Hungarian Horsebow Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by oisin, Oct 28, 2008.

1. oisin

oisin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

So I'm looking to buy one of the Hungarian horsebows, for use both in target archery and in a boffer sport (read: fake medieval combat with foam weapons, similar to SCA but we pad our weapons not our people) where bow draw is strictly limited to 35 lbs @ 28".

So, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with any of these guys? Kassai, Grozer, Toth, etc? Specifically, I'm looking at maybe going with Grozer's "Old Scythian" because it's cheap or his "Hungarian of the Middle Ages" because it seems like an amazing bow, if I think I can stomach the price. I've heard from multiple sources Kassai doesn't live up to his reputation. There's also a (semi)-local store that carries bows by a group calling themselves Flagella Dei--does anyone have one of their bows, or have any knowledge about them?

Thanks!

Oisin

2. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Hi Oisin

I've owned a couple of Grozer Hungarian bows (an extra III & a tri-laminated). Personally I'd avoid a non-laminated model especially if you're going to be buying a draw weight approaching your maximum. They're very fast bows and they also, in my experience, tend to lose their shape / follow the string quickly, if it's non-laminated so will end up spraying all over the place even if you've got a pretty good technique. A laminated bow will negate some of that. Dropping the draw weight will also improve accuracy. Grozer bows are pretty decent but draw weights are often inaccurate. I had a 40 lb (actual weight 48 lb) and a 45 lb (51 lb).

No experience of the other makes you mention...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Some of my friends have Grozer and Kassai bows, they seem happy with them but I personally have never let off more than a couple of arrows out of each so can't comment.

However one chap I know who is a real traditional archery buff, has bought about 5 of the Grozer bows between him and his wife. So they must like them!

4. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I can only speak to two bowyers of horse bows, Kasai and Flagella Dei. I did not like the degree of bow shock I experienced with the Kasai bows. I have a buddy who has one and likes it. I bought a Flagella Dei and like it a lot. Less bow shock than the Kasai (I know there are a whole host of reasons for and ways to minimize bow shock but.....). I also liked the idea that the Flagella Dei bow had horn facings on the syhas. It was a nice touch. Now having said that, Flagella Dei has had some issues with quality and consistency. Another bowyer who I deal with used to carry the Flagella Dei bows but no longer does due to quality. They were all replaced but it is hard to carry a line when there are quality issues. My presonal bow I have had for over 4 years now and have had no issues with it. This bowyer now carries the Kasai bows, but then he also used to share vendor space with the USA distributor for Kasai bows. My buddy with the Kasai has had no issues with his.

One thing to remember about horse bows is that a 40 pound draw weight bow will shoot more like a 55 pound bow due to the shape of the bow and the mechanics of how the stored energy gets transfered into the arrow. Horse bows can also be overdrawn. That is, if you buy a true English Longbow they are typically rated to specific draw lengths. Again all this relates to the bow mechanics but quite simply once the string at the bow limb tip reaches 90 degrees any continued drawing increases that angle and results in bow stacking. Because horse bows have the large syhas, forrunner to recurve bows, they can be drawn to the rear shoulder instead of the jaw or corner of mouth. In fact if you use the thumb draw with a horse bow theoretically it should be drawn to the rear shoulder. Personally I'm lucky to hit the ground when using the thumb draw!

cog

5. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Olsin,
    I have had a Flagella Dei horse bow now for over 5 years and it is still going strong. My bow is a 45 pound draw with horn accents on the syhas. The only issue I have ever had with the bow is the string wrapping on the leather limb cover near the handle came lose when I loaned the bow to my nephew who has a very large hand. I have since rewrapped the bow and had no issues. There was a point in time when Elk Ridge Archery, a very reputable and honest bowyer, was carrying the Flagella Dei bows. There was some problem with the syhas but Flagella Dei replaced all the bows with no issues. I personally have not had any issues with mine.

Search tags for this page
best rated hungarian horsebows
flagella bows
flagella dei
flagella dei bow reviews
flagella dei bows

flagella dei bows review

flagella dei horsebow review
flagella dei opinions
flagella dei review
grozer bow review
grozer bows review