How do you train?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Orkin, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ...for the time when 1000's of orcs come teaming over the hill...

Do you play in the SCA with the rattan sticks? Are you in one the boffer groups like Belegarth or Dagorhir? Do you learn out of the old medieval fechbuchs? Do you just swing your sword around in the backyard?

What? How?

:fightyou: :fightyou: :fightyou: :fightyou: :fightyou: :fightyou: :fightyou:

2. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am in the SCA and my shire has a battle master who holds fighter practice every Fri. night. We pratcice 1 on 1 2 on 1 and melee. at home I have a home made pell that I practice combinations on at least an hour a day.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm in a metal weapons dark ages re-enacting group. We train every Sunday from 9am till whenever people leave (usually ~1pm), and we do one on one and melees, which is where the fun is :) We regularly get 15-16 fighters on the field which ain't bad for our location :) And because we fight to the touch, not full contact, we've got some seriously kick-ass women fighters too.

All our weapons are metal, with a 3mm edge for safety, although advanced combat (rapiers, cutlasses etc) use 1.5mm and 2mm edges as only experienced fighters qualify for advanced combat. We 'pull' our blows upon contact so we don't kill each other, but we go hard and fast until you make that killing move.

It's great fun and highly recommended for anyone who wants to play (safely) with swords :)

4. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Right now my brother and me fight by ourselves. But I am considering joining the S.C.A. once I get my driver's license. I don't think the police would like me riding into town.

5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am in the SCA, we practice with rattan sticks, but at home I practice with me real sword on a few different things. One is a large canvas bag that I fill with foam.
    The other is a dummy that moves (my kids pull the cords) it is made of rubber.

6. Tawnos

Tawnos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SCA... I'm pretty new...still need to get a couple pieces of armor done (elbows and knees) before doing one on one fighting... so I'm doing lots of pel work until I can play...er...fight one vs one.... our group practices every sat

7. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I would really like to join. The S.C.A. has the kind of combat I enjoy. I realize that fencing with the foil, epee, and saber would give me better practice and I'd enjoy it a lot but I would still like to fight with the long swords and shields.

8. Tawnos

Tawnos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    don't think they'd give you better practice... foil epee and saber are a whole different type of fighting, very linear in nature compared to the sword and shield variety

9. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    NOTE: In this post, when I say fencing I am referring to fighting with a foil, epee, and saber.

True. They are very different. But I talked to a guy in the S.C.A. who's father is an armoursmith and he told me that he practices both kinds of fighting. And he said that it's easy to take an guy who's just used to fencing and put him in the S.C.A. But it's more difficult to take a person who is just used to the sword and shield combo and put him into fencing.

10. LBenyamini

LBenyamini New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this all sounds great, how do you join the SCA?=

11. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Go to sca.org. And don't think they just do fighting. They do everything from quilting to shipbuilding.

12. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Also look for re-enactment groups, us historical groups tend to know of each other. I'm in a dark ages group but we know of pirate groups, World War 2 groups, muzzle-loading firearms groups etc.
    Fencing schools can obviously teach you fencing, and they might know where to learn sword and shield style fighting.
    I found my group through a store that sells display swords. They had some flyers for my group, I looked them up, and the rest is history.

So look into the SCA as well as all the other avenues. With so many options out there, you should be able to find something cool!

13. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    might sound stupid but I use the cheat codes on the LOTR game, and put it in slsow mo, then I go out in the yard and do the stuff aragorn did in the game. I fugured out how he did the killing move that way, plus othe ways to do it too.......

14. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    One thing I like about RotK is that it goes to slow motion everytime you do a bane.

*Edited Later* Sorry for getting off-topic. I forgot what thread I was in.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  15. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Havent played it yet... but I will....

16. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not that stupid... ;) Tony Wolf, who did the fight choreography, is a well-regarded researcher in medieval sword techniques.

You might enjoy this article:
    True to Middle Earth Cultures
    and
    Martial Arts of Middle Earth
    Whether the game is on the same page as the movies, so to speak, is your call.

17. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  18. Connovar Oakenshield

Connovar Oakenshield Sun Hang Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I practice various forms with many different types of blades, all with differing weights. I will also get together with friends who share the love of swordplay and practice through theory and scenarios with them. That, and I am also a rapier fighter with the SCA and study weapons in my martial art. All in all I devote a lot of serious time to it.

19. Galenas

Galenas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've recently become an ARMA member. (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts). I wanted to learn how to use a sword as they did historically. The medieval swordsman/woman were awesome in their use of weapons. This organization is all about teaching how weapons were used historically, based on the many manuals that have survived the centuries. It is simply fascinating.
    Membership is not costly. The only tool one needs to get started is a good quality waster (wooden sword) and the desire to learn.
    If you are in the Milwaukee area and want to participate in a study group, please pm me.

Movie swordplay is about as far from real as is.....well, movies are from real life.

20. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Do they have a website?