I am the voice in your head, projected on your screen.

Discussion in 'Greetings!' started by 3rdProphecy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. 3rdProphecy

3rdProphecy New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am new to the whole fantasy thing, and recently read the The Belgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings, and was blown away by the adventures that the characters embarked on.

After I completed all ten of the books I was left wanting more. I googled to see if there are any David Eddings movie projects in the pipeline.

Overcoming my disappointment at the reality that Hollywood would never produce a Belgariad or Malloren film I decided to think how I would produce such a projects.

As a 3d animator and co-owner of a video production company supporting the concept of producing a film adaptation of a book exactly as the original author wrote the novel I decided that producing this epic David Eddings adventure in an Ultimate Series that depicts every event in the book in a made for internet series exactly as it is in the novels, with every word of dialogue remaining the same, reproducing the book word for word would be the best way to go about it.

I want to produce the Belgariad series as a open source public 3d animation project, free to view on the internet with the intention of promoting the fantasy genre and the David Eddings books.

I want to start with season 1, Pawn Of Prophecy, and I think by joining this forum a have taken a step in the right direction.

I will really appreciate any help I can get in establish this enormous community project and I am looking forward to the feedback from the members of this forum.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow 3rdProphecy, your idea sounds really great! It's a massive project though. I also loved David Eddings' books. Where exactly do you plan to start with this project?

3. 3rdProphecy

3rdProphecy New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I know it will be a daunting task, but hopefully i will find others to help me with the project.

Where to start?

The Belgariad as a series is structured perfectly for a project like this, the first book in the series, Pawn of Prophecy, in itself helps a lot by simplifying the process. It starts off with a core group of characters and the basic setting of Faldor's farm, it then slowly expands from there, introducing more characters and unveiling the world.

The first step would be to design, model and rig the core characters according to the descriptions in the book.

Here is a list of characters witch i think is essential to start of with.

Major characters: Garion, Aunt Pol, Mister Wolf, Faldor, Brill, Durnik, and the mysterious Murgo Trader.

Minor Characters: Supporting Characters: Rundorig, Zubrette and Doroon.

Miscellaneous characters: farm inhabitants ( men, women, children) livestock and horses.

Only after that would i look at designing the locations by using the book as reference. These Locations are mainly: Faldor's farm, Upper Gralt and the general landscape of Sendaria.

That should be good enough to get the project launched and to gain support/help.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It does sound very interesting. I'm new here, but have observed many members who have been here for ages and have excellent fantasy knowledge. I'd be willing to help you... but, I'm sure one of the oldies could do a better job. :] I think your idea is great though! It will be important to get the atmosphere of the farm right, to show how these seemingly ordinary people who live a simple life,actually turn into great heroes.

5. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like one daunting project!

I was a huge fan of David Eddings a few years ago. What you might want to consider is whether Eddings is the best author to use to promote fantasy. (if that is your main aim. Obviously, you might want to do it just because you enjoyed the series so much!)

The problem with Eddings is that it is very predictable, and almost monotonous, at least compared to many other Fantasy series. I would probably recommend that you read a couple of other series, now that you have discovered the amazing world of Fantasy, and then reconsider which series you would like to work with. Though that is of course only a suggestion. ;)

6. 3rdProphecy

3rdProphecy New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I won't say that promoting fantasy is my main aim, it is part of it, but i did enjoy the books a lot, and that is one of the reasons why i chose this series, i have also grown rather attached to the characters in the books, and i think this is a good way to stay in-touch with them, so to speak.

"I would probably recommend that you read a couple of other series" - Árëlin Milloway;1276773

After my recent introduction into the fantasy genre i have become somewhat of an addict, sometimes reading a book a day. I can tel you that i have considered other series for this project, but after thinking the matter over for a while i decided that i would want to produce similar projects for them to, however i don't think i would want to do them first.

I picked the David Eddings series because of the simplicity of the plot and as you stated that undergoing such a project would be a daunting task, that is why i want to make my first one simpler to produce. I also picked it because of my love for the books and the characters and i think that will motivate me and keep me committed.

I see this project as only the beginning. i would really appreciate any other input or suggestions you may have.

Hopefully this project can grow and involve other fantasy fans in it's production, creating an online series that many will enjoy to watch.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I'm very familiar with the series. Anyway welcome to the forum and good luck with the project.

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I know you don't really want to hear this, buuuuuut you might get your project shut down. The problem is Eddings works are still fully under copyright and that in turn is linked to major publishers. Whilst most authors and publishing groups tolerate fanfiction on the net (its not financially viable nor endearing to the readers to go after them) trying to retell the story through a film project would very quickly get your shut down once found out (even if you are making no profit off it at all). Furthermore its not just a case of the author having to give you rights - the rights themselves might already be held by other interested parties and, furthermore, if they give you free rights to make a film any future Hollywood offering (or any other film company) might argue for a free/low cost rights package because you already have a free rights from the author.

It's a messy complicated area and the domain of the slithery slippery lawyers. However all is not lost, what I suggest you do is look for older fantasy tales where the copyright has naturally expired and is not held by a trust or group.
    Robert E Howard would be one such author who's works are now outside of their copyright and would thus be a safer target (I'm unsure if such things as Conan for moving pictures have any special copyright restrictions on them since there have been recent conan productions (as an example) made and which still have their own copyrights - see it gets even more tricky! ;( :( )

I say this not to discourage you from your idea, but to point out the legal practicality and opposition that you might get. Far better to iron this out now than months down the line should you get a project underway.

9. 3rdProphecy

3rdProphecy New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Overread.

I have considered all of this and I am currently researching the matter further, I do know that no film rights have been given to any one.

Unfortunately the author, David Eddings, has passed away, thus complicated the search for the current copyright holder, since his wife passed away before him and they had no children. I do suspect that his brother might own these rights, he also inherited the rights to a manuscript of a un-published David Eddings series.

Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.

10. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    what 3D programs you use? 3D Max? maya? Cinema? AC3D? Alladdin? I'm a graphic artist myself.

Welcome to the Abyss... :D

11. 3rdProphecy

3rdProphecy New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    To Anakin, Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

AlphaAlex, I primarily use 3d studio Max, but for this project i think i will combine 3 programs, 3d Studio Max for it's interface, Vue 9 xstream for the environment and Poser Pro for the characters.

Which programs do you work on?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  12. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hmm Overread is right...
    I have been looking but noone seems to hold the copyrites. A few years ago there was a chance that Pawn of Prophecy would be made into a movie, but his wife shot it down. Do you maybe know who owns the rites Overread?

13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Normally copyright lasts for 70years (in the UK and its a similar number in many "developed" countries so far as I know) after the death of the owner. That is provided that the copyright isn't passed onto another person - such as down to family or to a trust/group/union.

Thereafter I don't know much more on the copyright front and the best source would be to contact the copyright offices/group in your country. That would give you the accurate info/sources to at least know who might own the copyright and under what controls it might be imposed.
    From there I suspect the only person to get a firm answer from his brother or the last/current company publishing his works.

Sadly copyright can get very confusing at times as to who owns what - especially if the licence gets broken into segments (Eg film rights - publishing rights - art rights etc...).

14. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Hello! *waves* Welcome to TFF! :devilbat:

15. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Greetings and welcome!