How often do you read fan fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Crouton, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Just as the questions states, how often do you read fan fiction. A lot? Never?

I myself can go through stages of being pretty obsessed with it. I'll go months without reading any, then suddenly I will want to read it every single day as much as I can.

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I went through a big LoTR fan fiction phase a few years ago. Some of the fanfic writers have some pretty neat insights and ideas on Tolkein's original work. I remember one story in particular about Galadriel and Celeborn that struck me as amazing. What would it be like to be married to a ring-bearer? I always thought that Celeborn is very much in the background in LoTR... it was nice to read somebody's ideas about who he might have been.
    www.fanfiction.net is a good site to find fan fiction of any kind.

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah FF.net is the main site I use. I added it to the favourites on my phone and use it almost every day. It's a good site to organise the stories you are reading. You can keep favourites etc, and be alerted of new chapters.

4. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    just about never...

5. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    There's also www.wattpad.com. They aren't dedicated to fanfiction, but they do have a fanfic section and there's over 800 000 stories in it. Wattpad's a little more graphical in it's interface than fanfiction.net is (it's much newer) and I think their search functions are a little more robust, making it easier to find the stuff you're looking for. You can also organize your stories there (almost like the bookshelves on www.goodreads.com), vote for your favourite stories, and become a fan of your favourite authors. You can configure your settings so that you get emails when one of the authors you've fanned posts a new chapter or story. Wattpad's a REALLY active site.... TONS of new stuff going up all the time.

6. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Wow thanks, I haven't seen that site before but I just had a look and it loos great. I will definitely check it out.

7. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    You're welcome! :)
    If you like original works and sci fi... I recommend checking out Gavin Wilson ("the Orangutan") there... I love his sci fi stories!

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I have read fan fiction in the past, and I may in the future, although the legal issues are a bit of a turn off.

I committed fan fiction once, but that computer crashed and I hadn't backed up that story. All for the best; if I want to revisit the idea I can do it with original characters.

Most of the fan fiction I've read was Star Trek. That's TOS, from the days when there wasn't anything but TOS.