How to reuse the leather waste?

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by jc2003lt, Mar 15, 2004.

1. jc2003lt

jc2003lt New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The leather waste is the bigest problem for the development of leather industry. Has anyone got great idea to deal with? :halo:

2. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You could always use it to make pouches and charm holders. and ties (hair ties and hair pieces. I use waste to make bottle and cup holders as well that fit onto your waist piece. I also make medicine ouched and my personla one is filled with crystals, sage and an eagle feather. Mine was also blessed by a shaman, to bring me great luck.

3. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    jc2003lt,
    Leather waste, now there's an interesting concept - recycling from a recylcing industry. You see, leather is the waste of the beef industry. Folks who get upset because some of us use things made out of leather should actually get upset at the beef eaters of the world, can we say MacDonalds the world's larget consumer of beef. Leather product users are actually being environmentally friendly by recycling a waste product.

I KNOW YOU QUESTION WAS NOT ABOUT THIS THOUGH!

I also keep most of my scrap leather to use for small projects like tankard straps, small pouches, reinforcement etc. Unfortunately though, due to the irregular shape of hides and brand and range marks and....... there is scrap. If you know an instrument maker perhaps you could sell the scrap to them so they could grind it up to make hide glue. Fine instrument makers have used hide glue for centuries because it allows them to deconstruct the instrument for repair simply by heating the glue. It is a great glue. The main problem though is that because it s bilogical product bacteria and other nasties get in it and eat it - so the instrument falls apart after a few years. Now let's see, what happened to that Stradivarious violin I had?????????

:balrog:

4. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hehehhe, i think termites got it LOL
    Glad to have you back, i missed ya Christophe.

5. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    waenlotien,
    This is a bit off topic for the froum but.......We HAD a Japaneese maple in our front yard that was large and beautiful. The largest of its kind a friend of ours who is quite the plant person had ever seen. Well this year it never leaved out. As we looked closer we noticed the tell tale signs of termite dust around the base of the trunk. (North Carolina speak here) Them danged varmits got to ma tree! Dang their hides!!!!! The tree is now dead. We are very sad.

6. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    aaawwww, i am so sorry Christophe. Make some of that there glue you was talkin bout and rustle up them varmits hehehehe

there now its back on topic hehehehe

7. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah! That's it! Varmits in glue. Wait! Hasn't that been done before? Isn't that called Amber?

Search tags for this page
idea of reusing waste leather pieces
re use of waste product of leather

reuse leather

reuse leather pieces
reuse of leather waste