Horror RPG suggestion

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by STRONTIUM DOG, Jun 14, 2009.

1. STRONTIUM DOG

STRONTIUM DOG Don't mess with me

A frosty land bereft of magic (also known as Scotl
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The Dead Shall Dead Remain​

A Horror RPG​

Newhaven. An ordinary town filled with ordinary people. Nothing exciting ever happens here. As the locals are fond of saying, its best feature is the road leading out of it. Though said in jest, there's an element of truth contained therein. Newhaven is dying. The factories which once provided employment for three quarters of the population have either closed down forever or relocated. The younger generation, eager to depart before bitterness and disappointment trample their dreams, are beginning to leave as well. Pretty soon it will be a ghost town, with only old timers left to haunt its empty streets.

Then the disappearances start. Georgina Spelling, a popular eighteen-year-old who works in the local bookshop, is the first to go. Most townsfolk believe she has followed the herd and headed off to the big city to seek her fortune. Nothing to worry about, they tell her frantic parents. By the end of the week she'll be flat broke and begging to come home.

Then Old Mrs Cranshaw vanishes while out walking her dog. Local police find plenty of blood scattered over the pavement outside her house, along with a dog lead, but of a body there is no sign.

Over the course of the next month, seven more people disappear. The police are baffled. None of the missing seem to have anything in common, apart from the fact they all live in the same town. It's almost as if the good citizens of Newhaven are being stalked and dispatched one by one. But by whom?

Or what?

As the list of the missing grows longer, the players must endeavour to survive long enough to find the answer to the mystery.

This is the premise for my rpg. Rather than playing it as a traditional roleplayer, with players acting and GM reacting, I'd like to think of it as a continuing story, which each participant adding their own piece of the jigsaw to make a greater whole. If anyone's interested in taking part, express your interest here. The more, the merrier.

2. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested. Seems like it could be awesome, if done right with people who keep it in a horror/mystery feel. Which I sincerely hope will be the case if this gets enough support.

Out of curiosity, do you have a plan for the reason behind the disappearances? And if it's people doing it/helping it happen, do you plan on informing a whoever wants to be part of the "bad" side and having them be the "bad guys" of this RPG? Or am I completely off base here and you plan on the disappearances being a non-player action?

Also, about the continuing story format thing... I don't think any of the RPGs on this site work like a traditional tabletop RPG, and nobody should expect them to. Those work with a GM/player setup because they're highly structured. It won't work online because everyone has their own schedule and will post as they feel like it. So I don't think you have to worry about anyone having misconceptions about that, but it's good that you made sure to point that out. Just in case there are some internet RPG newbies out there who may want to join this one, hehe. :)

3. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    i like the sound of it. but just to warn you, the RPG scene here is pretty dead... theres a much better site i use for my RPing. I can link it if you want.

4. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    this sounds pretty cool, but like Killbot said, most of the RPGs on this site are pretty much dead. I tried to start one and i've been having trouble getting the mods to start it. they aren't on much.

5. STRONTIUM DOG

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I do indeed have a plan for the disappearances; it edges more towards a true supernatural explanation though, which is why I would prefer players to have no connection to the entity(s) involved. Obviously I don't want to kill anyone's fun, so if someone really wants to play as an evil character the concept of possession by external forces could be brought into play. By and large, though, I'd prefer players to react against the evil in their midst rather than be active participants in it.

I noticed the RPG forum seemed to be littered with dead or dying games. That's why I plan on avoiding the jinx and setting it up as a social group. There's nothing that can be done in the RPG forum that can't be done in a social group, with the added bonus that it can be set up immediately. Of course, player dedication is always a problem, which is why I'd rather have a small number posting at least once a week than dozens who post once and then lose interest. I'll give it until Thursday to see if anyone else wants to join, but in the meantime I'll set up the SG and post the intro. Hopefully you'll all still be prepared to join in there.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    count me in

7. STRONTIUM DOG

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'll send you an invite, anonymous.

By the way, the SG should be kept free of non-story related posts, so let's keep this thread for questions etc. It would also be helpful if all posts were about the same length as my intro. I'd rather someone spent longer working on one longish post than post a paragraph every day. Cheers to all.

8. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hey awesome! I love horror/survival stories!

9. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    question: do we need character profiles here or on the group?

10. STRONTIUM DOG

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'll send an invite.
    No. They only really work if you're rolling dice and keeping track of stats. You don't even need to stay with the same character if you don't want to: I've got three characters in mind at the moment, and at least one of them is going to come to a bad end. Whatever you're happiest with.

11. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    okay, just clarifying.

12. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I might consider gracing you with my presence, depending on whether the SG gets spammed up with irrelevant crap or not.;)

13. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I think that rather than holding this thread for OOC talk, we should make another social group for it. The mods might not like us having a spam thread in the RPG suggestions section. :)

14. The4thMusketeer

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    They can always delete it. It's served its purpose now, I reckon. If the SG's been set up, any newbies that want to join can look at it and see if they want a piece of the action.

15. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    This sounds pretty awsome, and I've kinda had this idead in the back of my head a while.

16. STRONTIUM DOG

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    As I specifically asked for posts to be the same length as my initial one, and as no-one seems to be bothered to make that much of an effort, the SG is offically closed.

17. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Well, that sucks. I was just going to start working on a post. But if people were slacking, I don't really blame you. =/

18. The4thMusketeer

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing more annoying than putting a lot of effort into setting up a gameworld and having people ignore the rules. That's why I've sided with Chaos Engine regarding his sci-fi rpg. I know what it's like to have hours of endeavour go tits up.;)

19. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    aw :( i was gonna post too...

20. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    This sounds really good, a proper good horror. I'll most likely join.