How to make a bow.

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by waenlotien, Nov 18, 2003.

1. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Most common arrow material is pine, cedar, red deal or silver fir (well in Europe it is :))

2. Soulsmith

Soulsmith Forging souls anew...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well my longbow is literally bigger than me and is basically a stick of yew that has been bent and stringed. i need better string because mine isnt strong enough and I really need a way to get more distance

3. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Cast (distance) is all down to a combination of the bow itself (wood, draw weight etc), correctly spined/weighed arrows, string & probably most importantly technique (particularly release).

Strings ~ more strands = more accuracy but slower, less = faster. Most common string used is dacron for longbows. A far faster string is fastflight, which if correctly laid in on the loops has been used successfully on longbows. The string is however very unforgiving ie there's little 'give' in it. In most bowyers view this will almost certainly lead to a shorter bow life as the shock is absorbed by the wood rather than shared with the string so use with caution! I have fastflight on a 55lb longbow which I use for target and clout ~ it will easily send the arrow 250yds which is probably 20yds more than it ever achieved with dacron.

4. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    for anyone who has a question about making bows or arrows. go to buildabow.com

5. The Storm

The Storm New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a bow-maker myself and i have hade some major sucess with just a well chosen tree limb shaped into a bow. I can't really explain the process but it usually takes me about 3-4 months to make a cruddy bow and 6-7 months for a good one.

P.S. Cedar (in my opinion) is the best for arrows. Just store bought dowel rods are quick and easy to to turn into arrows and work decently.

6. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

that's so interesting ^.^

Search tags for this page

how to make a bow in fantasy