His Dark Materials Trilogy

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Isis, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Isis

Isis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in response to all that stuff about pullman's anti-god attitude, he is an outspoken atheist. i read an article about him, His Dark Materials are going to be three movies soon, and he said that his books were banned in a lot of places and that the Catholic Church publicly denounced them, for obvious reasons. i, on the other hand, see pullman's interpretation of the death of Authority as very interesting. It might be a metaphor for what is going on in the real life present. the death of god, not in the literal sense, but in the figrative sense, is a common point of discussion. A lot of peple these days are losing faith for various reasons and this is a sort of "death" for god and his (or her) control over humanity. I might be reading too much into all of this, but it seems pretty clear to me that t his is the parallel that Pullman is trying to make in these books. he is writing for modern times and a modern audience that is not god-fearing and (hopefully) has a more open mind. i recently finished rereading them (as in earlier today) and now i can't wait for the films.

2. Akasha

Akasha the high cost of living

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    His Dark Materials are some of my all time favorite books. Not only because the story is fantastic and the characters are great, but also because of his attitude towards god and the church - it's something I relate to.

It's great that people who are uncomfortable with his ideas still enjoy the story, though.

And the message of the book is just beautiful. One of the things I dislike the most about christianity (and other religions too, actually) is how it tries/ tried to suppress life and "fool" people with promises of eternal bliss. A "suffer in this world and live happily ever after in heaven" sort of thing. Now, I don't know if there's an afterlife. I personally don't believe in one at all, but who knows, I could very well be wrong. But considering it's only a maybe, why take the chance? Why not try and life this life to the fullest?

When Lyra goes to hell and the Harpies tell them they're guide people to the opening if they tell them a true story about something they really loved in life... that's what they're saying, basically. That living life is important. Loving things. Feeling. And that point was illustrated in such a smart and beautiful way... it made me cry.

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    yea i think in the first of the detective woman series was about her and her partner (the photographer) investing some chinese guy who was in the opium business....and well etc....

4. reem

reem Slaps forehead "Doh!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can see your points on His Dark Material Trilogy, but I don't really agree with them. But then again, to each his own, right?:);)

About his other books, the detective thingy and all that, are you telling me that he's writting normal fiction? I never was for detective novels...I thought Pullman was more of a 'fantasy' sort of writer.
    reem

5. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm reading them now. I've gotten to the third book, but I'm finding it rough going. I find nothing compelling in the novels, even though I can admire the writing.

I think it's because I do not find that any of the chars strike me as real and therefore sympathetic. Everyone feels 'slimy' or off-putting to me. I'll finish the books because they aren't bad enough to drop, but I'm not a fan.