Hobbits Existed(?)

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Kalyiel, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Some days ago, I stumbled upon this article:

So, what do you say? I find it quite surprising!

2. Schmavid

Schmavid A simple wanderer.

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That one is a little old, but still a good topic to discuss. It's amazing to think that people of this size existed. I'm not sure if I would have called them Hobbit's myself, but it is a good comparisson.

3. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, maybe, just like Jules Verne, Tolkien had a good instinct, but not about the future - about the past.

4. Silverhand

Silverhand Tairite Warder

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a shame they don't seem to be like Tolkien's hobbits. It'd be far more brilliant if they had pantries and smoked pipes and lived in their hobbit holes, as Tolkien's did. Now that would be a great scientific discovery :D

5. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :D That would! :D But we could still pretend they are Tolkien's Hobbits! ;)

6. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well Tolkien's Hobbit's were practically forgotten about by the rest of Middle-Earth and were left alone for the most part, most people rarely even saw them, so it all fits together in that way.

7. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ah, here's a person who thinks my way! :D

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ahhh... Please do remember it's Nature publishing. They've got a reputation for these sorts of "miraculous" discoveries.

This could indicate to the existance of a midget race, such as the pigmee (San-) tribes in the Kalahari. Admitted, these're supposed to be a bit smaller - but the likeness of a Hobbit is far fetched, in my opinion. Besides, I would classify Hobbits as being iron-age. They did use tools, but were indeed shy of technology.

Ow and read the Addenum of this entry on Hobbits if the matter interests you; turns out evidence supports they're not quite Tolkiens invention after all...

9. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    We know that, but still the idea does fit they weren't simply small humans. I've read up on it and apparently we couldn't have bred with them from the analyais thats been done, it would be akin to trying to breed a human and a chimpanzee, not possible. I suppose in Australia we got more coverage of it on TV because the discovery was quite close to home.

10. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I'll read that. :) Do you happen to know anything about that "Middle Earth actually existed" theory, as well? I've heard about it, but I don't know any details.

11. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ahhh... yeah... I've heared people theoreticizing about the possibility Middle Earth (Arda) existed.

The theory (as I remember it) is as follows. We are living beyond the fourth age (in Tolkiens reckoning); all races have left the earth - or hid themselves very well - except for the Humans, to whom we are descendant. And in stead of all we think to know about the history of the World is in fact shaped by the Valar (and Melkor, who supposedly escaped again halfway the fourth age) to erase the Elves (who all went to Valinor) and other creatures, creating a realm for the short-lived second comers (Humans). And only Tolkien has received all this information from Ainur or something; which he created in a series of books and histories. He counts as a prophet for those who believe...

Now I suppose the bones would suggest that the Hobbits suffered the same fate as Humans did, as they are reckoned to listen to the same laws of mortality. Thus suggesting they are indeed still around (and there are actually people thingking this; remember the part about them being masters at hiding from Humans?) or they died out at some point. Well these bones would mildly support either theory - or at least open a possibility they ever existed.

But then again... untill they uncover hairy feet, jars of Old Toby's and round doors, I still asume we should look into other, more antropological backgrounds to these people.

12. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's MY way of thinking!!! LOL! I always thought that Tolkein had heard about leprochauns, and simplified them. The thing about this, is that some people still think that leprochauns exist, but it would be more realistic that they probably would be hobbits! That's what I think. What about you? Also, leprochauns live in Ireland (or it is thought), in a land that is green and lush. Didn't hobbits live in the same type of setting? Ponder that for a while!

13. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I posted this in a previous thread but i can't remember wich :)

The so called Hobbit of Flores is, in fact, a sub-specie of Homo Erectus, wich size's has decreased due to the inclosed habitat. Because of that is no wonder that the tools found on Flores resemble the ones belonging to the Oldowan "industry".

Their dissapearence seems to coincide with the spreading of the modern humans (Homo sapiens) in the area

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I met a hobbit....his name is Kenny Baker...Ironicly he plays in Star Wars...he played in all 6 of them as R2-D2:D
    to be serious...people in history seemed to be a lot smaller than people know "that can explain the fossilized "Hobbits" they found. They predict that in hundreds of years all humans will certainly be above 6' (180 cm). Children are even now growing larger as their parents. I think Tolkien just based hobbits on dwarves, but different in character and customs, culture etc...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  15. --ω¡ζ∂Яđ--

--ω¡ζ∂Яđ-- Sailor of silver skies

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I know a kid who recently turned 14, and is 6' 4.

16. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
  17. Delarmgo

Delarmgo Dark Heart Of The Verse

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    the truth is Sauron won the war 5000 years ago and you're the descendants of Orks...And i still hold the one ring.

18. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You've obviously taken a wrong turn somewhere. The Spam threads are further down.

19. Window Bar

Window Bar "We Read for Light"

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Indeed Homo Floresiensis (the Indonesian "hobbits" whose fossils were found on Flores Island) are likely descendants of Homo Erectus, a species that migrated out of Africa roughly 2,000,000 years ago. Their skulls and other bones are miniatures of the Homo Erectus fossils found throughout the entire Old World.

The question of their reduced size could be the "island effect," wherein the limited resources of a small island extend an advantage to smaller individuals. Likewise, a single genetic mutation may have set up an isolated group who lacked the gene pool that would have kept them at the larger size of other Homo Erectus.

Homo Erectus lived in Africa, Asia, Europe and the various archipelagos of Southeast Asia. They survived for 2,000,000 years until supplanted by Neanderthal and modern humans. When all is said and done, they may end up as the most successful (judged by longevity of the species) of all humans.

--WB

20. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    I have just stumbled across a secret file that has photographic proof that Hobbits exist ......... bbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg