wars, and they command the dragons because they serve Cheka, the Goddess of the Darkness

Protagonists – Einar (Elf warrior), Thern (Dwarf), Conall (big, burly knight of Sargon), Rengan (The guide – excellent fighter), Branwen (Female, graceful, beautiful, archer)

Einar – an elf of the Lyndor Forest (home of the Elven kingdom Lyndoriel, of course), he is the grandson of the Elfin swords master Auberon. He is approximately 200 years old (young adult, about 25, in elf years). Einar is wise, keeps to himself mostly. He is often homesick.
    Thern – Dwarf of the Bryderrech Mountains. He is strong-willed and stubborn. His weapon of choice is his battle axe, of course. He forged it himself in the Bryderrech Forges in the dwarven kingdom of Hallradalr. (Dwarves are excellent metalworkers, you know.) Thern is the son of the dwarf king Horgen. He is approximately 270 (adult, about 40, in dwarf years).
    Conall – Large, strong powerful knight of Sargon. Born and raised in Kenton, a small riverside town in the kingdom of Sargon, he always had an interest in weaponry. He has a younger brother, Lonan, who still lives in that town with his mother. Honor and bravery are necessary to be a knight, and he lives by them.
    Rengan – Middle aged man with a cloudy past, he is the most skilled fighter of the group. He is rugged and shabby but an excellent leader. On his right hand he as a ring – a band with a pattern of maple leaves – from a woman by the name of Teagan. She is his love, but when the twins took over the kingdoms, she was forced to flee. He doesn’t know where she is now.
    Branwen – A young, beautiful, graceful woman, she is the only child of a bow maker. She has practiced her archery ever since she was a young girl. Even though it isn’t proper for a girl to handle weaponry, her father allowed it because she was all she had. Her mother had died when she was born. Her bow is one made especially for her by her father. It was her father’s greatest creation, and she never lets it out of her site. Conall has his eye on her.

Places:
    Ederic Woods, Lynor Forest, Bryderrech Mountains, Kenton
    Water:
    Neirida Sea, Kenn River, Tangar Ocean

• Like Like x 1
  2. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Being a writer myself, I'd have to say the answer to your question is yes. The plot ideas are interesting and the characters seem to have real potential. You have a good foundation thus far, in my humble opinion of course. I wish you luck with it :)

3. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    In my oppinion a book becomes interesting when it offers new perspectives. There's barely a story that is not written about or a plot that is not already known. So it depends on the perpective you let the reader view the story.
    Einar for example sounds good. Why? "He's often homesick". you don't get that too often, that a protagonist is homesick. That makes the charakter very interesting. We all know elves as beautiful, graceful, strong and powerful. But homesick? That's new.

So I'd just start writing on it. Maybe you could post some stuff later on in here to get some criticism and helpful advice. If a book turns out interesting mostly depends on the style of writing, not on the plot.

[personal note: Harry POtter could've been the most boring book. Why it isn't? Because Harry is a loser^^]

4. RiverWolf

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! Most helpful.

5. RiverWolf

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Okay, here is a sample of what I have written so far (And I am kinda stuck already, so any suggestions on what to write next would be helpful!)

Prologue

The guard’s head started to droop forward onto his broad chest. The spear he held in his right hand clattered to the floor loudly, making him jump. He glanced around warily to see if anyone had witnessed his clumsiness. Seeing nothing but the torches flickering in the darkness, he bent to pick up the spear. As he stood, he shook his head to clear it of drowsiness; standing guard outside the King’s bedroom was no place to sleep. Sighing, he shifted his feet until he was comfortable and resumed staring at the rough stone wall.

A shadow down the hall caught the guard’s eye. Though it was not unusual to see shadows in the glowing torchlight, this shadow was different. It moved slowly towards him, in sharp contrast to the flickering shadows common to torch-lit halls. The guard shifted nervously; his hand gripped his spear shaft tightly. Heart pounding, he stared at the shadow as it loomed closer. He could hear nothing but the crackling of the torches and his own racing heart.

The shadow receded, and the guard relaxed his grip on the spear. His racing heart slowed. Nothing was there. Suddenly, fear washed over him in waves as he could no longer move. He tried to lift his spear but couldn’t move. He tried to lift his spear but his arm felt as if it was full of lead. A voice filled his mind speaking strange, foreign words that sounded eerily like magic, and then he knew no more.

Chapter 1

Chaos filled every town and village in the Kingdom of Sargon. King Gordian was missing! He had been mysteriously taken form him bed in the middle of the night as he slept. The kidnappers left no trace except for a few dead guards without even a scratch on them. The entire Kingdom was completely puzzled as to what could have happened to the King.

Because of the circumstances, many believed it couldn’t have been a human who had done this. There were rumors that elves, the stealthiest of creatures, had come out of their forest kingdom of Lynoriel and were trying to take over the kingdom of men. Others believed that the goblins, evil as they are, must be trying to gain back their land that had been taken over by the Sargonians in the Goblin Wars twenty years ago. Some of the more imaginative villagers swore that it was the centaurs because they wanted the King’s astronomy library.

(as for what to write next, should I already say that Meinir's King is gone to, or save that for later? And if I am to save it for later, what then should I write? Should I describe the effect its having on the Kingdom or should I start introducing my main characters?)

6. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Very good thus far. I find that when writing, if I put myself in the place of the main character (of the chapter if not the book) I can usually figure out where the story should go (usually not where I'd planned it to go, but it goes nontheless - LOL). My best advice is, write like you're there.

7. Nick

Nick New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree so far so good. I am also writing..... a story i will say for now, I tend to picture the story as if watching a film but with the commentry on in the special features. Sounds stupid but it works for me. My main character has various( not too many) downfalls of character. That is what makes him interesting i think. As a novice writer the only advice is, carry on, write a book that you would love to read. worst comes to worst you got it off your chest and you will hold something that is dear to you! Screw what others think, if you like it who cares!!
    I think you have something there.....GO FOR IT.

Nick

8. Nick

Nick New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If there is a main character that is going to investigate bring him in now, could start with NAME knelt in the kings chamber, it did not add up........
    That sort of introduction

Nick

9. Graft

Graft Love-tiger

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Not trying to be a dick, but it seems a little like you're trying to hard to make us be there. You use the "flickering" a little too much and you say he can't move several times. And at other times you just tell us whats happening. Instead of "Chaos filled every town and village in the Kingdom of Sargon", say something like "Throughout Sargon, village streets were flooded with panicked people, all wishing the nightmare would end.

Now I feel like an ass hole. I know this is only a rough draft, and I'm sure you'd have improved it anyway, but I like to critique. You have great ideas, and a good start. I'd love to read the complete work.

10. Nick

Nick New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Graft, if you like critiquing, could you have a look at The Rise Of The Pathman? need more people to post replies. Need to know whether to continue or just stop!
    Cheers