How many of you use linux?

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by FIFTHWIND, Mar 14, 2012.

1. FIFTHWIND

FIFTHWIND The Kreggorian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is an odd topic for my first real post at TFF, but I'm always curious about this. How many of you use Linux as your primary OS for your personal computers?

There are a lot of flavors of Linux out there too!

I tried out Ubuntu (Debian Linux) in 2003 to see what it was like. I set up a dual-boot machine with windows, feeling that if I ever needed it I could always switch over. The funny thing is that now it's 9 years later and I still have never looked back. I use only linux. The assortment of open source software meets ALL my needs and the stability and customization of linux (specifically ubuntu) makes it an OS that I can see myself using forever. Well, at least until corporate canonical screws it up.

For the record, I use a computer for a LOT of things. I do a ton of writing, both professionally and personal projects. I do website design, and also work with a lot of graphics. My core set of tools and software I use daily are:

Libre Office: This is a highly developed word-processor that I've found to be more functional than MS word. (I'm sure may of you use it. Formally known as OpenOffice)
    Inkscape: This is a vector graphics illustrator. At first look, it appears a little bit "basic" but once you get used to it, it will meet all of your .svg needs and then some.
    GIMP: I don't care what any of the haters say. It is better and more actively developed than Photo Shop. Very powerful graphics program.

I also love:
    Filezilla
    Openshot
    stiardict
    leafpad
    ect ect ect

Although it is not necessary anymore, I've learned my way around the command-line. It is so much faster to do many common tasks with just a short command in a terminal. I've created a series of scripts for stuff I do most often, from video formatting, to MP3 encoding to file-backups.

So, anyone out there also use linux? If so, which distro and what are some of your favorite tools?

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I have a dual boot system on my netbook, with Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.10. I get along with it pretty well, although I don't know much more about how to use it than the average user. Whenever I encounter problems I usually ask my boyfriend (like the stereotypical female user), but I only use my netbook for surfing the web and taking notes during lectures, usually using Libre Office, so I've hardly ever encountered any severe problems before.
    Whenever I have to write essays or papers for university I switch to XP however, only because using Office 2010 is extremely comfortable to work with. I've never used Wine so far and should maybe finally give it a try someday.

I tried out PCLinuxOS a couple of months ago, but I can't say I liked it, so I guess I'll keep on using Ubuntu and Windows XP/7.

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I have Linux Ubuntu 11.10 on Parallels Desktop on my mac, but rarely use it. The main reason is that I have all of the same programs on my mac, so I don't need it for anything else.

I have spoken to a guy that like Fedora, so I'll look into that.

4. Vsalia

Vsalia dfm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I currently am using Ubuntu 12.04. I just recently starting using it as I had to get a new harddrive for my computer, and I didn't have money to buy a new copy of windows. I'd used linux in the past, but never really stuck with it due to the learning curve.

I'm loving how fast it runs on my computer though. Windows is such a resource hog. With linux, my computer feels like a fast computer even though it isn't. Minecraft is the only PC video game I play lol and it runs fantastic on linux (once I get it working again, java is a bitch!)

There's still a few things I miss about windows that I haven't figured out in linux yet. I used to do some let's plays on my youtube, but I can't figure out a method in linux to capture gameplay.

I guess now that I'm forced to use it, I'll end up learning more and more about it. Googling around, I've seen some pretty sweet looking desktops. I've tried out Gnome, but I still can't seem to make my desktop look any cooler than the basics.

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Old, but posting anyway.

I've recently started using Ubuntu 12.04 (dual-boot with Mac OS X 10.8.3) as my web development platform, because I could easily get an Apache server running and install PHP and MySQL.
    The great thing is that both Ubuntu and Mac are UNIX based, so the Terminal commands are all the same (not the vendor-specific ones though) which means that I barely notice a difference: Chrome, Sublime Text 2 and Terminal are all I really use on Ubuntu.

6. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Much more... Muchier

Ratings:
    +227 / 4 / -0
    I tried linux, but it never really worked for my needs. Its a very smooth running and slick looking OS, dont get me wrong, but I play a lot of game, which would be easier and less hassle to deal with on windows (Which is currently running the Windows Classic theme)

7. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I used to, but instead of just patching security issues, they were always upgrading, or else the version I had didn't even get security patches and I would have to switch to a different developer. I've run CentOS, Slackware, Ubuntu, and RedHat at one point or another. There was always that one program you wanted to run that you couldn't get on Linux, or a game you wanted to run. I finally gave up and put Linux in a virtualbox instead of running dual boot and I honestly haven't touched it. The last Ubuntu version I installed looked like they were trying so hard to look like Windows, it was pathetic.

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Honestly I always viewed Linux rather like a kit car for computer people. You don't buy a kit car to drive; you buy it because you want to build it yourself and then tinker with it for ages to fine tune it to your needs, whilst accepting that you might have to tinker with it again every so often.

And to me Linux is like that. If you know your stuff and you want to and can tinker then it can be far superior than some other OS systems that are more "ready out of the box" as it were.

Even as Linux has gained more user friendly and "out of the box ready" versions it still has the tinkering aspect.

For me I game so I don't want an OS that I have to tinker or turn off in order to play and use software so its got no real appeal for me. MS Win 8.1 works fine (actually barring its interface choices I'd say its been the best OS I've used to date in terms of performance and reliability).

I have noticed that Linux is the new Mac in gaming where you've got a lot of companies using "linux compatibility" as part of its marketing and a wider range of titles are getting patched to work with it (GOG now supports it for old games and Steam is pushing it too). But when one looks at the stats its still an utterly tiny market segment (big when viewed at international numbers levels but still tiny compared to Windows and Mac).

9. LK901

LK901 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    STEAM OS is going to kill the gaming argument. Linux has already over a thousand quality games, (a few dozen of which are AAA), and many more being developed.
    I use Linux, btw. Until recently I had a powerful desktop with Arch, but after the graphics card sizzled up I brought out an old laptop and put Ubuntu on it.

10. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I have both w8.1 and ubuntu 14.04 on my lappy....

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    If you ever look at something like Humble Bundle sales stats then Linux and Mac together generally makes up a few percent - maybe around 10% of so of sales if that.

Steam OS is going to be tiny, really really tiny .

Honestly Linux and Mac have had years nad they are still tiny blips in the gamer world

12. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Been using Fedora 21 for the past year in the Computer Science lab, but there really is very little difference from my day-to-day use of my Mac; I program in Vim in the Terminal, I can choose Chrome, Firefox or Opera for web, Thunderbird for mail, GIMP for image editing (I'm more used to Photoshop but with a little extra learning a lot can be done in GIMP too), etc.

Linux distros are a lot more into working out-of-the-box now and can be great if you want a fast computer for pretty much anything other than gaming or enterprise work, but it is also really customisable on so many levels (from the interface to the actual OS). I think it's going to be used a lot more now, but will never replace the giants that are Windows and Mac, as they remain the standards for industry work and will probably always be more advanced in certain ways thanks to money and only some bickering.

So I've been setting up Arch Linux on a Raspberry Pi 2 which was fun and definitely educational; I realised that I only really need very few features to happily and efficiently use a computer: quite a sobering thought.