Heroes Needed...

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Nov 11, 2007.

1. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lora awoke early the following morning. She had dreamt...
    Having spent enough time alone with her sorrows she was dry. Suddenly there were no more tears left in her. She smiled sadly, and rose carefully.
    She was grateful for what Dack had done. He had followed her, and comforted her. In a way.
    She realised he was not only a leader. He was also a friend.
    She felt something odd on her cheeks. When she rose her hand to touch it it was greasy.
    She watched her fingers in wonder for a moment- they had gone black.
    Then she realised what it was. It was that sample that man had given her back in the city.
    What was it called again? Rog, or something. Rogue! That was it. He had said it made her look pretty. Lora was an assassin, and didn't need, nor want, to look pretty.
    She had done it mostly because it made the man happy. He had been kind to her, and she admitted, she was still young enough to be flattered.
    The tears had washed away the fine line he had painted, and now it was smeared all over her cheeks. She shrugged. She'd wash it when she got back.
    For a moment she was filled with cold, a cold that seemed to go through her, and all her instincts went wild. The hair in her neck stood out like a man's limb, and she felt as though someone was watching her.
    It ended nearly before it had begun, and she shrugged it off like a "particular foul wind".

She started to walk. She encountered more sentries than usual, that eyed her suspiciously but let her past. Inside the tent the others were already enjoying a breakfast. They looked a bit grim, but healty.
    She smiled apologetically, both for her sudden departure and the grease all over her face (or at least so it felt...)
    She sat wearily down. It had been a rough night.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Kael did not sleep that night. He didn't sleep any night, but he meditated. This night's meditations were full of dark visions, of death, and necromancy. What enemy had attacked the girl? Dack believed he knew how necromancers thought. But not this one... This one was clever, using the body of someone the girl knew. Perhaps he thought the shock and recognition would have been her end, as she was obviously the target. And one body would not attract attention.

Kael left his tent and went into the middle of the camp. He pulled an orb out of his pocket, and began to chant in the darker language of magic, imploring on his only average skill with shadow magic to find the enemy. The orb swirled with dark clouds, but he was unable to discern anything. He put the orb in his pocket and sighed. This one hides himself well...

He turned and went to Dack. He sighed to himself and spoke. "Last night in my meditations I had dark visions... Whatever enemy this is, it is not done with us. I know that the girl was the only target for now, the easiest to get to. Whoever this is is clever, using the body of one she recognized. The shock may have been the death of her, but she is strong. I searched for this man... this necromancer... but I was unable to see him. He covers his tracks powerfully, and I only have average skill with shadow magic. We must be wary, and I will put wards against further attack around the outskirts of our camp."

3. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Nothing more had happened during the night. Bright and early that morning no reports came in of any necromancers being found. Could whatever raised the dead have gotten away? Akurai didn't react at any point, he was starting to wonder if there hadn't been more to the situation than they were aware of. Before long he was knocked out of these thoughts when a soft cry came from within Silluin's tent, she was awake finally.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he entered.

Silluin just shook her head, "Not really sure how well I can walk."

"We can probably speed up the healing process with help from Mama Craguh. It's time for breakfast though... I'm just glad to see that you're awake," said Dack. He helped her up and walked her to the mess tent. Very quickly Silluin explained what happened.

"I'm sure you're all wondering what happened?" They nodded. "Well, I was walking outside of the camp and I saw the moon shining strangely on an area... so... I went to it. It turned out to be where my Uruk-Hai friend died, a place I had only seen in my vision. I was very enthralled because it's strange that that place is so near where we are now. Anyway... Then my friend, came out from behind the stone... and we fought. He wasn't like a normal "dead"... he had skills with magic. I don't know. That's what got me though... I thought I had killed him... but then he shot magic at me and hit me from behind. I couldn't move. Right when he was about to kill me, I... used my magic." Everyone stared at her. "Yeah... so... that's it."

Dack and Bemon locked eyes immediately, they'd faced the dead on countless occasions, but a corpse that used magic? Especially when it showed no signs of vampirism. Dack knew both of their minds were racing on the same track until they both came to the same conclusion on the matter, one that might explain why there was apparently no necromancer.

"Revenant," they both said with a tinge of disgust on their tongues.

"What?" asked someone.

"Don't worry about it," said Dack. "With any luck we won't have to deal with it again, for a long time."

The others all dropped the discussion as Dack and Silluin sat down. In time Lora returned from her time alone, she wore the signs of a rough night. A small goblin entered right after her and whispered to Dack briefly before running off again. Dack stood, then leaned in to whisper to Silluin, "I'll be back in a short while with something for that leg of yours, make sure you eat enough to be full, but not any more than that. You'll need a full stomach."

She nodded and Dack began to head back to the entrance of the tent. Before exiting he spoke to Lora, "When you're ready talk to me about what happened last night. I'm going to need an understanding of everyone if I'm going to be able to lead you all through this." Lora gave a look of comprehension, then Dack took a step to the opening to the outside. "I'll be back soon, then we'll be leaving. If you all finish before I return go by the fire pit in the center of camp, I won't be long."

4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    [its pretty bad and madly short, but its something]

Khamul had the best night of sleep he had had in weeks. For some reason he felt safe in the camp. Yawning, Khamul woke up to see most of the others already up around the fire. Joining them for breakfast, he realized that Dack and Silluin were once again absent, and that Lora had returned to camp. Shrugging, he continued with his meal until he saw Dack re-enter the scene. Nothing was said until a goblin entered camp.

As it whispered something to Dack, the others stared blankly. By now they were used to Dack's unusual visitors. After the goblin left, Dack whispered something to both Lora and Silluin.

Turning back to the group, Dack announced, "I'll be back soon, then we'll be leaving. If you all finish before I return go by the fire pit in the center of camp, I won't be long."

Khamul quickly finshed his breakfast. He was suprised to hear they were leaving so soon. It was probally a good thing though, they needed to move fast to get to their destination.

5. The First Wizard

The First Wizard Im more known as Tidus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tyrael didnt sleep well in the camp...he felt confined and surrounded.
    As he rose to inspect his surrounding he thought about the dream he had...its the same one hes always had and the only one he can remember....Hes in a village.could it be his home village? When a bespelled arrow shoots past him and strikes his father in the back...but as he was running to him someone else was already there it looked like himself was standing over his father but how could that be? but as he looked closer he saw a necklace with a blood red stone on the end.....Who was this man? And why did he look like me?

Tyrael wasn't sure but maybe he'll find out. As he was walking to the fire pit he got an odd sensation in his gut like..like..he didnt know but he felt that something was near..and it wasn't gonna be friendly.

6. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin was not looking forward to whatever medication she had to take from the orcs. The food was surprisingly good though... and she was in a surprisingly good mood as well. She had a full nights rest... she was fully fed... her leg hurt, but that was nothign really... easily fixed. Her confidence was renewed... that's what it was. It had been so long since Silluin actually was in a battle that she felt great about it now.. And, she didn't die. She looked at every battle as a win as long as she left it alive. Even if she died, she'd be winning really...

The company ate in silence, but Silluin really couldn't handle it anymore. She wanted to speak with Bemon about magic... especially after last night. Maybe he could help her build her skills so that it didn't drain her so much to use it.

"Bemon?" She said sheepishly...

"Yes?" He answered in a tone of playful mockery, and a mouth full of food..

"When you get a moment, will you teach me more about magic?"

"It would be my pleasure." Bemon responded, and seemed very delighted at the question.

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack had left the others on a simple bit of news. The camp's secondary shaman had found some possible hints as to the source of last night's attacker. He and Bemon had been correct in assuming that the creature had been a revenant. Unfortunately that body had been animated since just before the camp had been set up. They weren't going to be able to track whoever it was that had raised the fallen Uruk.

Other than that the remains had been too little for a proper orc funeral, but that wasn't why Dack had left. The others had their armor and weapons at all times, but not Dack. He hadn't worn armor in some time, but after the incident back in that town and the general gravity of their quest Dack figured he'd need at least a little.

The old supply tent held lesser spoils of raids long past as well as standard equipment forged by the orcs themselves. He didn't need much, something to reinforce his skin, some tools to help patch the others together if the need should arise, and more importantly, something for Silluin. He didn't figure anyone present aside from himself had the constitution to take on a well brewed orc elixer, however this particular camp always had a few of the elven variety lying around.

He took a moment to strap on the armor, it was less complicated than the full plates humans and elves liked to use. It would cover his back and chest, and the sides of his legs, all the more defense he needed. Once it was secure he threw on a pack of barber tools and grabbed the elixer flask, then headed back. Much as he expected the meal tent was empty, as such he headed to the central fire.

There were various light conversations going on, but nothing that didn't stop as soon as he reappeared. "Well I'll be damned, not as flashy as the armor of the eagle gods," said Bemon.

"Smartass..." grinned Dack. "I figure I'll be leading from the front lines, so I aught to try to make sure I can stay alive. Now there'll be time for talk later, right now we need to get moving."

The others all complied while Dack walked over to Bemon and Silluin. "I figured you'd want something that wouldn't make hard liquor a suitable chaser," said Dack as he gave her the elixer. "This aught to fix you up right quick." She took it and quickly drank it. For a solid distance she still required his help to walk, but long before they reached the stable tent she was able to move on her own freely.

"So Bemon, it's been quite a while, what're you going to be doing for a mount?" Dack asked. Bemon was fast on foot, but at the pace they'd be requiring he wasn't going to be able to keep up without a beast to ride.

8. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    "I haven't riden a mount in decades, perhaps a century or so. I can lift myself into the sky using the wind, but it takes a lot of concentration and is somewhat tiring. It's really only useful to slow myself down if I'm falling or to get myself over a chasm." Bemon answered tiredly. He could no longer fly like he had once been able to, back when he had demon blood inside him, but that was ages ago now, a vile taint his brother had installed in him when he was young. He no longer healed as fast either, but he still had a quicker healing rate than most others. "I suppose I could rider though. But make it a strong mount, I'm not as lean as I once was brother, though I carry much less equipment as well I suppose. And an intelligent mount would be nice as well if it can be done, I do so like having conversations these days, not like before."

Bemon stood and streched his muscles while eying Dack's armour. "You want some new armour? Nothing fancy looking, you know how I hate detailing my work. But something strong, yet felxible. Somthing that will protect you but not restrict you movements. I can do this whenever you wish, just got me some good quality ingots and a well equipt forge. That's a skill I still practice if you wish it Dackian."

Bemon turned to Sulluin, "I'm sorry we were interupted but we can continue this conversation later, it appears Dack is ready to go, and when he gets an idea its rather hard to dispose of it. He's rather stubborn that way. But I will leave you this to chew over. Magic is a force of nature, like time, like space, it is always there, yet we only see it in the faintest way. Many magic uses like to specify their school and categorize magic types. Shadow is evil. Healing is good. Beast is vile and filthy. Fire and storm are destructive. Wind is protective. That sort of thing. But this is not so. How can a force of nature be anything but neutral? It has no mind of its own as some mages would have you believe. It is merely a force which some of us can control, manipulate to our will. But I suspect you wish to know a magic for a specific reason. You wish to know about your odd little magic which you claim only you can use. Let me fill you in on a little secret." Bemon looked about and shoed Dack away for a minute, when he was certain no one was listening he kneeled down and whispered into Sulluin's ear, "Where I come from only my kind can use elemental magic, and that is all they can use. The humans can only use beast magic, the orcs can only use healing magic and the wood elves can only use shadow magic. Or so they think. My brother and I are pure elven blood, royal blood actually. I believed for a long while I was part demon. It was a trick my brother played. He had his plot set for ages. It was a trick of his for he wished to recruit me to his cause. Anyways I believed myself demon bcause I could use all magics, and only demons and the eldar race could use all magics in my land. It turned out anyone could use any magic, they just did not know how, the art had been lost, I am still uncertain as to why. Your unique heritage may have something to do with your magic. It is likely that you are strongly tuned to the force of magic, as I am, and as Kael and Art seem to be. Many people gain odd abilities because they are strong with magic, it can just manifest itself in a different manor. For me my magic affinity causes my body to heal at an abnormal rate and my skin to be thick as leather. Your affinity may just show itself in a different nature. You should kee this in mind." Bemon rose and smiled down at Sulluin. She was a sweet girl, but had suffered tragically. He knew that it had made her the person she was though. She was strong, as strong as any of them, maybe more than some. He would know the extent of her strength in time.

9. TheImmortalMessenger

TheImmortalMessenger Spinner of Lost Tales

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The night had not been kind...

First the half breed, Silluin might be her name, got herself injured, the smell of blood a little too enticing...Zozo's case began to shake violently, but he'd managed to get it under control before anyone else noticed. On top of it all, he was being watched almost constantly while he was here, and could not go any further than the lights of the fire could touch. He'd sat through the stories of the others, deep in thought about what he was to do about his situation. If he did not feed tonight on something, tomorrow night would be horriffic...but he knew the orcs would not allow him to be dismissed without reason, and Zozo was hoping it would not come to showing them any...

While everyone slept, he'd kept his seat on the log. Noticing a furry little night rat not far away, he made his move:

"Eeeeek!!"

A small rustling could be heard coming from behind the orcs, who were turned about and ready in a flash. Like a blur, Zozo had snatched up the rat, and bit the main artery, squirting blood down his throat. By the time the guards had turned around, Zozo had already take his seat again, silent as a lamb and his thirst quenched.

He hated the taste of blood, more so the blood of animals, but desperate times call for desperate measures...and it's not like he could spew his deepest life's secrets and still be accepted with this circle of do-gooders. Wolves don't walk with the deer....

The night was close to ending, and he could feel his inhuman strength beginning to return to it's (semi)normal levels. Staring at the tents as the others began to stagger out, Zozo thought back to the night before. He could smell that half breed...she was definitely the one he'd been looking for. Had they found her already? Zozo couldn't believe it'd taken him this long to think about it...she'd been attacked last night, and only a few things could explain what that would be from....

-----

Shortly after hearing Silluin's story on the attack, they'd all begun to leave for the group's destination, wherever that might be. Dack had pulled him and the other (less hated) wanderer aside, explaining the situation that lay before them. Zozo had no fear for himself, but he thought it best not to get that far...too much temptation in a situation such as that.

Shortly out of camp, Zozo sped up to finally have a word with the elf and the half breed. There would be no escaping it now that he knew she was the one, and it would help his cause if he didn't try a solo encounter with her:

"Pardon me sir, but may I have a word with the lady? I have something for her which she might be interested in."

The elf shot him a side glance, possibly trying to gauge him. Zozo couldn't imagine that the elf could see much more than some scrawny human with nothing special to offer, but then he really didn't know how the elf thought.

"I'm sure anything that may be brought forth to her can be passed to me first."

Zozo trusted the elf, but the orders were to make sure that she was the only one to get it; the others could know if the recipient desired to share it.

"I must decline your generous offer, for my orders were to deliver the item to the recipient and to the recipient only. If she so wishes to share it with others, that is at her discretion, not mine."

Dack motioned for them to slow down momentarily. Zozo hoped he wasn't going to make a scene...nothing ever worked when he made a scene...

10. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Edited.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack didn't put up much of a protest as Bemon shooed him off to speak privately with Silluin. Of everyone there Bemon was the one he knew the best. He felt that he could trust any of them, but he and Bemon had been through hell and back, he had nothing to worry about for Silluin's safety so long as Bemon was there. Besides, he needed a minute.

Bemon had confirmed what Dack suspected, that he hadn't had a riding beast in ages. When he thought of the creatures in the camp there was only one that came to mind that Dack thought would be able to function under Bemon's requirements. It was an old beast, a few years older than Dack himself, but it still had a very long life ahead of it. Its species tended to age very slowly. He spoke to two of the goblin mount watchers, telling them his request, they shifted nervously then ran off to ready the beast.

"They looked scared," said Art.

"The beast they're getting has cost quite a few of them their limbs in the past," said Dack.

"And you want it to run with us?" asked Khamul.

"Any beast can be broken," explained Dack. "Grolkar is a nasty creature, but he and I have some history."

There came a sound of wood breaking a short distance away. The goblins could be heard shouting as something moved loudly across the ground. Art and Khamul backed away as Dack pulled Akurai's scabbard from his belt and hefted it over his shoulder. The beast appeared, a slimy reptilian beast that flew over the ground with a speed its heavy body shouldn't have been able to maintain.

The creature made a b-line for Dack who stood at the ready. It let out a low gurgling roar as it quickly closed the gap, but as it drew close Dack swung his sword within the scabbard, expertly thwacking the salamander just below the eye causing it to stop and stagger.

"Don't you recognize me you dumb bastard?" Dack yelled. "Don't think I'm going to back up as quick as a goblin!"

The salamander let out a nasty hiss as it backed up, then finally laid down, bowing its head to Dack. "Don't give me that ya bum!" Dack shouted. "Stand up and get ready to roll, we've got a rider that needs you."

The salamander let out a low rumble as it stood and awaited the goblins in attendance to saddle it up. As Bemon and Silluin rejoined the group Bemon gave the salamander the once over, "Aren't these things usually a bit skittish?" he asked.

"Usually, but not Grolkar here. He and I are kindred spirits so to speak. If he likes you he'll be the best mount you've had in a good long time. If not, well, just hope that he likes me more than he dislikes you," Dack said. He and this particular salamander had been on many adventures, particularly when Dack was still a raider, and Grolkar had been his mount.

Shortly before they were to depart the one that was still mostly a stranger, Zozo, asked about speaking to Silluin. Dack had been cautious about such a situation, Zozo seemed shifty, but there was something to him that struck Dack as being familiar. Finally he allowed Zozo to present whatever he needed to give or say to Silluin, as the human passed Dack caught a whiff of him. There was something familiar in the way he smelled, something Dack had fought against and along side. The human smelled a bit like...

Dack smirked, so that was it. A vampire. Like Johnny, or Julian, or Shifter. On the other side of that were Darq, and Lonthen, and the nameless numbers of that breed that he'd cut down. That would explain why Zozo stayed so detached from the group, he was afraid of himself. Dack studied him, no threat from this one, at least not for the most part. Silluin would be fine, and if he tried anything, Dack would split him right down the middle.

12. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lora glared nastily at the horse. She didn't like horses. Wel, she had liked the old one her family had once had, but that felt as in a different life.
    She still remembered that night... The horse had whinnied. The first warning.
    She sighed. She couldn't ride, really. She was used to moving on foot, in shadows and on the roofs.
    She had to talk to Dack about walking next to them instead...
    And there was more she had to talk to him about...

"Dack," she breathed next to him. She motioned him to follow her a bit away from the others.
    "I... I need to talk to you. You... Deserve to know..." She paused, and he looked kindly at her, hiding the rush they were in. Finally she continued, in a low voice.

"I... One night... I once had a family. Nothing much- a mother and a father, and an old but faithful horse. We lived at the countryside, or somewhere away from it... Far from people. My mother had been... Exiled from the elves, bevause she married my father, a human. It was a happy life, I suppose. A life, anyway..."

For a moment she was overwhelmed with memories, and had to pause.
    "Then this night... I never learnt why... A group of assassins came to us... In the night... And they... I... He..."
    She stopped again, and felt the tears coming. She was glad she had decided not to put on that rog... rug... rogue thingie.
    "I could hear my mother being... downstairs... And... My father tried to protect me... They... I saw him bleed to death right before my eyes... And then this man... He wanted to... Tried to... Stabbed me... His hand touched me... My... Barely touched... I never knew why, but their leader stopped him... And... I was his apprentice... And..."

The tears started flowing, and her voice trembled.
    "He died... I'm endangering us all... They're after me! He wants to finish what he started... To... Rape and kill me," she ended in a weak voice.

"I'm endangering the group... I should leave." Her voice cracked, and she couldn't hold it back anymore. She cried, bitter tears. She thought she was dry from last night, but she knew, deep inside, she would never be dry... Too much pain...

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Before Dack got a chance to see what Zozo needed to speak with Silluin for Lora pulled him away from the others. She seemed nervous, like there was something that she needed to get off of her chest. When she spoke she could barely complete a sentance, but Dack got her message well enough. His eyes narrowed as she spoke of some face from her past, an enemy that she'd apparently been fleeing from for some time.

"I'm endangering the group... I should leave." Her voice cracked, and she couldn't hold it back anymore. She cried, bitter tears.

Almost instantly Dack placed a strong hand on her shoulder, in a moment she glanced up to him, at which point he spoke. "You're not running off on your own again," he said. "I've got too much to deal with right now to have to worry about how you're fairing on your own. If this guy and his little rowdy bunch want to come after you they'll have to do it over my dead body. I already said that I'd help you and all the others with your personal ordeals when this was all over, and if I have to gut some bastard rapist alittle ahead of schedule I'll be more than happy to. I've faced a lot of men from all manner of styles of killing, overt and covert, I don't back down and I don't back up. If they want to come they can bring it on, I'll show them why I've fought everything from humans to demons and I'm still kicking."

She gave him a shocked expression. He'd only spoken with that kind of intensity back at the pub after his defeat to that stranger, but by the fire in his eyes she knew he meant it. "I know it may be hard to accept that there are things greater out there than your personal traumas, but in my time I've seen things that would drive a lesser man to madness, and there's still worse things than what's come before my eyes. If there's a group of enemies coming for you you aren't going to find better safety than a group like this. Even if you end up leaving us eventually, stick around for now, you may learn a thing or two that could come in handy."

14. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    A days run with all the speed of the Chatrakan art of wind had brought Lucan under the boughs of this ancient forest, its oak trees more numerous than grass in fields, its wood older than mountains. Places like this so close to nature pulsed with the rhythm of the earth.

Lucan could smell the musty scent of the ages, its smelt like peace and harmony.

It was no wonder an old elf like Avenger had claimed this place as his home, old warriors often sought serenity after so much chaos and some elves had an instinctual bond to old forests.

His soft footsteps through the mulch made little sound, bringing him deeper into the forest. The bright light of the sun replaces by the diffused glow of a forest, no longer could he see the white borders.

Here among the trees for the first time in what seemed forever, Lucan almost felt happy, he was isolated from his pain and his woes, for the world that had caused them. But it could not last, what he had fled from all these years was his own conscience, his own guilt and pain and it would never leave him until the day he finally died.

I’m so sorry Dana, forgive me.

Lucan could not forgive himself, what chance was there the dead would?

The next hour passed in silence but for Lucan’s footsteps through the tall trees, eventually they brought him to a small brook amongst a pile of rocks, beside it a small hut sat solemnly by itself, smoke spilling from its small chimney. Here the trees were old and grand, the underbrush killed off to leave enough open space for the structure and the brook without a single break in the canopy.

Approaching slowly, Lucan left his swords where they were over his shoulder, not wanting to risk alarm this early.

Instead as he approached the door to the hut a stony voice can from the rocks above.

“Salesmen are not welcome”

Lucan turned and looked up to see the speaker. The elf was old, but not aged as their kin wouldn’t, instead the years could be heard in his voice, and in his eyes. Beyond that the elf looked in fit shape, shaved bald and shirtless, likely he had been caught while practicing.

Lucan dropped his bundle and cloak.

“I am not here to sell anything.” He said, not knowing how to begin.

With a long stare the elf mused on the puzzle that was the dishevelled human.

“Few people come this deep into these woods, usually in search of one thing.”

“I am no different.” Lucan replied

That seemed to amuse the Avenger.

“Each one is different, the only reason I still bother to fight them is to learn from them, even one as old as I has not seen every move that can be made.” Avenger sat down with his legs over the edge of the outcrop, looking down on Lucan. “But then some just come for the glory, for the notion of beating me, if you want to challenge me human, I need to know if you are worthy.”

“And how, pray tell, Shall I prove that to you?”

“I have found countless battles for over a thousand years, killed innumerable foes, tell me what makes you think you can match me.”

“Where you at Ghetza’h?” Lucan said, the Avenger frowned at that.

“A Bloody tale to rival many of mine, handfuls left after hundreds of thousands marched, all sides losing terribly. You were there?”

Lucan nodded.

“Which side did you stand with?”

“Akata”

Something lit up in the Avenger’s eyes. “They told me only the royal knight’s survived from Akata, I sided with the Ulanash tribes and had the pleasure of facing one of them, quite impressive for a human, eyes like fire and fast as a snake.”

Lucan had commanded those men, and only one of them could burn holes with his gaze. “Jerome, I trained him, he wasn’t ready for that day, still just a novice.”

“No creature can be trained fro a day like Ghetza’h, they must be born ready.” Avenger took a pause to think. “A novice you say, I’m impressed, I’d heard tales of the sword art of Akata many times, but I did not believe them, what was it called? Chakranta?”

“The Chatrakan”

“Yes, I did not think humans capable of such conditioning, I had hoped to learn more of it but Akata fell into ruin before I could, a real shame, I had heard there was a master who moved quicker than the wind, but they say he died in the burning palace.”

Lucan stared back blankly.

“Let us see then stranger if you speak the truth, wait for me by the brook.”

Avenger stood and departed for his shack, Lucan turned and proceeded to the small clearing beside the dashing waters.

He took out one of his swords and ran his thumb down the edge. Even though it was razor sharp he took his whetstone out and ran it down the edge repeatedly, then brushed and oiled cloth along the surface. Once finished he took off his mail and shirt and stood ready.

By that time the Avenger had returned bearing a long silver sword in one hand, he gave it two whirls in preparation and nodded to himself.

“So stranger, before we fight I would like to know your name.”

Lucan stood a moment in silence. “Someone once called me Fenestreathe, it means Winter Sky”

Avenger smiled. “Well then Mr. Sky, shall we?” the elf lashed forward like lightning and swords clashed like thunder.

15. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    "They looked scared," Art stated, quite obviously.

"The beast they're getting has cost quite a few of them their limbs in the past," said Dack.

"And you want it to run with us?" asked Khamul, wondering if this was such a good idea.

"Any beast can be broken," explained Dack. "Grolkar is a nasty creature, but he and I have some history."

Suddenly the braking of branches, in harmony with the shouts of goblins, was heard from the forest. It was then that the Salamnder burst through the trees, making a straight run at Dack, who seemed unimpressed.

Khamul had never seen a Salamander before. Its mix of grace, stregnth, and terror, in the rawest of its forms, awed him.

"Don't you recognize me you dumb bastard?" Dack yelled. "Don't think I'm going to back up as quick as a goblin!"

How cute... a family reunion. Dack contiuned with a flury of curses and shouts until finally the beast was thrown into submission, bowing to him like a peasant would a king.

Before long, they were on the road, without any events worth mentioning, until the second coming of Lora.

"He died... I'm endangering us all... They're after me! He wants to finish what he started... To... Rape and kill me. I'm endangering the group... I should leave." Lora croaked, her voice cracking feverishly as she spoke. Whatever 'they' were it seemed to Khamul that it was bothering her deeply. He wondered what kind of events had occured in her past.

Dack once again took control of the situation, ending with, "I know it may be hard to accept that there are things greater out there than your personal traumas, but in my time I've seen things that would drive a lesser man to madness, and there's still worse things than what's come before my eyes. If there's a group of enemies coming for you you aren't going to find better safety than a group like this. Even if you end up leaving us eventually, stick around for now, you may learn a thing or two that could come in handy."

Khamul stepped up behind Dack.

"Dack's right. As long as you're with us, you have nothing to worry about. Have my word, I will protect you, with whatever power i have. These people, forget about them."

16. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Bemon wandered over to the best who was to be his mount. He mets its eyes with an equal amount of fury and passion. He knew beasts took what he was doing as a challenge, but he hoped this beast would take it in a calm way despite its agressive actions. His hopes were realised. The beast stayed calm but glared at Bemon malevolently. He returned the look, but with respect, for this was a beast to be given said respect. It was older than he by a matter of decades, almost a century. It had seen many sights.

the beast shifted and lifted its eyes away then suriously cocked its head and expeosed its neck. Odd, Bemon thought, reptiles did not usually behave in this fashion, this was much more typical of a wolf or dog, even some cats, but not a reptile.

Bemon motioned for the best to follow with a wave of his hand and walked off, just outside the camp to a slight rolling hill. Once there he sat in a meditation position and watched as the great beast made its lumbering way towards him, ever cautious and wary. The ebasts intelligence was in every movement, it did nothing without carefully analyzing the outcome of any course of action. The beast moved up to Bemon, the elf closed his eyes and sent his mind forth. "Sit." The voice echoes like a thunder storm in Grolkar's mind and he could do nothing but obey. "Good. What is it they call you?"

"Greenskins call me Grolkar. A rough barbaric name. Not my true name."

"The greenskins are like that sometimes, but they have some wisdom. The call me Storm Eagle. My people call me Stormbringer. The peopel I travel with call me Bemon. The wolves call me Sky Brother, a member of the pack. What is it you would call me?"

"Thunderboom." Replied the reptile in astonishment. This paleskin could speak with him in his head. No words. No mouth actions. Incredible!

"Thunderboom. I see I cannot escape the references to nature and its fury. What is your true name?"

"Outsider." Grolkar responded with utter distaste and hidden feelings of hurt.

"Outsider. A terrible name, but something I am as well. If you are Outsider, then I am too. We are both Outsider from now on. We are both Thunderboom. We are one. We are pack. Understand brother?"

"Brother..no other ever called me brother. Brother is a term of honour. Do you deserve that honour Thunderboom?"

"That is not for me to judge. That is for you to judge. What must I do to prove myself?"

"Show Outsider why the call you Stormbringer."

"Done." Bemon opened his eyes and a shiver crawled across his entire body. The sky began to darken ever so slowly as the storm clouds rolled in on the horizon and more formed above. Bemon shifted the currents and brought in cold air from far off. He shifted the winds and thunder boomed above, then lightning struck off in the distance. Rain began to fall in small circles, slowly at first but building in tempo until it reached a chorus. The thunder boomed louder and more often, lightning lashed at the earth in an ancient struggle. Then it began to fade in the horizon. "That is why."

"Stormbringer you are. And Thunderboom. I am Thunderboom?" replied the reptile in utter disbelief.

"Yes. We are brothers, brothers are one. We are Outsider. We are Thunderboom, we are Stormbringer, we are Storm Eagle, we are Grolkar, we are Bemon."

"Yes we are pack."

Bemon smiled and stood. "Come brother, let us return to the others, they will be furious that I ahev extinguished their fires once again and soaked their clothing, but they can live with it." Grolkar gave a low growl in agreement. Bemon used a hot warm current which he forced around himself to dry the rain from his body. He approached the camp slowly and sought out Dack.

Once he had located his oath brother he hailed him. Dack turned to see Grolkar approaching calmly beside Bemon, "What did you do to the beast?"

"We had a little chat. I can be persuasive when necessary." Bemon replied with a wide grin.

"I can see that. Remind me to never get on your bad side." Dack said in disbelief.

"Dualy noted." With that Bemon talked over to the newly put out fires and relit them with the snap of his fingers.

17. The First Wizard

The First Wizard Im more known as Tidus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tyrael wasnt pleased to learn of the attack...but who was? He wasnt sure who sent it but if he ever found out they would pay...Tyrael didnt trust this newcomer...he seemed deceitful different.
    He knew ways to deal with liars all he needed was to know for sure...and Bemon was something else to mind.. he didnt want to be roast alive by lightning..sure he had magic but lightning? he had no defence for that..but maybe he could learn some?hmm as tyrael thought about it he figured why not lear some more the only thing better to learning is life..

The rest of the group seemed to pay no heed to Tyrael but that was fine with him..he could watch and learn as they traveled together..he could be the eyes of the shadow and the ears of the wind...

18. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Lucan parried one blow and another took its place in and instant, a hail or blades for rigorous than any he had faced in a long time.

In all his years Lucan had never found his match, and maybe that was why he was determined to find his end that way, to perpetuate his suffering. But this Avenger was phenomenal, in his eyes Lucan saw a thousand sword-plays reflected in an instant and somewhere in there was finality.

Feigning back, he let Avenger slip forward, Lucan folded into the tiger stance and lunged. The elf had to use his full body force to knock the blow aside and with that Lucan had brought himself in close. He struck out an elbow for the elf’s ribcage, but Avenger snapped back like sinew, and pounced again.

It must have been a sight for the forest creatures, two figures darting at speeds almost incomprehensible, back and forth, steel and silver whirring and clashing again and again. Each fighter so precise and so fast it was a constant exchange of moved, neither one outpacing the other.

Lucan thought the elf was holding back.

Through the mist of the Chata, Lucan looking deep into the eyes of the Avenger, watched the glistening tip of his sword dart back and forth and deep down Lucan pulled forth part of his old training.

He took one quick step back and slipped forward feet first underneath the legs of the elf, so fast and quiet he saw the brows of the Avenger raise in that moment. A sword came down as his head passed under and took a few hairs with it.

Lucan sprang back up into the back of the Avenger, knocking him forward. The elf curled midair and rolled as he landed, regaining his stance in a single moment. But he did not press the attack again, not just yet anyway.

“Some trick” He muttered. “Too fast for a human, or even elf kin, is this the fabled Chatrakan?”

Lucan nodded.

“Then this will be an interesting fight.” The elf smiled, and his stance shifted, his limbs loosened as if he had only been warming up. Lucan was glad to see it.

Two deep breaths and a prayer to the earth, Lucan slipped back into the mist and worked the rhythm of the arts in his mind once more. He slipped into the fisherking stance and waited.

The Avenger leapt forward, too fast and too far, his sword flashing for Lucan’s throat. Parry followed by parry and a vivid clash of blades. This was what Lucan had been waiting for, a real master, one whose skill and physical prowess alone matched for his magic conditioning.

Where before the fight had been in a small circle above the quiet brook, now it spread further and further, each fighter growing more dynamic in their assault, until they danced their blades through the forest.

Lucan slid through the dirt, jumped forward and slashed, meeting the Avenger’s sliver blade with his, the quick elf somersaulted over Lucan’s shoulder, his body an inch away but never touching, As Lucan span he saw the blade coming up to run through his midriff. Lucan span and parried behind his glancing the blow aside but he felt a trickle of blood down his back.

Lucan cursed himself for growing careless, in the old days he wouldn’t have even thought about dodging an attack like that, he just would have, but over a decade of brawling with sops and fools he had not had a real challenge in an age.

Two more deep breaths while there was a pause, chanting the old words in his mind over and over, the mantra that opened the body and mind to the possibilities beyond simple motion.

Lucan ran towards the Avenger, but to the side, he jumped and kicked off an old tall oak, as he slid through the air he turned himself and kicked off another old tree, the sudden change of direction taking him to the elf.

Avenger saw him coming, bringing his sword down in an arc, Lucan twisted so he was slipping through the air feet forward and in the single moment of his flight, he caught the Avenger’s blade between his feet. Lucan pulled his arms together and twisted himself, spinning the blade from the elf’s grasp and burying it in a nearby tree.

The Avenger had been surprised, but taken note, slipping away from Lucan’s flight-path to retrieve his sword. Lucan landed in a crouch and waited for the Avenger.

That single motion, from running through the trees to spinning in the air had all been done in seconds, it was good to know the old art had not been forgotten, good to know he was once more testing his limits.

Avenger plucked his sword from the wood, scattering chips across the roots of the huge tree. His smile remained but he frowned too.

“Very impressive, of all the swordsmen I have faced, none have lasted so long, and none flow through the air like falling leaves.”

“Or snow in a blizzard” Lucan said, remembering the old days.

“I see where you get your name Fenestreathe”

“Where snow dances as my blade, where hail crushes as my wrath, where ice slows my foe’s heart, where hope is lost among my storm.” Dana had made those words for him; that was the first moment Lucan had ever wanted anything more than to be a sword-master.

“Poetry was never an interest of mine.” Avenger spouted, brushing off the pause and heading back for the assault. This time the elf moved like water, slowing into stances faster than he could perform them, trying to throw Lucan off his scent, for a while it worked but the technique was not perfect.

There were only so many stances, and to flow into them they had to go through the intervening steps, this swordplay brought a flurry of blows, but soon enough Lucan synched his motions with the elf.

Now they were back together, locked in close combat, swords clashing and twirling a hair’s breadth from their skin, time passed by.

They dashed back and forward, passing between close combat and acrobatics, Lucan jumped through trees again, slid through the dirt, he even kicked himself off the air at one point. His grasp of the Chatrakan was growing with each passing moment. Avenger was no different, he reacted to each move, flowing like the wind and meeting Lucan with his blade.

Eventually darkness came, by that time Avenger was bleeding from cuts to his torso and Lucan had bruises over most of his body, it seemed they had been fighting most of the day but for Lucan, it was all the same moment.

Darkness was settling but within the mist, Lucan could still see and he was sure the elf’s eyes were attuned to the darkness.

They clashed back and forth again, again and again, at a constant stalemate. Lucan, growing frustrated decided to push for the kill, he parried one strike from the Avenger and slashed forward from right to left, only this time he put all his strength and that of the Chatrakan into the blade and it cut through the air faster than anything.

When the Avenger’s sword came up to parry it seemed to be moving through water it was so slow. As steel met silver, the Elf’s blade stopped for a moment and then a single keening echo, Lucan’s blade parted the silver and the Avenger’s sword spilled into shards through the darkness. The strike had been defending the elf’s face and several pieces of silver took the Avenger in the eye, blood spilled forth.

A few silver shards buried themselves in Lucan’s hand and chest but by that time he felt no pain. As the elf staggered back disorientated Lucan kicked him over and put his sword point to Avenger’s throat.

“I yield” The elf said clutching his ruined face, Lucan had been disappointed again.

In silence he picked up the elf and took him back to the silent shack, there he warmed water and cleaned out the gashes to his face.

Two silver pieces had split the eye and blood was spilling forth with no end, sooner or later the eye would have to come out, but it was not a job for today.

Avenger croaked through his pain, but it seemed his mind was on their duel “What you did was not possible, that sword was forged with the blood of dying star, metal from the heavens, it parted the iron mace of an ogre king who stood taller than the trees of this forest.”

“Will is what makes a blade strong, not the blade itself but the hand that holds it, this is the first tenet of the Chatrakan as told since the dawn of time.”

“You must have been eager to win then” Avenger winced a he touched his fingers to his face. “To have done such a thing.”

Lucan could feel his face, like stone, but he was crying.

“No, eager to lose.”

Avenger paused, dumbstruck. “Why?”

In that lone shack, nestled in a sea of trees and the deep dark of night, Lucan felt he could open up, why not? His one last hope had failed him, a fighter who had practiced for millennia had failed to best him.

“I have….done things that cannot be forgiven, by myself or any other, for that alone I deserve death, but….” He rubbed the tears from his eyes. “I made an oath to my masters, to my friends, the people I loved, an oath I will never break, to stay true to the tenets of the Chatrakan, which forbids the taking of ones own life. So I have searched for many years to find someone who can end my suffering, but my honour, my oath, will not let me give anything less than what I am capable of.”

His tears stopped, not for trying, but he had spent all his water on sweat today, his eyes stung.

Lying back on his bed the Avenger cradled his shredded face and looked at Lucan with something between pity and confusion. “No crime is worth punishing yourself so much.”

Through stinging eyes and a burning face Lucan made one forlorn chuckle. “I loved someone so much, so deeply I could not breathe. But they knew not my feelings, they refused to notice, and it turned to darkness and betrayal, for the one I loved was betrothed to another and in my wrath and my jealousy I killed them both. I am a monster, an abomination. And for that I must die, for killing someone as wondrous as Dana.”

Lucan turned to Avenger, who had passed out from loss of blood and so Lucan treated his wounds and stitched up the old elf and left him there to sleep.

Knowing the elf was unconscious did not stop Lucan’s confession, it was as much for himself as for the Avenger, a part of his past that merited confrontation.

“I spent every moment I could with Dana, but being so close attracted the eyes of another, Gwynn. She came to me, wanting me, but I refused her. A woman spurned is a terrible thing, and she told lies to punish me, she told Dana I had taken her by force.”

Lucan breathed deeply, remembering the confrontation.

“Dana came to me, wrathful, thinking Gwynn told the truth, his sword bare to defend his queen’s honour, and I pleaded with him as he lunged for me. I told him everything, of my love, of my pain, and he still lunged at me, called me a freak, somehow I had drawn my sword……any then he was dead.”

“Gwynn found me holding his body and then came my wrath, for ruining it all. After that I fled, ever since killing the only person I ever loved, waiting for death and justice to find me.”

That night Lucan did not sleep, he huddled in the corner of the Avenger’s shack, trying not to cry.

19. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lora smiled, or at least she tried. Dack clearly didn't know who they were up against...
    She laughed a little.

"You're a kind man, Dack. I know you're doing your best to protect me- to protect us.
    You remind me of my father..." The last she added in a barely hearable whisper.

"These men... They are some of the best assassins the world's ever seen. I should know- I've trained with them... But perhaps we stand a chance... After all, you're leading a little army." She laughed a little. "I guess there's much for me to learn..." She paused, to think.

"Thank you, Dack." She hugged him, and then she darted away, blushing. Perhaps she had overreacted. She shouldn't have hugged him. But he had reminded her so of her father...
    She kept at a distance, and returned to the stables where she attempted to mount one of the horses, without much luck.

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The world's greatest assassins? Dack suppressed a chuckle at that. How often had the world's best this or that met an embarrassing end against a rag tag lot like this? And how well would they do against a rampaging beast if Dack was to lose his temper? He supposed that they'd all find out soon enough, especially if the assassins were stupid enough to follow them into the depths. He doubted they'd have had any experience with weapons like what Max had showed him.

With that she quickly hugged him then dashed off, almost seeming embarrassed. Dack shrugged it off then looked into the sky, mid-day was fast approaching, they needed to get moving. He looked over at Bemon, then signaled him to get everyone around. After that he entered into the animal tent to see about getting Lora a beast.

She was trying, without any success, to hop up onto a horse. "They're not for everyone you know," he said, startling her with his sudden appearance. "Horses I mean, for some people a horse just isn't the right animal. Luckily there's more than just horses out there." He motioned her to follow, and as she did she noticed the variety of beasts being held here. "An assassin in particular doesn't have as much use for a horse if they can get a feel for something else. Something a bit more agile, if not as strong."

When he finally stopped she looked into the pen that he opened. Within was a slender lizard like creature that stood on two legs. Several jagged teeth lined its maw and it shifted its hands like a trained boxer. "Cave runners are quick and agile, but they aren't quite as strong or bold as horses," said Dack. "But considering where we're going it might be handy to have one around."

Dack pulled a small saddle off of the gate and laid it on the runner, which crouched low as if anticipating a rider. "All you need to do is hold on tight, if its got a saddle ready its trained to stick with a group unless the rider really needs it to break away," said Dack as he set up its reigns, then left Lora and the runner in the tent to get acquainted. Before he exited he said one more thing, "The sooner you get mounted up the better, we need to leave soon."