How to spot a scam.

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by Harrison, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How do you spot a scam? Well, I'm not sure, but sure would like to know.

2. Ender

Ender New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The number one way to spot a scam is if they do not say anywhere on the page United Cutlery. Some sellers are so sneaky that they will call a sword "Official" but do not mention United Cutlery. Also, if the picture in the description does not match the swords you have seen discussed on this forum. Another thing that points to a scam would be very new sellers with almost no feedback trying to sell limited Andurils or anyother UC products. Also, if you see a pattern in their feedback such as "lost items", "items lost in mail", "no product but refund given" thats a dead sign of a dead beat.

I had an encounter on E-bay with a seller with 100% postive feedback and over 300 comments. After I sent payment for my Striders Ranger Sword, I began to see a pattern of "lost in mail" items. Things quickly degenerated and he hide all his feedback comments. Almost 3 months, 9 angry e-mails, and 27 negative comments from other customers I got my money back. I guess you have to be extremely carefull and read between the lines in the comments if you buy off of E-bay.

Also, want to add you should be wary of sellers who do not specialize in selling swords or collectables. If you see a seller selling T-shirts, car parts etc. You may want to avoid. Oh, and watch out for auctions that do not say "New In Box" "NIB". I'm sure there are sellers out there who might try to sell used swords.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  3. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.

4. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    For websites, always look for phone numbers and call. Addresses on a site are also a sign of the real thing. look the address up on yellow pages or something to see if it matches.

5. Durthang

Durthang Demon of Might

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you aren't going to buy from a recognised store such as BBB, then it's very much a case of caveat emptor, but if you are going to go down that road I would personally recommend only buying from someone with a proven reputation, particulary if it's a word of mouth recommendation from someone you know. The first sword I bought (Narsil) was on ebay and was actually advertised as official UC and used official product photos, but when it arrived it clearly wasn't. I managed to convince the supplier it was in their best interests to give me a refund, and needless to say they are no longer trading on ebay.

6. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've had good luck on ebay so far.

7. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    me to. I bought Glamdring on Ebay. However, buying from a reputable dealer is always better.

8. Hiraeth

Hiraeth New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dont be fooled bt words such as real or genuine - only the word authentic is legally binding (n the US). UC provides detailed specs and pics which you can save or print out so if you do buy elsewhere you can carefully check against this. If the price seems too cheap be very wary. I saw a sword for sale that looked so like a UC one so I asked the deller straight and it wasnt - so I didnt buy. Personally if its not definately UC I wouldnt touch it but that a personal opinion.
    One more thing - tickets - always buy from the box office and heep thee receipts. I had more problems with tickets than everything else put together.