HP help...

Discussion in 'Harry Potter' started by StarTrooper3000, Jan 23, 2007.

1. StarTrooper3000

StarTrooper3000 Realm Warrior

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey, to start off with, I am not a fan of Harry Potter. At all. Not even a smidgen. But, for some reason SOOOOOOOO many people are, most likely everyone who is reading this. I was just looking for someone to explain to me or give me a few pointers as to why HP is so good. I just can't seem to get it and I figure people here might be able to help.

NOTE: I read half the first book (I had to stop because I was disgusted with how...yuck it was. I also watched the latest movie...the one with the dragon's egg and holding breath under water and stuff; that did nothing for me either, in fact I disliked it more.

2. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Okay, well, the reason I love HP so much is probably down to the fact that I've grown up with Harry in a way. I've always felt connected to him. I started reading HP when I was just a bit younger than Harry was in the first book and when the last book comes out, I'll only be a year older than he will be (I assume). I guess I first loved it because I was young and I just really loved the adventure in the books. And I still love it now, perhaps because I feel loyal to the books, and I still enjoy the story.

I don't know if I'd like them now if I hadn't been introduced to the books until now. Maybe not, but I don't really care. I'm glad I like them anyway; one more jewel of enjoyment in my life.

3. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I love it because it takes me away from this world and I love the humour and the jokes. I also love the fact that it touches on things like Racism in a subtle way with the Purity of Blood and Muggleborn thing and that Voldemort is the latter day Wizard version of Hitler.

But most of all I love it because of Hermione and Snape. Those are the two characters that I can relate to; I have to relate to characters and situations for me to like a book; also I can completely understand the school politics and favourtism that goes on between teachers and kids like Potter and Black whom I hate with a vengeance by the way.

I like the suspense; the mystery, the tricks the twins play in the books.

Oh, and I started reading them when I was nineteen years old. Before I read Lord of the Rings.

4. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    i agree with kestrel in that i grew up with it which is one of the reasons I love it. That and the fact that J.K. Rowling is an artist with sublety in that she can hide plot clues everywhere and still people have no idea what is going to happen next. That and I love how dynamic the characters are. Each character has so many facets to there personality.

5. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    no reason to reply then.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  6. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Exactly!! Now, while it is quite obvious that JK's style of writing is rather simplistic, in that it is very accessible to children (one of the things that many HP-dislikers have an annoying tendency of bashing), she is also very subtle with plot clues and such, and that is something I also love about her and the books. Good point, DragonQueen.

Confessor, to be honest, the only one here seeming to be offensive about anything is you. StarTrooper never mentioned anywhere in his post that he thought people who liked HP were stupid. He merely mentioned that he happened not to like what he's read/seen of it, and was therefore curious why exactly so many other people like it. I don't take offense at the fact that he doesn't like it - everyone has different tastes. For example, I'm not exactly one for romance novels. It really doesn't interest me at all. Yet it is interesting to learn what it is about them that other people like. So:

"useless topic?" - I don't think it's useless; it's enlightening.

"Because you know full-well that my fellow HP fans and I are going to try to get you to read them by giving you our opinions on why we like the series." - Firstly, he didn't say that he didn't want us to try and persuade him. Secondly, he blatently says that he wants our opinions on why we like the series. So what are you trying to get at?

"If you are a fan of the series then discuss it but please don't hate it for the simple fact that you couldn't finish the book" - What, so people who don't like HP aren't allowed to express their views?! Try not to be so narrow-minded. It's insulting to the human race.

"because you were too busy crying about why you don't like it." - No need.

7. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    No comment then.

8. StarTrooper3000

StarTrooper3000 Realm Warrior

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ...I forgot this thread was here. So I read along and I couldn't understand confessor's first post here, "no reason to reply then" Ummm...yeah. Thanks for the post kestrel; I was very much aware that I was walking a fine line announcing on a HP board that I'm not a fan and not making people peode (sp?). So the only part of the post that I did see, what you quoted, doesn't surprise me one bit.

Anyway, I do respect your opinions and I DID ask for them. And I can see why you enjoyed the series. I am a fan of much darker, more realistic styles of writing. Gary Jennings, George R R Martin, and a few others come to mind. But, at the same time I know I've read (and loved) books where I could put myself in the main character's shoes, even if for a little while because there was such a cool connection there -- one that kind of helps shape the imagination, you know? I think HP was just a little too out of the norm for me to allow myself to get stuck in Harry's shoes (I can't name anyone else but Dumbledoor...); maybe too much magic for me? IDK, I'm kind of science orientated, so I get caught up with things like that.

9. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Well you should have stuck with it until Snape turned up; he's kind of dark and Potions is close to scientific stuff; he even calls it a subtle science where no magic is required.

I like Harry Potter because they're subtle thrillers for children yet even adults can get bamboozled by them... like when I read the first book for the first time I believed Harry that Snape was out to get the Stone but at the end of the book when it turned out to be last person I expected I almost fell out of bed. Never made that mistake again. I loved the twists and turns.

Perhaps you ought to try reading Order of the Phoenix; that ones very dark and pretty gritty. So is Half Blood Prince... and that's another great thing about them... you don't really need to read them all; as towards the end they begin to talk about their older adventures.

Also as I was reading it I was brought back to my school days and I had teachers like McGonnagall; Snape; and Hooch. My Headmaster though was nothing like Dumbledore. I was bullied mercilessly like Snape was when he was a kid; and I suppose that's why I like them as well; I can relate to the characters because I've been there or known types like... and generally the type I hated at school get killed in the HP universe.

I don't like things to be too real because I suffer enough reality; and I need escapism; and that is why I love Harry Potter so.

10. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I love this quote sooo much! And i agree whole heartedly i much prefer the extraordinary to the common place and would rather delve into a world far from my normal world.. but if you like real read Battle Royale..it isnt really a fantasy book but it is about a alternate realtiy in japan where the goverment has been facist because we never bombed them during WWII and now they have implemnted a system where they force students to kill each other...

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I've read the Harry Potter books, and yes, they do have some dimension of reality, etc. I've enjoyed them to a certain extent, but I'd hardly call myself a raving fan.

However, given your list of favorite authors, I think I might understand the problem - HP is, after all, focused mainly on kids for characters, and that will influence the material very strongly. Lots of people say that it's realistic, bloody, violent, etc.... but it is NOTHING on the lines of ASoIaF (which happens to be my own favorite epic fantasy series.) Still, it's good for a light read, if a little too one-dimensional for my taste with the whole good vs. evil battle - it's one reason why I never quite fully bonded with Jordan or Goodkind either. ASoIaF, on the other hand, is all about humans. Yes, we sympathize more strongly with some characters than other (Ned vs. Cersei, for example) but there's no lines of 'good' and 'evil' drawn the way there is with HP.

Just my two cents. :)

Oh, and by the way, you might want to try Neil Gaiman's American Gods if you haven't done so already. :) Sounds like the kind of book you might enjoy. Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars is in many ways like ASoIaF as well, if slightly drier; it's a lot harder to get through.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  12. Aerosia

Aerosia Luna Vinco

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In truth, your finding no particular attraction for the books is just the opinionative nature of humans kicking it. HP makes some people tick and others not. It's the same with so many other things too.

13. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +213 / 0 / -0
    I enjoy them because they are great reads. And I enjoy seeing Rowling's writing grow better and better each book that comes out.
    I started reading them when I was around 20 (maybe older) I enjoy how they the pull me in. These books are wonderful.
    And I am someone who loves authors like Martin as well. So its not about style, its all about interesting stories.

14. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The first two books are a little more childish than the rest, (as he is younger than, and they're written more for children), so if you only read the first book and didn't like it this could be why. Also, don't judge the books by what the movies are like. The movies are terrible. I suggest you read the rest of the books and you might start to enjoy them more.