How many books do you have?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Emelie, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I bought some books today and I realized I'm at 299, almost reached 300 books! Not counting the books that aren't fantasy/sci fi.

How many do you have? Have any limit or goals?

I just love books and collect them, hoping to be able to have a library/study filled with lovely books in the future.

2. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am a bit ashamed, filling a room with an own library, contained not only fantasy books but books of all kinds/subjects, fiction and non-fiction, famous authors/non-famous ones, different languages and different epochs. I like collecting antiquities.
    My oldest book dates back 1817. It is called "Tableau de l'histoire universelle" and it is a French history book. On the first page it contains a dedication from a teacher to a pupil and the book was once property of the Collège Royale de Clermont.
    I love those things as well, dearly, I have to admit :)

Well, you can hang on another "0" to your number.

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That must look awesome. And quite the collection as well! Must be cool to have a book from 1817. My grandmother own a journal written by a young woman sometime in 1800's. Someday I gotta snatch that! It was really hard to read though, have you read yours?

4. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I have read it. It is really unfortunate that in 19th century paper was very acid containing thus colouring the pages brown and makes them fragile. You really have to turn the leaves very carefully.

EDIT: Now I imagine that you mean the way of writing. Mine is a printed version not a handwritten.

EDIT II: I thought it would be better to post the living example, because it is difficult to understand how such an old print looks like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Dunno how many books I have, but it's nothing compared to the number of books I've read.

We have some books from my grandmother's grandmother early 1800s. I wonder if the date is in them.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    We've got books in every room in the house... but only special or rare editions, Easton Press and Franklin Library leather bounds, Folio Society cloth-in-box(my favorites because they have illustrations), and signed editions... I've got books signed by Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, Joyce Carol Oates, Caleb Carr, Anne Perry (when she was a teenager she helped bludgeon her best friend's mother to death, was convicted of murder, changed her name, and went on to become a best selling mystery writer), and others. I love finding a quirky edition of a book I really liked... Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell with a white cover instead of black, War of the Worlds illustrated by Edward Gorey, Days of Magic Nights of War purple cover, Lord of the Rings with a fold out map.

Don't know how many though... probably around a 100, perhaps more. And none of them are really old... I don't like the smell of old books, it's like walking into an antique shop... smells like decay and death to me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I have 500 + in my appartment . And some more in my cottage never counted them. I don't know the exact number... Maybe one day i will count them. I have a byzantine lexicon which is my oldest book from 1868 second edition in two tomes (a-m) (n-z) that my uncle who is professor in munich gave it to me as a birthday present.

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Wow that looks really old and fragile as you say. It's too bad with the acid, I think the journal my grandmother owns is in a better condition though, so one can read without the fear of crumbling the pages.

9. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Not only old books that smell like that, I bought a hard to find, used book from Amazon, and it smelled like that, or like old cellar and mold, I could barely read it!

Well one needs to have many books in order to create a library haha. I think my oldest book is from the 1990s. Not impressive at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I counted all the books in my house a few years back and now there's more so it's probably going to be between 3,000 and 4,000. In my room only - probably 400+. Most of the books belong to my parents of course, but it's mostly fiction and I consider them to be mine as well (having read many of them and being the person they will eventually end up with anyway). We have some books from XIX century too, they are pretty cool indeed. Also I collect books in different languages (so far in: Polish, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Czech and Saami.)