Heroes Needed...

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    "Eagle Thunder" the wind whispered the familiar name is his ear. How long had it been since he had last heard that name. The spot on his hand which had once harboured a bllod oath scar throbbed. The wind had brought him this name for a reason, the wind always had it's reasons. He sat in his meditaion a moment longer, he would have to consult the earth. Not far the earth told him, not far off was where Eagle Thunder had been raised. The earth was old and never forgets what happens upon it. The wind is good for fresh news but not old secrets and histories, that is the earths domain.

The tall man rose with ease and sent his mind into the wind, sent it searching for answers to new questions. Two miles east. That was where the name had come from. He felt them, saw them in an absract way through the wind and it's touch. And he was there, Eagle Thunder. And another, one who reeked of another familiar aura. But that could not be, they would never be together. They were like him and his brother, always opposing, ever changing.

He slung his package across his back and began to move east with a speed few could manage on their feet. Walking was always something he ahd enjoyed, the feel of the wind against his face and the way it tossed it long locks of pitch black hair in the air. The sounds the wind made as it ruffled his great black woolen coat. The sounds of grass crushing beneath his feet. The sight of the land before him. The oneness he achieved with nature. He would walk to find the answer to his question.

2. TheImmortalMessenger

TheImmortalMessenger Spinner of Lost Tales

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    A soft growl and a moan was good enough for Zozo to realize he was starving. He kept thinking about how he wished he'd have kept his money from the other day, but he knew it was the right thing to do for that old man. He ended up stealing a small meal the other night from some random pub and was almost mauled before he even got down a single bite. All he knew was if he didn't find something soon, there'd be no-

Zozo stopped dead in his tracks, and stood eerily still. A couple of quick sniffs of the air was all he needed to guide him in the right direction. He tore off through the fields, stumbling every few steps. following the scent on the air. It did not take him long to find the source of the smell...

Food

From atop a hill, Zozo was able to see the campsite below, with several occupents, orc and goblin by the feel of it...but there was another smell on the wind that was different. Elf, Man, Half breed, Halfling....odd that he should be smelling that coming from an orc camp, and it not being the same as the food.

There was a familiar scent among them, Zozo couldn't just leave it be...if the person he was looking for was in there, he had a job to complete...but so many orcs, would it be worth it? The sun sat high in the sky, moving toward the evening side, nighttime would come in a few hours....

Zozo sat thinking about what to do, unable to come up with a clear solution to his problem. Perhaps it would be better to just go in as he was, it wasn't like he was armed, and if they were accepting non-orcish guests, perhaps they would permit him too...

Zozo stood to his feet, and gave the air one last sniff. No doubt about it, that was a familiar scent...it would be lovely to finally end this cat and mouse game once and for all.

3. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Soon enough the others all sat down as well. They all seemed somewhat interested, but mostly baffled by this situation, all except Silluin, who seemed lost in thoughts all her own. Not surprising, she was a friend of Vaden's, an actual friend, any time he was mentioned she seemed to drift off. She tried to hide her sadness at the mention of his name, But even so Dack could see it just the slightest bit. So he really did change he thought.

"So Dack," said Khamul. "I think we'd all be interested to know how you, came to um..."

"Why the orcs took in a pair of elves?" Dack said with a smile. "Well, I usually like to let others tell it, but I guess for now it'll do well enough if I let you know how it all happened." He sat forward, "The city of Kaero is sacred to the orcs. That goes back to the age of mists in a story that would take too long to tell right now. But anyway, that's where me and my brother were born. One day, one of the suburbs of the city was sacked by a band of heretic orcs. My parents were among the slaughtered, my brother and I would have been among that number two if it wasn't for the Broken Tusk tribe."

"The Broken Tusks entered the fray and killed every last orc, goblin, and slave that the first tribe claimed as a member. Then they moved on. My brother was about ten years old, he knew he couldn't take care of me, an infant at the time, alone, so he picked me up and followed the Tusks into the steppes. The orcs didn't bother to try and take us up, but they kept a watch on us, to see how we were fairing. Unfortunately the animals of the steppes weren't near as indifferent to us."

The wolves closed in soon, Vaden had been following the orcs for days, neither of us had eaten, as the wolves closed in my brother collapsed. The high khan of the tusks watched the scene, but as he turned away he saw something move through the air in the corner of his eye. He turned and watched in awe as the eagle landed on me, and let out a cry that echoed through the plains like thunder. Without hesitation the khan drew his sword and slaughtered the wolves, then brought the two of us into camp. It was determined that we were chosen by the orc gods to live lives of great purpose, so we were trained in all the ways of the orcs by all of their greatest warriors, and Mama Craguh of coarse."

"Thasright you bes be givun me credit boy!" said Mama Craguh as she hobbled out of the tent. She had a water skin in her hand that she laid in Dack's lap, then she hobbled over to the other orcs as they finished setting up the last of the tents.

Dack took a long look at the skin, then took off the cork and took a long deep drink. His expression was a mixture of disgust and pain. "Gah, and to think I used to kind of like the taste of this garbage," he muttered and tossed the skin into the fire. There was a moment of silence before Mama Craguh hobbled over to Dack again.

"Eagul Thundah, they's an uninvatid guest upn the grass tha," she said.

"Why're you telling me, you've still got wolf shirts don't you?" said Dack.

"Boy ye besn't be gettin a smat mouth with me," said Mama Craguh in the voice a mother scolds a child.

Dack sighed and forced himself up. He noticed the elixer was already taking effect, but he still moved with a heavy limp, "You guys stay here, this won't take long." After saying this Dack let off a quick short whistle, his bird perked up and then ran off. Dack began to make his way up the hill, he could scarcely see who it was up there, but he could definitely tell that they were there indeed.

Dack let out a grumble as he continued up the hill, then began to whistle softly, "Whoever you are it's best that you show yourself now, you won't be too happy with what happens if you make this difficult."

"Why should I listen to you?" they said back.

"Because right now my decision is the only one that matters in whether or not you live to see tomorrow," Dack answered. They hesitated, Dack went on. "I'm going to give you five more seconds to come over here."

"What happens in five seconds?" said the stranger before they let out a loud 'oof' and were sent toppling down the hill-side.

Dack clicked his tongue twice as the bird came over the hill from where it had knocked the stranger down. "Something like that," said Dack as he reached the side of the stranger. "Now, I've got a gang of very rough tough swords people, and some very mean orc friends here who don't take kindly to people sneaking around..."

Dack's bird began to squack and call rapidly, there was something coming, "Go to the camp fire, sit far away from everyone and wait for me to get back, I'll deal with you then." The stranger scuttled off, Dack assumed that he was obeying, but he didn't care right now, he hurried back up to the bird. "What the hell are you yacking about?"

The bird rammed its head into his chest and bit down on his wrist as he flung it forward to stabilize himself. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" he demanded until the bird tore off the sleeve of his shirt, revealing the long faded scar that held a meaning few elves could grasp. As soon as the sleeve was off the bird took to the air again, Dack watched it fly off, then looked at the scar. As he walked back to the fire he continued to stare at the mark, muttering one thing to himself over and over again, "There's no way...."

4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Tyrael certainly was an interesting character. He seemed to have good intentions, but his enterance was anything but heroic. Someone found sleeping on a rooftop, stalking you, wasn't exactly the first person you would want to trust. But, at least he hadn't led to another fight.

Khamul smiled. He was starting to like this. Nothing much had happened yet, but it was quite a fun ride. Yep. This was going to be alot more fun that he had thought.

They all sat down for breakfast, and he noticed how large the group had gotten. The more the merrier; he thought optimistically. Well, he didn't truly believe that, but it couldn't be helped. It was to late to turn anyone down. Taking a bite into a piece of bread, he looked over at Pan. He had been quiet since last night. He must still be adjusting to the surrondings. It was sort of strange to get dropped into the group without many introductions.

Taking a bite into a piece of [stale] bread, Khamul was realized that he still wasn't very hungry. Biting his tounge attempting to chew the bread, he looked over at Dack to see any signs of him leaving. If he left the rest of them were likely to follow. Dack stood up just then, and then him and the rest of the motley group followed after as they headed out to the stables after Silluin.

Then Khamul was up for a suprise. With a whistle, DAck called over a bird, which landed next to him. "Is she still in the north field?" Dack asked. The bird made some noises with its beak that Khamul could only ponder on. "Good, the quicker we find Mama Craguh the better..."

Right. Now that was certainly an exciting twist. Khamul laughed outloud. Was his hangover getting to him?

The group rounded up around Dack. "We've got a lot of ground to cover, but if we don't stop we'll reach where I need us to be very soon With any luck it'll be before mid-day."

Thanks for the fill-in, Dack. Khamul felt like letting out a sarcastic remark, but he thought twice. What was the point?

Dack mounted the majestic bird, as they set off to this so called Mama Craugh. As they arrived at a camp of orcs, Khamul for the first time doubted Dack. Some sort of disussion went on in orcish, which Khamul did not understand, and they were led to a tent. At least they knew Dack. That would take out the other grim possibiltiy.

It was after a meeting with an infamous Mama Craguh, that Khamul finally put it all together. Dack had been raised by this tribe. Very interesting.

"So Dack," said Khamul, looking for the right words. "I think we'd all be interested to know how you, came to um..."

"Why the orcs took in a pair of elves?" Dack said with a smile. "Well, I usually like to let others tell it, but I guess for now it'll do well enough if I let you know how it all happened." He sat forward, "The city of Kaero is sacred to the orcs. That goes back to the age of mists in a story that would take too long to tell right now. But anyway, that's where me and my brother were born. One day, one of the suburbs of the city was sacked by a band of heretic orcs. My parents were among the slaughtered, my brother and I would have been among that number two if it wasn't for the Broken Tusk tribe......."

Dack continued with his suprising story. Truly, Khamul never would have guessed. It seemed that Orcs weren't as cold-blooded as he had originally thought. Well at least not the Broken Tusk Tribe.

Khamul laughed. Dack sent by the gods. That was a good one.

5. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    The clouds formed with amazing speed. Aided by the currents he called forth. He was called the Stormbringer, it was his inner name, how could he deny it then?

"There's no way..." Dack muttered in mindlessly. And to him there could be no way. This was something from another time, another place, yet here it was forming infront of his keen eyes. The thunder clouds rolled in from the corners of the sky. Rain began to pour on the dishevelled elf. A black cloud seemed to walk on the earth towards him in a form he had not seen in countless years.

Bemon strode forward and offered his hand to Dack. Their odd eyes met for the first time in years, the long-faded scar of Bemon's began to throb. "I forgot that you never healed like me Brother."

6. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    "The city of Kaero is sacred to the orcs. That goes back to the age of mists in a story that would take too long to tell right now. But anyway, that's where me and my brother were born. One day, one of the suburbs of the city was sacked by a band of heretic orcs. My parents were among the slaughtered, my brother and I would have been among that number two if it wasn't for the Broken Tusk tribe."

"The Broken Tusks entered the fray and killed every last orc, goblin, and slave that the first tribe claimed as a member. Then they moved on. My brother was about ten years old, he knew he couldn't take care of me, an infant at the time, alone, so he picked me up and followed the Tusks into the steppes. The orcs didn't bother to try and take us up, but they kept a watch on us, to see how we were fairing. Unfortunately the animals of the steppes weren't near as indifferent to us."

"The wolves closed in soon, Vaden had been following the orcs for days, neither of us had eaten, as the wolves closed in my brother collapsed. The high khan of the tusks watched the scene, but as he turned away he saw something move through the air in the corner of his eye. He turned and watched in awe as the eagle landed on me, and let out a cry that echoed through the plains like thunder. Without hesitation the khan drew his sword and slaughtered the wolves, then brought the two of us into camp. It was determined that we were chosen by the orc gods to live lives of great purpose, so we were trained in all the ways of the orcs by all of their greatest warriors, and Mama Craguh of coarse."

"Thasright you bes be givun me credit boy!" said Mama Craguh as she hobbled out of the tent.

Silluin had an eerie feeling of being watched, not the bad kind.. it was just eerie. She knew it must have been Vaden. She was caught in between enjoying getting to know about his past and absolutely hating being here... She couldn't help but be distraught... and she really wished that Mama Craguh hadn't brought such attention to herself earlier... even know, the orc examined her. Silluin knew it was only a matter of time before Mama Craguh spoke with her one on one.

"Eagul Thundah, they's an uninvatid guest upn the grass tha," Mama Craguh said. Dack argued a bit, but got up and left. The company was left alone in this strange orc world.

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The air grew thicker as the scar started to throb. The others were silent as the rain began to fall Dack looked up and stood, the others cautiously did the same, most of them grabbing weapons of one sort or another, not caring that Dack had left Akurai leaning against the log he was sitting on moments before. For the first time in two generations of men Dack heard the voice that at one point he'd been hearing every day.

The large elf strode forward and extended his hand, "I forgot that you never healed like me Brother."

Dack's face went from a look of disbelief to that wild grin as the two shook, "And I forgot that there were people out there that could make a bigger entrance then me."

"Yes I suppose I am guilty on that count, so Dack, you going to introduce me to these friends?" Bemon asked.

"Ah yeah, the new gang, everyone, this is Bemon, my oath brother," Dack chose the word oath due to being in the company of elves, a race that typically found blood rituals unpleasant. "Bemon, this is Art, Khamul, Pan, Lora, Tyrael, and Silluin. They're sure different from Lorek and Alhelor, but so far I think they'll be just as good a group as we had in the old days, maybe better."

"Dear gods Dack, you're leading an army," chuckled Bemon who chose for now to ignore the subtle way Dack's voice had changed in mentioning Silluin, a change only someone who knew him as well as Bemon could detect. "What's the story with that one," said Bemon, pointing to Zozo who sat on the stump.

"Ah yeah, just found him on the outskirts of camp, don't know about him yet," said Dack.

"By Nabah's ghost Eagul Thundah why you keep brining people hea!" said Mama Craguh as she hobbled over.

"Relax, this one's family," said Dack.

"Hmm, ah see, well try nah to get t'many more, else yull be lusin 'um in the depths," said Mama Craguh. Normally she would have given Dack more hell about this, but the word 'family' made her choose not to. If nothing else Dack had taken the importance of family with him right from the Fist.

"Bah, I know I know," said Dack. "You just worry about getting some food in us, me and the others are in need."

"Ah'll get it when ah dahm well please boy!" shouted Mama Craguh as she hobbled away again, shouting orders to the orcs and goblins.

"Anyway, Bemon, take care of the fire you put out would you?" grinned Dack as he returned to his seat next to Silluin. Before he got a chance to speak Mama Craguh hobbled over again.

"Befo ya git too cumfe I be needin a talk wit this'n," she said, mostly to Dack and Silluin as she pointed to the hobbit elf.

Dack and Silluin looked at each other for a moment, if it had been anyone else in the company Dack would have asked what Mama Craguh wanted to know, but Silluin was the only member of the party Dack had even the slightest clue about, and he knew exactly what Mama Craguh would want to talk about. But although Silluin hid it well Dack could see the sense of dread she held at speaking to Mama Craguh alone.

"Don't keep her too long, we've got a lot that needs discussed," Dack said, knowing he couldn't argue, but could at least try to make this as easy for Silluin as possible.

Mama Craguh simply nodded as she led Silluin away, far enough away that none of the elven ears in the camp would hear them, especially not the pair she'd trained herself. "Ye haven't tuld Dack everthin' aboot you'n Vaden have ye?" she asked with a gentle, for an orc, smile.

"No," answered Silluin cautiously. "How much do you know?"

"As much as Vaden tuld meh fore he left this wuld," said Mama Craguh. "An ah shud thank ye, fur sevin him. If ye hadn't com round he'd still be sleve t'tha past. But ye shud tell Eagul Thundah about that last quest o'Vaden's. Ah wun tell 'im everthin, tha's not muh place, but I'm gun let him know tha most importan part. He be needin to know that afore ye go inta tha depths. No go chald, Eagul Thundah and thathas is waitin for ye t'com back 'n sit s'they cun et. And Eagul Thundah t'make sure yo'kay."

8. TheImmortalMessenger

TheImmortalMessenger Spinner of Lost Tales

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    If looks could kill, Zozo would have joined the afterlife long before he'd even taken his seat.

The campfire crackled loudly as the silence around it had come to it's fullest. Obviously nobody knew what to make of him, he'd just stumbled in on all of them without so much as a formal greeting. Hoping to show his good intentions, Zozo grinned broadly across the flames at the other non-orcs; none of whom returned the favor.

Zozo dropped his heavy case off by his seat, and began to drum away at his leg with his fingers. That bird had given him quite a fright, but it's approach was anything but unexpected. Well, better to look a fool than a psycho. He turned his gaze to the orcs, hoping to try and ease the tension around the fire.

"May I have-"

"Shut up outsider"

Zozo replied with a quiet "yes sir" and continued to stare at his feet. He closed his eyes and silently sniffed the air...that familiar scent was among this group, whoever he'd been searching for was here, but he'd be getting nowhere until the Elf returned. Without thinking, he'd picked up a small pebble during the thought process, and looked up to see a few orcs nearby, hands on their weapons. Zozo dropped the pebble back to the floor and began to brush himself off. He was losing more points with this crowd than he was making....he could only hope that elf would return soon.

Zozo didn't want to die hungry

9. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Mama Craguh led Silluin away, far enough away that none of the elven ears in the camp would hear them, especially not the pair she'd trained herself. "Ye haven't tuld Dack everthin' aboot you'n Vaden have ye?" she asked with a gentle, for an orc, smile.

"No," answered Silluin cautiously. "How much do you know?"

"As much as Vaden tuld meh fore he left this wuld," said Mama Craguh. "An ah shud thank ye, fur sevin him. If ye hadn't com round he'd still be sleve t'tha past. But ye shud tell Eagul Thundah about that last quest o'Vaden's. Ah wun tell 'im everthin, tha's not muh place, but I'm gun let him know tha most importan part. He be needin to know that afore ye go inta tha depths. No go chald, Eagul Thundah and thathas is waitin for ye t'com back 'n sit s'they cun et. And Eagul Thundah t'make sure yo'kay."

Silluin was not comfortable at all in having to talk to Dack about her past with Vaden, let alone Vaden's last quest... and the fact that he died saving her. Dack seemed to be in such a good mood... she hated to ruin that. She walked back to the fire with Mama, and she sat by Dack and whispered to him in Uruk, "I need to talk to you about your brother whenever you get a moment of freedom to do so." He looked at her curiously, but nodded. It was time to eat, and at the moment, food took precedence over most matters.

10. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Kael sat at a table in the corner of a village inn. He had long lost his map, and therefore his knowledge of where he was going. He took another swig of drink. Even the anger that had originally propelled him towards his goal was beginning to ebb. He took a swallow. Why is my resolve weakening? Out of the six deaths of those who raided his home so far, he could only remember two, and one of those only vaugely. He came to the realization that he must be very drunk, and attempted to lift the tankard in front of him using magic. The thing only gave a fitfull wobble, then stopped. Not good. Kael decided that he should get leaving. He stood up, dug some coins from his pocket, and wobbled over to the front. A fat balding man was polishing a cup behind the counter. "That'll be two coins, sir," the Inkeeper said. Kael quietly reached into a pocket of his robe and pulled out two coins, and put them on the counter. He ran as quickly as he could out the door, and retched noisily. Ugh... Why did I have to get myself so drunk? If I run in to trouble, I won't be able to defend myself... He walked down the road and out of the small village.

He had been walking for a half an hour before he heard a noise to the side of the road. He spun around, and watched with horror as the flat side of an axe smashed him in the top of the head. There was a sickening crunch, a flash of blinding light, and the world went dark.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    "I need to talk to you about your brother whenever you get a moment of freedom to do so," said Silluin in the rough tongue of the Uruk Hai. He looked at her curiously, but nodded. It was time to eat, and at the moment, food took precedence over most matters.

While Silluin had been away Dack had told one of the orcs that had been preparing the food not to give any to the one they'd captured right away. He wanted to do that himself. The food was distributed as was customary of the orcs. The biggest non-orcs got the most, the smallest non-orcs got the least. Dack was an exception to this, he didn't need to eat much, and the orcs knew this much just from having lived with Mama Craguh for this long.

Dack waited for a while, letting the others dig in for a few minutes, and letting the smell of the food fill the air before he got up and carried a helping over to the stranger. As he handed the odd one his portion Dack leaned in close and spoke quietly, "If I ever catch you sneaking around my people like that again, armed or not, you won't need to worry about food, because I'll be taking your head."

He stood up and took a step back, letting his message sink in, "Now eat up, you're going to need your strength when we reach the depths." Dack didn't let the discussion continue, but by the look he shot to the stranger he wasn't giving him any choice in the matter. Dack knew the others might protest this, but Dack wasn't worried about any of that right now. He took a seat next to Silluin again as Mama Craguh moved into the middle of their circle near the fire.

"Well chilluns, ye won't be here fer long, but Eagul Thundah wonent bring ye here if he din't want ye te be gittin propah battle nems," she said as she waved her hand before the fire, the flames kicking up as she did. The orcs and goblins took spots around the group and began beating on drums in a rhythmic and synchronized fashion.

"Orc battle nems're a reflecshun of the ones theys givun to, they bind a group in th'eyes a tha gods, an meke ye accountable t'each otha. Now, I'll be gittin yall ya nems," said Mama Craguh as she began to walk around the fire. The others realized this was what Dack had brought them here for, but what they didn't know was why he wanted them to be given battle names.

An orc battle name could only be given by a shaman. And it was meant to be a reflection of a warriors battle style, and the person themselves. Of everyone present Dack was the only one that knew how to interpret the meaning of all of the names, and he wanted to know what he could expect from the others.

Mama Craguh came to Art first, she pointed to him and spoke, "Ye battle nem will be Mystic Crow." Art was clearly unsure how to reply, but Mama Craguh quickly moved on, coming to Bemon, "Ye nem will be, Storm Eagle." Dack nodded, no surprise there, and Bemon seemed to understand as well. She moved on, coming to Tyrael, "Ye nem shall be, Crouchin' Snake," Dack had seen something along those lines coming from their meeting, he'd need to remember to explain the names to everyone later. For now Mama Craguh moved to Khamul, "Ye nem shall be, Sky Owl," Dack cocked an eyebrow at that one, but still said nothing. Mama Craguh came to Lora, "Ye nem shall be, Lashin' Snake." Dack nodded at that name, but stopped as Mama Craguh came to Silluin, "Ye nem shall be, Shadow Eagle."

Dack's eyes widened at that name, he understood its meaning more clearly than any of the others. Mama Craguh nodded to him slightly as she moved on, Dack gave a short glance to Silluin, so that's why she got misty at the mention of Vaden. Shadow Eagle had been Vaden's battle name. In orc tradition once hearts were linked a woman received the man's battle name to show their unity. That would explain why she'd come looking for him, Dack smiled and nodded as he turned his glance back to Mama Craguh who was standing before the stranger.

"Ye nem shall be, Tricky Bat," she said as she slowly hobbled out of the circle. Dack's eyes narrowed slightly at that name, there was only one thing that bat ever meant among the orcs. He'd need to keep and eye on the stranger. He looked up at the sky, still about an hour until nightfall. The orcs put away their drums and began to work on their various chores while Mama Craguh went back into her tent.

Dack stood up and looked to the others, "Help yourself to the rest of the food, anything the orcs didn't take will go to the buzzards otherwise." The others all nodded and Dack turned to Silluin, "If you still want to talk, now would be the best time." She nodded and stood and the two of them walked away a good distance to where they wouldn't be heard. "So you were his Berothak eh?" Dack asked with a smile, not seeing the point in trying to avoid the subject.

12. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    "Well chilluns, ye won't be here fer long, but Eagul Thundah wonent bring ye here if he din't want ye te be gittin propah battle nems," she said as she waved her hand before the fire, the flames kicking up as she did. The orcs and goblins took spots around the group and began beating on drums in a rhythmic and synchronized fashion.

"Orc battle nems're a reflecshun of the ones theys givun to, they bind a group in th'eyes a tha gods, an meke ye accountable t'each otha. Now, I'll be gittin yall ya nems," said Mama Craguh as she began to walk around the fire. Silluin was beginning to like it here...

Mama Craguh came to Silluin, "Ye nem shall be, Shadow Eagle." Silluin felt a strange ping of joy and sorrow at the same time.. She'd felt those feelings quite often in her life... but she didn't understand why she'd felt them now.

Dack stood up and looked to the others, "Help yourself to the rest of the food, anything the orcs didn't take will go to the buzzards otherwise." The others all nodded and Dack turned to Silluin, "If you still want to talk, now would be the best time." She nodded and stood and the two of them walked away a good distance to where they wouldn't be heard. "So you were his Berothak eh?" Dack asked with a smile, not seeing the point in trying to avoid the subject.

Silluin looked him Dack in the eyes, the eyes that looked so much like Vaden's. "Yes. I was.. I suppose I still am really... I..." She stopped, making sure that she would not cry. "I need to tell you some things that you will either hate me or love me for. I am hoping that you feel the latter." She examined his hands... no answers. "I am both the reason for your brother's soul being saved, and the reason for his death." Uh oh... tears. "I... had a vision one night long ago... and he was in the vision. He was the one who was to help me avenge my parents' death... my best friend's death... to help me become stronger..." The tears were falling silently from her face, though she was not sobbing. "I found him... and I could speak only two languages... Uruk Hai, and a few forms of Elvish. He taught me how to speak Common... I uh... well... A group formed eventually... one just about as ragtag as this group, but with fewer members. We ended up facing grinners, who I hope you have never and will never have the displeasure of meeting, though, my revenge lies within their kind, I do believe." Silluin did not bother to wipe the tears from her eyes... "A human, a wretched human who survived merely because he was so full of hatred... attacked me and Vaden would not have it. Those two fought to the death, and by the end of it... they both died. Your brother died saving me. I was so weak by the last time that the human came to get me, that had Vaden, even though he should have been long dead by then, saved me... I would have surely died." the tears were coming so hard now that there was no way she could stop them even if she wanted to "He asked me to find you, to live a happy life, and to learn about his past... so far, I've only been successful at two of those things." She shook her head... "I held your brother as he died... and that was when he called me his berothak..."

Silluin sat down on a fallen tree and put her head in her hands.

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack listened to her story, and in those moments he finally knew for sure, without any shadow of a doubt that Vaden's soul rested in paradise now. More important than that he knew that Vaden's heart had not only softened, but opened up, and that this girl must have felt the same love for him as he had for her. Her tears flowed like rivers, but she didn't wipe them away, she continued to speak until she finally concluded her story, and the sorrow became too much to bear. She sat upon and old fallen tree and buried her head in her hands.

Not a moment had passed before Dack kneeled before her and spoke, trying carefully to find the way to express just what he was feeling right now. "I know that it must be hard for you to talk about this, but we both know that Vaden wouldn't want you to be crying over him. He always hated tears," he said. Silluin looked up at him, but the tears continued to come.

"Vaden loved very few people, but he'd never loved anyone enough to use that word before you. Vaden loved you more than he'd ever loved another person in his life, as far as I'm concerned that makes us family. And anyone who knows orc culture, knows someone brought up among them could never hate family," Dack continued as he slowly reached up and wiped away the tears from her eyes.

"Had Vaden gone through a happier set of circumstances in life I know that the ending to his story, his time with you, would have been different. But the fact that he died as your shield means his tasks are now my own, and your vengeance for your loved ones is now my vengeance as well. If that means I have to fight these Grinners, then I'll do so, they can't be any worse then some of the other things I've faced. I don't know that I can help you to have a happy life, but I know that I can try, and for you, and Vaden, I'm going to try. So please little sister, don't cry anymore," said Dack with a smile again. Dack didn't know how old Silluin was, but this wasn't what he was referring to when he called her little sister. This was a term of fondness that he'd learned from the various trials of his life, and as Silluin was now a member of his 'family' it was only appropriate in his mind that he address her in that way.

14. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    "I know that it must be hard for you to talk about this, but we both know that Vaden wouldn't want you to be crying over him. He always hated tears," Dack said, with a tone in his voice that she had heard Vaden use plenty of times, she knew he was being sincere. Silluin looked up at him, but the tears continued to come, she couldn't get them to stop.

"Vaden loved very few people, but he'd never loved anyone enough to use that word before you. Vaden loved you more than he'd ever loved another person in his life, as far as I'm concerned that makes us family. And anyone who knows orc culture, knows someone brought up among them could never hate family," Dack continued as he slowly reached up and wiped away the tears from her eyes.

"Had Vaden gone through a happier set of circumstances in life I know that the ending to his story, his time with you, would have been different. But the fact that he died as your shield means his tasks are now my own, and your vengeance for your loved ones is now my vengeance as well. If that means I have to fight these Grinners, then I'll do so, they can't be any worse then some of the other things I've faced. I don't know that I can help you to have a happy life, but I know that I can try, and for you, and Vaden, I'm going to try. So please little sister, don't cry anymore," said Dack with a smile again.

Silluin didn't care to take the time to explain how vile the Grinners truly were... she was overcome with so many emotions... she did the only thing that seemed rational to do...

"Thank you brother" She said, and hugged him tightly... that making him one of the few people she had ever hugged in her entire life.

15. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack smiled and returned Silluin's hug, what an odd thing, this sort of embrace. Dack recalled that this was probably the first time he'd ever hugged a person he considered family. He was reminded of the old saying, 'orcs don't hug,' he supposed that must have been why. He held her there for another moment before patting her on the back, "Now come on, the others are probably waiting for us, and I think this would be a good time for everyone to get to know one another alittle better."

Silluin nodded and the two of them returned to the fire, from what Dack could tell there really hadn't been much of a change in the air since he and Silluin had left. As the two of them sat he spoke up, "Alright, so we've got a good amount of time left before we need to be turning in, and I figure this would be a good time for some good old fashion group bonding. Normally when I do this, I ask everyone in the group to tell us where they came from, and how they came to be on the road. But I think given this group we don't need to do that. Right now I just want everyone to tell us all a little about themselves, and answer any questions that the others have. I'll go first, but since I've already told all of you a good deal about myself, we can skip right to the questions."

"Do you ever get tired of bringing elf heavy groups to pal around with orcs?" asked Bemon with a sly grin, recalling back to one of his earliest outings with Dack.

"Heh, well I figure if I'm going to be leading I may as well let everyone know just why I'm such a crazy bastard," answered Dack. As he mentioned this one of Mama Craguh's orcs whom they hadn't seen before dragged up the body of yet another person and rested him by the party, then gave Dack the signal of a mage before wandering off again. Dack shook his head, orcs had the funniest way of enlisting help. "Anyway, next question?"

16. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Kael began to stir fitfully. Why did he have such a headache? Oh, right... He vaguely remembered the axe crashing down on his head. Then he remembered who wielded the axe. An orc...? What are orcs doing here? Am I really that lost? He decided he'd better see where they dumped him. Kael opened his eyes. Apparently, he was in some sort of orc camp. He decided he would at least comply to whatever they might want. Kael sat up, and noticed those sitting around a fire. What a strange mix of people... He stood up, and before anyone moved to intercept him, squinted suspiciously and said "I am Kael Movandarr, sorcerer of Fire and Storm. Now, if you would, tell me why I have been brought here..."

17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack couldn't help a yawn that came with the sorcerer's introduction. Mage's took themselves so seriously, it really was a shame. They were damn handy to have around, but the whole super fighter thing got pretty bothersome. Still, Dack didn't see any reason not to try to win over another member for the party. He stood.

"Well Kael Movandarr I'm Dackian Rindaloo Keeneyes, slayer of all manner of evils both magical and not. This is my party, going to go fight some air pirates, and while I can't be sure why you were brought here I'm assuming by the way you were left off that the orc who caught you figured you'd be handy to our quest. You're free to join us if you want, if not you can also feel free to leave, I can grant you unbothered passage back to wherever you came from," said Dack as he studied the young sorcerer.

He was in good shape, but he wasn't a sword swinger. He'd have more endurance than most mages, but upon recalling the last experience he'd had with a mage who introduced himself by his school of magic Dack was a tad concerned over how he'd react to the others. He guessed he'd just have to wait and see how he answered.

18. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    "Well Kael Movandarr I'm Dackian Rindaloo Keeneyes, slayer of all manner of evils both magical and not. This is my party, going to go fight some air pirates, and while I can't be sure why you were brought here I'm assuming by the way you were left off that the orc who caught you figured you'd be handy to our quest. You're free to join us if you want, if not you can also feel free to leave, I can grant you unbothered passage back to wherever you came from."
    Kael slowly examined everyone in the party. He gave a half-smile. Well, this may be interesting..." Fine, I shall accompany you. But I must learn more about what we will be traveling for."
    Kael, once again, looked at everyone in the party. "Another thing. I may specialize in storm and fire magic, but I also enjoy studying other kinds. If any of you know magic, I would be very glad to study with you."
    He sat at the fire, and pulled a flask out of his robe, taking a swig.

19. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Art had been pretty silent most of the day. He silently listened to Dack's story, he watched and said nothing as a stranger was brought into the camp,as well as an elf who controlled nature it seemed, he went through the battle name ceremony without a word, and he said nothing as a mage named Kael was dumped into the camp. His eye picked up some powerful magic around the newcomers Kael and this "storm mage". After hearing Dack's request for the party to share their stories, he decided to speak. He had come to trust most of these people, and he saw no harm in telling them about himself.

"Alright then, Dack, I guess I'll share first." All eyes turned to him. "Hmm, where to begin..."

Art collected his thoughts, and began. "Well, my mother was a human and my father an elf. They were poor travellers who sought nothing but the happiness and the welfare of their half-breed child. And for them, it was damn hard to find that happiness and welfare. We were so poor, we had to steal. the first 14 years of my life, my parents tought me how to steal. It's pretty much all I was good for.

Anyway, one day on our travels, we came across a port city. Deepport is what I think it was called. If I had known what was to happen there, I would never have set foot in the damn place."

Art gritted his teeth as the memories came back to him. He sighed and continued.

"My family went into the city, it looked like any other city we'd been in before. As usual, we headed straight for the market place, in order to 'collect' our supper."

Art smirked. "While my mother was in the process of stealing a few apples from a stall, the shopkeep noticed what she was doing and called for the guards. Mother never was very good at stealing. The city of Deepport had very strict laws, and whoever was caught stealing was killed on the spot. The guard who came immediately drew his sword and drover right through mum. The guard grinned a big, toothy, stupid grin, sheathed his sword, and strode away. My father, overcome with grief, drew his swords and plunged them into his heart. The bastard could have cared less about what would become of me."

Art paused. "These swords." He was looking at the ground now, and couldn't see the expressions on his companions' faces.

"I walked over to my father's corpse, and grabbed his swords and daggers." Art pointed at the daggers on his belt. "I tracked down the bastard guard, and, in the quiet of a dark alley, I murdered him. Somehow, the alarm was sounded, probably some damn witness, and I soon had about 15 guards on my ass."

Art almost drew his swords he was so angry.

"Thats when I first saw him. He was standing in the middle of the road I was running on, just standing there, his golden robes glimmering in the moonlight. He raised a finger, there was a flash of light, and the guards were nothing more than a heap of bloody pulp. I looked up at the mage, who was smiling down at me, and I began to cry. Dammit. If I hadn't cried, he probably wouldn't have taken me in."

"He took me in as his own, and acted like a father to me. In the beginning. Soon he had me doing almost impossible chores in his tower, beating me everytime I failed. Eventually, I learned how to do all his bloody chores, and he 'rewarded' me with this."

Art took a deep breath. He pulled his hood down from his head. His left eye was golden, and had no pupil. Around the eye, Art's skin had been twisted into the form of a dragon, the dragon's maul opening as the scar reached the end of Art's eyebrow.

"The reason he called it a reward was because this eye can do two things. One, it lets me see magical auras. It comes in handy now, but when I first got it, I nearly went insane. I saw magic everywhere, and every time I saw it, I would go unconcious. It took me two months to master that power. Now I can turn it on and off when I choose."

"The second power, which took me 5 months to master, is this." Art unsheathed one of his swords. He activated the magic in his eye, and suddenly, the blade of the sword glew green.

"I can enchant weapons. Any kind, unless the blade already has magic in it." He focused, and the blade returned to its normal state.

"After I mastered this, I realized what the mage wanted me for. I was to be his personal slave, acting in areas of magic where he could not. He beat me if I failed. This went on for two years. I eventually grew sick of it. One day, while he was giving me one of his twisted lessons, I drew my swords, enchanted them with fire, and tore him to pieces. I burned down his tower, and fled the city. I began travelling, untill I came across Dack in some pub. And that's my story."

20. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Bemon shifted his body slowly. A storm "mage". He always had fun with mages. They always seemed to believe in "mana" and "magic spells" even his old masters had, well all but Gildan.

"I am Bemon, Stormbringer is the name I was given by my people, my enemies knew me as the Demonstorm, now it appears I am the Storm Eagle, and I cannot escape the storm. I am oath brother to Dackian here," he nodded to Dack as he used his oath brothers full first name. "I know something of vengeance, more than something, my life was devoted to it for so long how can I not. I know all there is to know of loss, I've lost my wife, my son, my mother, my father, my masters, many of my friends, my brother" this word he put a nasty emphasis on, "and at one point my sanity, though that I have regained.

"Dack And I have journeyed together many times, I thought he would have settled down by now, but I should have known his wandering spirit would never let him stay anywhere for long."

Bemon shifted his gaze to Kael, "If you wish to learn true magical skills I could teach you much, but there is more than knowledge in my teachings, there is a way of life, a way of thinking you must come to understand before you can master its secrets."

Bemon unwrapped the bundle on his back and laid it on the ground, it was a five foot great sword of exquisite craftsmanship. The blade was long, narrow, thin and a pale grey-blue. There were five symbols carved into the middle of the blade and they were gilded with silver. "This is the Mindbreaker. Never under any cirtumstances touch this sword or you shall slowly lose you life force and one day your soul. It is a cursed blade, my burden many would say, but to me it is a gift, it is how I atone for all I have done. This blade is bound to me, all who touch it become bound to it, and if you do not carry it with you it will kill you. This is only a warning." Bemon looked at Art who could surely see the aura the blade radiated, in fact he thought he saw Art shiver at the sight of the blade. Bemon wrapped his curse up and laid it down beside him.