How much has Euro changed your life?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    A few years ago Euro came into our lives changing the currencies most of us had for decades.
    Was it for good or for bad?Did Euro bring this economical strenght our leaders had promised us?Do you feel more "powerful" and more "rich" now with Euro or is it the other way around?
    Did Euro really affect our lives or not?

From what I see in my country Euro has been a disaster.Many people want the Drachma back and I personally can't really get used to Euro.We've all got used to Drachmas and we treat the Euro banknotes in a similar way.For example,about 10 years ago a child could get about 500 drachmas or 1000 drachmas to spend per day or about 2,000 drachmas to go out for a coffee.Now it's at least 20 Euro for that.

When the grandparents,uncles,aunties,godfather and other relatives came to visit at a celebration they usually gave me about 5,000 drachmas or 10,000 drachmas banknotes.The highest ones.Now they give me 50 Euro banknotes which are about 17,000 drachmas.

Apart from all that there prices have gone up but the salaries have remained more or less the same.We get tricked when we buy something.When something used to cost a 100 drachmas coin,now it's 1 Euro.That's about 3 times the price.Even junkies that used to "ask" for people at the street to give them 100 drachmas so they could "get a ticket" now ask for
    1 Euro.

And let's not forget that with Euro we have become walking piggy-banks with all the coins in our pockets.

2. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I think your experience of retailers 'rounding up' prices with the introduction of the Euro is pretty universal. More irritating are companies who launch the same product in both the US & Europe (Europe having the larger market size) yet price it as if the the Euro & US$ are at parity which of course they're not. End result is a 40% rip-off for EU customers (although this will often but not always include EU VAT). The classic example of such pricing strategies is the Sony PS3 on launch. If that wasn't bad enough as the UK is still using £sterling our prices are usually 'rounded up' again from the already inflated Euro prices :(

On a positive side the Euro has brought a lot of currency stability to the region but invariably that has bought an unequal distribution of benefits across such a varied continent. There are winners and losers in terms of cost of living and employment to name just a couple of areas. This isn't helped by artificial manipulation of certain sectors most noteably agriculture. The Euro makes life a lot easier for visiting / travelling through Europe. Last year we went on a cruise around the Med. At each port of call we were able to use the one currency rather than mucking about with loads. With the spare cash, we also went over to Paris for the weekend .... end result much happiness but much thinner wallet :D

The Euro isn't going anywhere and kids are now being brought up not knowing anything different. Once companies realise that their customers don't appreciate being ripped off, the pricing will sort itself out. What would be interesting next is a global currency....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I can imagine that.. the main difference which I see that you were used to very high numbers :) now all you got is 20, 50 and not 10000 :D isnt that less counting? its more comfortable, isnt it? I dont have Euro where I live so it didnt effect me but if i plan on going abroad to a country which has Euro then I have to change my money to Euro.. thats a bit frustrating , cuz its even bigger than dollar.. but anyway, everything has its advantages and disadvantages.

4. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Not really.It's not comfortable.On the contrary we get confused and consider the prices too little while they are actually far more expensive than we think.

5. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    In Germany, we don't have that big problem with Euro. It's like the half of our former D-Mark so even maths-n00bs like me can calculate the difference XD
    A positive thing is that Euro is international which is a great advantage for travellers. I could use Euro while I was in Rome two months ago and was able to compare the prices with those at home. Same thing when I'm in the Netherlands.
    We aren't annoyed by the Euro coins either because we had even more coins in our D-Mark times.
    Furthermore, I don't really care about the prices or salaries because....well, if you were in Germany before you should know that everything is MUCH more expensive than in other countries because of our beloved tax system (20% VAT; about 50% - 60% wage tax, etc.).

6. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The exact same thing happened when we changed to decimal currency from shillings. When I was a kid old people were still going "I still can't get used to this new money..." 20 years after it had been introduced. The "price hikes" are partially to do with shopkeepers rounding up but much more to do with inflation. It goes on all the time and always has, you just have another apparent culprit to blame for its effects now. Money is worth less and less over time, when I was a kid you could buy a good house for 100k. Now (even after conversion) it wouldn't get you anywhere to live. In a five year period (before changeover) alcohol and tobacco more than doubled in price. It's not the fault of the Euro, you just have a benchmark to measure against now.

7. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I still like the old Deutsche Mark!:(

I remember when I was a kid and people on the news were always talking about U.S. Dollar and Deutsche Mark.And the banknotes were very beautiful too!

[​IMG]

8. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That note was used in the 60s. I can only remember the 1000 Mark note with the brothers Grimm

9. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I can honestly say that the Euro has not changed my life one bit at all. :D

10. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I think the Euro changed very little - other then to those people who had large sums of money in the bank.

I would say that, in the 6 years we have the Euro, the Euro has lost about 20-40% of it's original value (2.20371 guilders to the Euro). The first two years or so were dramatically, the term "creative calculation" was coined for having 1 Euro to 2 Guilders, which is a loss of 20% right there. In two years time, that 20% was totally lost. Please mind that we were used to about 1% inflation a year, which made the Guilder one of the most stable coins in the world.

This led to low consumer optimism, which hurted the economy a lot. Only in the past 2 years or so, has the economy been able to pull out of the dip.

Now, though, the Euro seems to be doing quite well. I can't say I want to go back to the old system. There might be problems, though, when the ECB decides to make actions to favor the bigger countries, which are not necesserally at the benefit of the smaller ones. I see that happening in the middle-long term. That's when I'll probably start to yell Guilder again :)

11. Count Driloz

Count Driloz Illyrian Witchking

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    One word for this:

All the prices are double

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    And the salaries remained the same!

13. Rychos

Rychos What's Up, Doc?

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The euro. It came and was forced down our throat to swallow. Right after that all the prices went up. They all said things wouldn't change much, but people ripped each other off en masse. Inflation went berserk. Meanwhile the minister of finance at the time was just faking as if nothing had happened at all. I despise that man. Also didn't take them long to remove the 1 cent out of the shops and screw us over with that as well.

The designs are god-awful disgusting. Most of the coins can't be told apart from each other at first glance. They even attempted new words for the individual pieces of coin/paper like we used to have. Each and everyone as hollow as the one before.

2.20371 I know it from the top of my head and I still calculate all prices back to guldens. It really shows you how much they're trying to screw you over.

You can't even be proud of a stronger euro compared to the US$ because that's mostly self-inflicted, so not really an achievement.

It's impossible to go back now, but in my eyes it needs some serious rethinking.

Since the euro the only signal I got from europe was one of arrogance and bureaucrats trying to decide about what would be best for us without lack of any vision whatsoever. They decide who gets to join, nobody pays attention to the population. They just do it. And then there's the bigger countries all trying to get their own fat share while trampling the little ones. Oh rules? Oh we don't have to follow those, because we're a big country! We can do whatever we please!

Don't get me wrong. I like an united europe. We had two world wars, we scarred ourselves with it forever and we went from very important to pretty meaningless in an evergrowing world. Nothing would make me feel more proud than being part of an united europe where the greeks, dutch, germans, french, polish, italians, spanish and who knows who else stand side by side like brethren. Like true europeans. We've got the history, we've got the culture, we got the ideas and we certainly made the most errors. From which we bloody well learned. (The hard way though.)

With evergrowing countries like China, we can only stand and survive united. There's not really much of a future for us all on our own. We'll just get washed away in the end. At least, that's what I think.

But it's not that. The europe we got right now is very ugly. A political monstrosity that doesn't communicate with the people it was created for. And the frikkin' euro reminds me of it every single day.

My apologies for the rant. Perhaps not the wisest opinion among them all, but certainly how I feel. Frustrated by all of it.

14. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Foin... you seriously are the biggest conservative i have ever seen!!! :D

i think the euro is great... i can just walse into france without changing currency... how GREAT!!!

15. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately we still have so many differences and we disagree so often I mean can't you see how often various countries disagree about various matters in the European Union?

It would be nice if we were really united and good but we still have many differences and also many countries that are totally irrelevant to Europe are entering,I mean even Turkey wants to become part of the European Union.And former communist countries as well,almost all of those because they have been starving,but hey tell me where are all the millions of those countries gonna come as immigrants?Turkey,Bulgaria etc.all those countries have so many poor people who wanna go to other countries to leave and countries like France,Great Britain and others can't accept a big number of immigrants because they are already full.

One more thing about Euro is that it's kinda..."faceless".I mean yeah come on when we had our currencies back I mean each country,we all had various figures and monuments from our history and past and let's face it having so many different banknotes was nice.I mean all of our banknotes were so beautiful.Deutshe Mark,Austrian Shilling,Finnish Markaa,Italian Liretta,Greek Drachmas,French Franc,Dutch Florins etc.

Now all the Euro banknotes have....bridges and....weird stuff on them!It sucks!And you can't go around carrying all those coins and you can't use so many banknotes,but here's the thing we Greeks are used in using banknotes from when had drachmas and now we feel as if we should mostly use banknotes.And that's what many people do.But coins have a big value too,but you can't just stop and count coins all the time especially when the prices are so high now!

16. Ravus

Ravus New Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Now my country doesn't HAVE the euro... and on the one hand i really like the pound (when i can type it correctly -.-) an all that, on the other i think going towards a united europe is a really good thing and if losing the pound is needed to do that... its a worthy reason for it to die.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  17. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    hopefully you guys will follow...

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    You know what's ironic?That Hitler was the first guy(perhaps after Napoleon,but Napoleon's case is too different)to have a vision of a united Europe against the "Hordes of Asia" and well anyway a united Europe.The bad thing is that he actually wanted a united Europe under the leadership of Germany and thousands of Europeans ready to sacrifice their lives for Germany.That I don't like.Although if you think of it Germany is one of the leading countries in the European Union now and it arms almost all of Europe with its weapons! :eek:

But the Germans make good tanks!:D

19. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think everything has become extremely expensive since we've got Euro.
    Even after all these years I still translate the amounts back to our former currency.
    And that stops me from buying things time and time again. When I find out what the equal price would be in old currency, I just won't buy it anymore.
    Especially clothes and shoes are extremely expensive.

And I agree the original money from European countries was so much more beautiful. I still miss our old money.

20. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I agree with all that you said Gwywen!

I've only had a 500 Euro banknote once in my life!Rarely seen 200 Euro ones...had some 100 ones but not for long....I take 50 Euro out of the bank from my account and the next day in a "mysterious" way I only have about 30-35 Euro!