How do you write?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Druid of Lûhn, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I wonder, how do the people who write here actually write? I'm not talking about style or the story creation process, but more about the place you write, the medium you write with (pen & paper, computer, which program, etc).

Do you have a set of steps you go through whenever you start writing? Or do you like to have specific surroundings? A comfy chair? Loads of objects to spark your imagination or something minimal to allow free thought?

I found this old thread about location if anybody's interested http://www.thefantasyforum.com/threads/where-do-you-write.25202/

2. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    Well, I like to write somewhere quiet or at least relatively quiet, I'm a pen and paper kind of person, I like the idea of the words flowing from your brain, into your hand, into the pen and onto the paper, I get distracted by so many other things if I use a laptop.
    I usually do a quick brainstorm, because chances are I'll have some sort of distraction somewhere during my writing and having a brainstorm helps me get my thoughts back on track
    I do prefer to have comfortable surroundings, like a pillow, blankets, I don't like sitting upright at a desk, and I like a room full of objects, perhaps ideas I could use for my writing, memories connected to childhood objects for example

• Like Like x 1
  3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I've come to realise that I'm probably a pen and paper kind of person, as it helps me actually write instead of endlessly planning, skirting the problems and never getting anywhere.
    As to the rest, well I've not written enough to know, as I never really feel ready to write…

4. Hatecroft

Hatecroft I'm what was waiting for Harley Warren...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I write on my laptop. In my bedroom. As and when the muse strikes. I used to use pen and paper, but since I've adopted new technology I can't imagine doing it any other way. Plus, the ability the replace text is a godsend: when I think back to my unfortunately-unforgotten youth and the hours I spent tapping away on a typewriter...well, if time machines existed I'd go back and slap myself in the face.

Word-processors are a godsend to me. At this point I really couldn't imagine writing without one. The surroundings don't really signify - all that matters is the process of getting my thoughts on a page.

For me, computers serve that purpose admirably.:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I write on my laptop, and I like it better than writing on a piece of paper because I hate my handwriting (it's so bad that I can't understand my own style at times and I have to try hard to decipher whatever I wrote). I write on pieces of paper as well, if I don't have the computer with me, but I rarely copy the contents on my laptop. The pieces of paper magically disappear (the second reason why I prefer using a laptop), and I also usually find it harder to organise my writing on a piece of paper, (third reason) than when using a laptop. There are, of course, advantages and disadvantages to the both sides of the story, but I think I am more inclined towards using a laptop when my creative process is involved.

When it comes to the place or space I prefer for my writing... it mostly depends on whatever my mood might be. I can usually write anywhere, in any type of environment (if it's not outrageously dirty or noisy or in any way dangerous, of course), but I prefer writing when I'm alone, using a desk, with the lights off (which I hear is not good for my eyes, so I had to give up this vicious habit). I usually like it when it's tidy around me, so I can concentrate only on my writing, even though pieces of paper and books don't distress me (they actually help my creative process).

EDIT:
    OH! I forgot to say... in the past I couldn't write without music. Nowadays it distracts me. I can write with music on the background only at times, and it depends whether I can make a connection between that music and what I'm writing. I usually give up without really trying because I might get disturbed if I don't find an harmony between my music and my writing... and I might end up destroying my creative mood. So, well, at times it's just me and the sound of (my fingers) tapping on those small buttons. And my writing, of course, it comes first.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    I love writing to soft background music

7. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I like to write my first billion drafts on paper, (not literally a billion, just too many to count because I always come up with a different way to write something, or something that I feel would go good here or there). I do all of it on paper first though, all my maps, all my background, world building junk, and so on and so forth. usually once I'm done with a chapter (maybe one of these days) I type it out on a computer/laptop, only when I feel comfortable with what I've written to begin with.

I can only write if I have the paper on a hard surface like my desk, or if I'm on holiday, a table. I've tried writing on my bed, but I just kinda get too comfortable and never get anything done. I enjoy having music going in the background, not too loud to distract me, (even though it always seems to anyways) but just loud enough for me to hear the music. doesn't matter what kind of music it is. I also enjoy writing during a thunderstorm, not sure why, but it always gives me a good vibe.

I am trying to write down brainstorm ideas now so I can maybe have an outline of where I want my story to go and I just gotta work it all together with filling. seeing this thread reminds me I should probably get some writing done. that will be a quest for tomorrow.

8. eyva

eyva Bloody Lady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's a tough question, because I don't have any particular habits. In most cases, I write the whole process of "brainstorming" in a notebook. I like planning, so I often create "character sheets" for the most important heroes. I draw maps, describe roughly important places and events. I have prepared a table to describe the scenes. This "preparation" is for me the most fun!

When it comes to the proper writing, I sit in front of a laptop. I use a program called "yWriter5" - it's the best software for writers! You can divide the text into chapters and scenes. Later, if you don't like the location of some scene, you can easily move it elsewhere. The program is simple and it isn't distracting. I really recommend it!

The background - any music distracts me, so I can't listen anything while writing. My parrots are pretty loud, so I often have to close myself the attic ;) It's quiet and nobody bothers me there. While writing I love to eat something tasty, especially some home-grown fruit.

9. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    I write in the dirt with a stick .

10. Tavar Dresden

Tavar Dresden Mortal Champion of the Unseelie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like to get into the atmosphere of my book. I only write fantasy/swords and sorcery, so I like to write next to the log fire, while having a delicious ale pie. A few fantasy books around me, such as The Hobbit and The Deed of Paksenarrion. I also do some of my best writing while out in the woods camping. I much prefer writing with pen and paper.