How are you collecting your LOTR swords?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Mububban, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hi gang, just wanted to know from those that have bought (or plan to buy) a collection of LOTR swords (let's say more than 3), how did you go about getting them? Did you save for one at a time, or did you splurge in one big hit?

I bought Hadhafang recently as my first sword, but buying in Australia costs US$340+ to get it in the country. However I've hit problems with some shipping companies, as the size of the UC boxes exceeds some companies' length limits.

Living in Australia can also mean horrendous shipping costs for some items, but I've found a way to send me one of every currently released UC LOTR item (all swords + Sting scabbard), including shipping, for average of US$155. Not bad at all! So I'm currently saving to get all the current swords in one big hit! Woo hoo!
    There's only AU$20 difference between shipping for one item and shipping all at once, so I thought I'd save the extra, bite the bullet and get them all at once.

I'd be interested to hear from other fans outside of the USA as well for shipping problems or stories.

Cheers

Mububban

2. Palantir

Palantir Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean! I'm in Canada (can't really get any closer to the U.S. than that!) I pay on the average $150.00 U.S. for each sword, but the shipping is on average $30.00 U.S. a pop! I bought about half the swords seperately (I have them all including the shards) and the other half (Arwen's, Witchking, Ringwraith, Narsil and Sting) were bought all at once for $60.00 shipping total. Still a good deal though. The closest city to me is Edmonton (Alberta) and I live 500km north of it. The only place to get the LOTR swords is in the West Edmonton Mall (biggest in the world) at a little store called millenium and they average $550.00 Cdn. (about $420.00 U.S.) I'm curious to see what the helmets are going to go for!

3. Aragorn II

Aragorn II New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With all deference to our sponsors, I do my sword shopping on eBay. I stick with a few reputable dealers and bid carefully. Naturally, I'm only interested in UC products. I was one of the first people to have the Ranger Sword in my hot lil hands while others were still wondering when they would get a chance to find someone who even had one to sell. Timing and luck play a part in the bidding process, but for me, that's part of the fun and the challenge. To this point, my collection includes Sting, Glamdring, the Ranger Sword and my latest aquisision, Narsil, for which I was delighted to pay $127.50, a deal of a lifetime! I know some people have had problems with dealers not being able to supply items they've pre-sold, but I guess I've been lucky, or loyal to MY eBay dealers. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" of getting a bargain and by sticking with dealers I know I can trust, I've not been burned. I'm also lucky to live in the US, so shipping costs are not outrageous. I've paid anywhere from $12 to $20 in shipping costs, depending on the size of the sword. I look forward to collecting most of the new peices offered by UC in the coming months, but patience pays off for me in waiting till they're at the price that I want to pay for them!;)

4. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i bought a LOTR sword after getting a couple of UC other things. i wavered on buying the Ranger sword or Glamdring, eventually settling on the ranger sword and getting the latter a few months later. I saved up to buy Hadhafang cuz the urge hit me after seeing to many pics of it. I splurged on Narsil cuz it was on sail. I am definitely planning on getting LWK, with the possibility of getting GD. later. They both look sweet.
    I bought most of my swords at an Outdoor sports store in canada. I got Narsil over the 'net from BBB and had no problems. In fact, Narsil came in something like 3 days, which totally shocked me it was so fast.
    Most likely, I will get LWK from BBB cuz it will probably be cheaper.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  5. raistlin

raistlin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You guys a lucky!

I live in Singapore and we cannot import weapons (yes, even replicas fall within that definition under the law) without a licence so I can't even buy any of the swords online. :(

There are only a few shops that stock these swords and they sell them at retail price (ie full US$ converted to S$). So I paid the full price for Hadhafang! I bought Sting at a sale though :) and since scabbards are not weapons, I bought the scabbard for Sting off ebay. :D

I'm feeling the pain that Legolas's White Knives will cause me soon enough. For that reason, I am a little hesitant to buy Strider's dagger. :(

6. Deepwood Sniper

Deepwood Sniper New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like Aragorn II I have purchased mine off of Ebay being very selective as to which sellers I bid on and not being in a hurry to win a sword, so for instance, I got Sting for $96 and Glamdring for $160.

I have been planning on purchasing some from BBB but everything is on hold right now because I just bought a house and am doing some major remodeling.

7. Lichloathe

Lichloathe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have all the swords so far with the exception of Arwen's sword. I have requested the swords for my Christmas and Birthday gifts so I have enough gift potential for several years to come now that helms, staffs and other replicas are on the menu!

8. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in the US so I can't address some of your issues, but for myself I bought Sting and Hadhafang separately but I went ahead this week and pre-ordered both Legolas's Knives and Aragorns Elven Dagger at the same time from BBB. When those come I will most likely think about getting Anduril and then I will see if Eomer's or Eowyn's sword comes out and get one of those also.

9. Soup

Soup Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hiya Raistlin,

I've sent you a PM. Check it out.
    Cherio!

10. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I got the shards and ranger sent to Ireland from the US (BBB actually) and got hit with a €130 (140 USD) import duty. If I didn't have to pay that I could get them for cheaper in the US than in the UK.
    If only there was a way to avoid the import tax. :(

:balrog:

11. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Now THAT'S not fair.

12. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Seems unfair seeing as the films were made just next door to you guys!

:dragon:

:spam:

he he. some of these smilies are excellent!

13. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Guys we are looking into ways to save our international customers money. BUt now we have run into a serious problem. We can no longer accept CC payments from over seas or even Canada. Because the card holder can order the sword, recieve the product and then turn around and protest the charge on the card. THis leaves us out the product, shipping and have no way to recover the money. So now unfortunatly we are forced to ask all over seas folks to pay by international money order or western Union. We give an extra 10% to them for there trouble.

If this helps send for a quote and we will get it to you. Just fill out the information on the quote form and we will get it to you in 24 hrs.

The quote form is here: http://www.bladesbybrown.com/lotr/inquiry.html

14. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ahhh, i was wondering what was up with the change. Now i know. That kind a blows for both parties, but might be cheaper in the end for the customer in the long run.

15. Voroturiön

Voroturiön New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Usually, I buy my swords individually. I just don't have the cash to buy them all at once. I have to spread out my purchases over time, so that I can afford it. Plus, that way I always have something to look forward to.

I shop around for the lowest price. Then, I go on eBay and see if I can get it cheaper. Usually, I end up buying my swords on eBay. As the sellers tend to get their shipments sooner and at a lower cost.

I've tried pre-ordering, but honesty, I hated waiting. However, I am considering getting Legolas's and Aragorn's Knives from a dealer for cheap. It all depends on whether UC is going to be able to fulfil their pre-orders in a timely mannor. And whether, I can wait. Usually, I go with whatever auctioneer is selling it first.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
Search tags for this page

can you buy swords from lord of the rings in australia

lord of the rings swords for sale
lotr swords uc sellers