Horror movies!

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Foinikas, Jun 28, 2011.

?

Horror movies

1. Slashers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Paranormal

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Other(please specify)

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    What do you prefer?

2. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oo, I'm first to vote. I like paranormal stuff, things you can't really explain.

3. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I like the ones when you think it's something paranormal but in the end it turns out it wasn't :p
    But basically I like the good ones, paranormal/slashers or not.

4. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Both. The only thing I don't really like is mindless slashers.. unless of course its amusing.

Everyone should watch an old movie by Peter Jackson (Lord of the rings director if you're a dummy) called 'Braindead' aka in America 'Dead Alive' the goriest movie ever made. It's not exactly scary at all, its just a horror that is almost a comedy cos its so far fetched.

5. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I think most slashers are mindless :p

6. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I love this one, and of course "Bad Taste" and "Meet the Feebles"....pure gold!

Too many great horrors to list!!
    Anything with John Carpenters name associated with it deserves a mention!!

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I find most slasher flicks boring, so given that choice I prefer supernatural.

But what I really like is:
    1) subtle: The Cat People (1942) and Nosferatu (1922)
    2) funny: Transylvania 6-5000 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie)
    3) old/camp: Frankenstein (1931) and The Mummy (1932)

8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I do like paranormal stuff very much, but I prefer films that work with suspense, like "The Strangers", for example. I wish there were more films of that kind - and if you know any, don't hesitate to tell me! :p

9. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Miss Firiath I could easily propose some good movies for you to watch this week or the next :p

10. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    So what are you waiting for! I'm listening. :D

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Ok first of all if you haven't seen any of these movies,well now's a good chance to get them:

1.REC(not the American remake called Quarantine,the spanish original which is awesome called REC...it's "lost footage" style)
    2.Case 39
    3.Well I guess you've already watched Paranormal Activity,but in case you haven't..well give it a try.
    4.The Last Exorcism(definetely worth a shot,it's full of plot twists and makes you wonder about what's really going on while you're watching it)
    5.Shelter(not the gay movie,the horror one)

12. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Of those I've seen Paranormal Activity (both parts) and Quarantine. Is REC still worth watching if you already know Quarantine? I've always wanted to see The Last Exorcism, but have never heard of the other two. But they're now on my list of films I still have to watch. Thanks for the recommendations!!

13. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Other: not at all. I don't like Horror films

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Listen to me,Quarantine is trash.REC is the movie.It's THE movie.Quarantine is an American remake of the Spanish masterpiece that was made the next year after REC was released(those yankees can't even tolerate a foreign movie having a success).It's a stupid Americanized version of the film.If you watch REC you'll understand what I mean,different actors who raise the acting bar higher,plot differences and REC doesn't try to scare you with cheap tricks like the "hollywood version".You'll know the feeling.

I'd also suggest One missed call but you have to choose between the japanese original which like all Japanese thrillers has a very weird ending plot where you go from "what's going on,i'm lost" to "wtf?" and to "i still don't get it" and the American remake which is way different but the ending makes some sense :p

The Last Exorcism starts off with a guy who's like all those "charismatic" American preachers/priests who kind of goes through a period of wondering about how strong his faith is,meaning how much he believes and goes on to make a "documentary" with a couple of reporters to make a fake exorcism on a rural american family's girl...but the plot keeps having twists that will make you wonder what's really going on and have you watching until the end.

Oh and if you haven't watched any of the following movies I'd also suggest among the above for this week...Mirrors(hey,it's Keif Sutherland!)and Mirrors 2.
    The first one is more of a hopeless situation/spooky/scary movie with an ending that reminded me of Twilight Zone episode-style endings....and the sequel is about a totally different story and characters,much easier to watch(at least for me)and I enjoyed it since it had a happy ending.Woohoo!

Case 39....you'll like it probably.Jodelle who was in Silent Hill(the movie)plays the little girl there and Rene Zelbeger(or what's her name)is the protagonist.Pretty good movie,I liked it.It plays with the "not so innocent little girl" theme but not in the typical cliche way that we've seen in dozens of movies.Jodelle delivers there.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  15. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Okay, so I watched The Last Exorcism and Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Nights yesterday. The Last Exorcism started out great, because (next to the kind of horror films I've mentioned before) I love horror films with a religious background, but the ending disappointed me - although it was certainly something I really hadn't expected. I guess, however, that the typical ending of films about exorcisms would have disappointed me as well.

And about Paranormal Activity "3", if I may call it that... I liked it. Although the effects and heart-stopping moments were almost completely the same as those in the previous two films they still managed to thrill me. :D

16. bloodfiredeath

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Try John Carpenter's "The Thing", it is more of a sci fi horror, but is a classic and will have you on the edge of your seat (Hopefully in terror).

17. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    The Thing is fantastic, my brothers showed me that when I was 4.......... That gave me an interesting week of trying to sleep at night lol

18. bloodfiredeath

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    lol...my partner's father showed her the movie when she was 7 and she reckons she couldn't sleep for weeks, and suffered anxiety as a result!! He also showed her Aliens!! apart from the psychological damage she has had a life long love affair with Sci fi!! :p

19. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    lol sounds like she went through a similar scenario as I did. My brothers are 10 and 5 years older than me, they were a terrible influence lol I remember also getting dragged through to watch something 'cool', that being Predator :p They were the ones to show me Halloween, The Fog etc. Scared the crap out of me as a kid, but I absolutely love those films :D Actually it was my mum who showed me Alien and Aliens when I was little, I think I was about 5 or 6, but those never scared me. I just thought they were cool.

20. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I'd recommend the 1951 version of The Thing. But I'm old.