Historically accurate arrow heads

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Mububban, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Howdy archers

Being an avid archery fan, and a historical re-enactor, I've been doing some online investigating for hand made arrow heads. Below are some of my findings, from the UK seeing as history and the re-enactment scene is so strong there.

Eagle Classic Archery
    Good variety of heads, but pricy. GBP-5 each is a bit steep, but they do look lovely.

Alwyn's Arrows
    You can buy an assortment of arrow heads, but he also sells complete, self nocked, feather fletched arrows, with bodkin points, for only GBP-6 each!
    I might end up buying 6 of these with the bodkin heads, after I've made 6 of my own with different heads.

The Archery Centre
    Not that many types of heads, but really good prices on what they do have.

If anyone has any other suppliers they know are good, please add the link here. I may find some I missed!

Does anyone have any experience with Indian suppliers, in terms of quality, price, and minimum size for an order? I know that some Indian suppliers only supply in bulk amounts, which is no good for me chasing a dozen assorted heads at a time.

Also, has anyone ever made their own period arrow heads? It's on my list of things to do with my friends who have their own forges.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I received my forged arrow heads from The Archery Centre and I'm pretty happy with them. The sockets look pretty rough, like they might snap if they were used repeatedly, but with no comparison from other companies, I'm pretty happy with them.

I deliberately photographed them with the socket side showing. I know that makes them look a bit uglier, but they are handmade, and showing the cleaner non-socket side wouldn't show everyone the important parts!

Keep in mind that these arrows will mainly be used for show and tell at our public performances. I'll use some machined 4 sided bodkins or field points for regular shooting.
    Also, war arrows would be made to be shot and hopefully hit a target once, killing or incapacitating them, so repeated use isn't necessarily a historical aspect I'm looking for.

I got a 4 inch chain mail piercing bodkin, a shorter 2 inch plate piercing bodkin (looks a bit long for plate penetration but that's what they sell it as) and a leaf shaped broadhead for unarmoured opponents. Total cost to get 6 of these heads (2 of each) to Australia from the UK with air mail was AUD$35.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005