I Am Legend - Worth going to see?

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Gaselle, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Darth_Sabbathus

Darth_Sabbathus Dark Lord of the Sith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hands down one of the best i've seen as far as the genre, but it is so much more than a "zombie" flick. this is no resident evil (which btw wasn't claire supposed to go to alaska... nvm) @ least a 9 outa 10

2. Darth_Sabbathus

Darth_Sabbathus Dark Lord of the Sith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ~deleted double-post~ sorry tff

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i liked it, the start was amazing but I felt it got a little slow towards the end

SPOILER!

after he met the others.

I would have prefered something more akin to the original book or the heston version, but everything before that was spectacular and well made.

4. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Some people I know did not enjoy it but I absolutely loved it. 9.5 out of 10. NOT a zombie movie or a vampire movie, so don't think that. Worth the time.

5. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    I watched it a couple days back and I thought it was awesome. It wasn't what I was expecting but was still very good imo.

That threw me off as well, it seemed as though he sincerely did not know why the mannequin was there, but it also seemed that he was just having a conversation with it (for the sake of talking to someone). And since he felt extremely frustrated he sort of lost it and went beserk on it. And then since he wasn't thinking straight, walked right into his own trap. The fact that the trap was exactly like the previous trap he must have set it up and forgotten about it. He probably had set up so many that he lost track lol...I can't think of any other explanations. But, all in all an excellent movie!

6. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 3 / -1
    I am totally obsessed with that movie... it was so great. Will Smith is an exceptional actor!

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I dotn think so, trapping an infected is so risky he must only do it when he wants to test his latest formula, the leader'zombie or whatever was the one who came out into the light after he trapped the other one, so assumng he has any intelligence I'd say it was them.

I would have liked it if it was neville setting the traps and slipping into insanity, but I dont think it was. after all the mannaquin wouldnt have attracted the zombies, as he only uses blood as bait in the other one.

8. vampriter

vampriter The Scribe

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with most of the people on this thread who praised this movie. Perhaps if I hadn't read the book, I might be more inclined to enjoy the movie, but alas...

The book was much more enjoyable, fulfilling, suspenseful, and thought-provoking. The movie reduced a great work of literature to typical Hollywood action/horror drivel. I agree that Will Smith is a great actor, but I have to say that his skills were somewhat misplaced in the movie. The CG "infected" severely detracted from the serious tone the movie was meant to convey, the back story was rather bland, and the overall changes from book to big screen pretty much destroyed the major concepts of the book.

I agree with an earlier post that this movie was little more than a cheesy version of 28 days later. I would daresay that author Richard Matheson would be rolling over in his grave if he weren't still alive

9. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I saw this film today, it was really good, but not as good as 28 days later. That film is still the best zombie/virus flick still.

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    @ Kakashi: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the movie was based on the book by the same name.

I've heard from people who've read the book that the movie is absolutely PHENOMENAL until the last 15 minutes, which differs very strongly from the book, but won't spoil it. :) (Gonna' go watch it myself sometime >.<)

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i felt that way and I havent read the book.

12. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I didn't think the vampires were frightening enough.

13. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    they were just sort of creepy.

@Liadan- you're right, the website i read that off of was wrong.
    Omega Man was one of the earlier movies based off of the 1954 novel, I am Legend

off of wikipedia-

I Am Legend is a 1954 science fiction novel by Richard Matheson about the last man alive in a future Los Angeles overrun with vampires/the infected. Notable as influential on the developing modern zombie genre, in popularizing the fictional concept of a worldwide apocalypse due to disease, and in exploring the notion of vampirism as a disease. The novel was a success, and was adapted to film as The Last Man on Earth in 1964, as The Omega Man in 1971, and again in 2007 as I Am Legend, with Will Smith acting out the leading role.

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    I have to say that I saw 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later during the holidays and I liked them both but I thought they were both too small.

Many friends of mine saw I am Legend(only 2 of them at the cinema and everybody else in a downloaded DVD from the net...lol!)and some of them said it resembled 28 Days Later very very much and that it was a good movie but too small.Some of them even said that it wasn't as good as they thought it would be.

But I still want to see that movie and buy it.I already know the story and everything but I want it.

15. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It's a really cool movie, a bit sad even.. Will Smith plays his character really good, however there is just something missing in this movie to make it great. Anyway, still worth watching.

16. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Will Smith's performance in this movie should have gotten him an oscar nomination. I had low expectations for this movie when I walked into the theater but was blown away. Probably the best zombie apocalypse movie I've ever seen. Just great. Definitely recommended for all to go see.

17. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    You know I heard the exact same thing from many people who saw it.

I myself saw a few parts of the movie on youtube and all I can say is that I was disappointd by the too fake and computer made zombies in the movie on the contrary to 28 Weeks Later zombies that were much more realistic.

18. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is disappointing, because they do look a bit crap, would have been much better with real people, because if its real people then it looks like a real virus.