Heroes Needed...

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Setting down his mug of cider, Lucan glanced back to where the inkeeper had pointed.

"You're sure?" He uttered solemnly

The balding man smiled the way only the corpulent could. "As sure as I can be this soon, Jimmy said some mad elf with wide eyes wrecked up the place good and proper, single handedly apparently. Jimmy likes to exaggerate but he aint a liar. And if you can find a better candidate than that feller over there, then youre welcome to second guess."

Lucan slammed a silver penny down on the bar and turned to walk away.

"One more thing." The barkeep seemed more disconcerted this time. "The place that burned down, not that I miss the competition, but I dont want a repetition of the incident here, youre not with the gang are you?"

Lucan scoweled, it was enough for the fool to back down.

A short walk brought him to the table where the elf sat among friends, they had just finished talking and several had the look of contemplation about them. When Lucan approached they quited down, but he noticed the elf's eyes were fixed on him as soon as he got close.

This one is observant, a good sign.

"Which one of you assaulted the now smouldering establishemt across town?"

Silence. Lucan waited it out.

"Friends of yours?" someone quieried.

"I arrived here as it burned, and I wish to know who is responsible."

2. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    "Now, I figure you all want to know why I've called all of you together here right? Well a while back I had a run in with an air pirate named Silver Max. Just before Max and I parted ways he mentioned that his boss, Daemar Husgath has his eyes set on an old spell book called The Verse of Vorgoth. I'm not sure about the exact details, but according to my contacts in the Temple of Bliss that book is bad news, and so they hired me on to stop Husgath from getting his mitts on it." "The last records of the Verse put it somewhere in the Kuttar Depths, one of the nastiest valleys in the land, with some of the nastiest dungeon diving stories. Add into that that air pirates aren't the friendliest fellers around and this is going to be a reasonably dangerous quest. So now that you all know what you're getting into I'll give you one more chance to back out. You guys in, or are you out?"

Art listened to Dack speak. Air pirates, temples, and spellbooks, nothing Art wasn't used to dealing with. Art thought a moment. The Verse of Vorgoth... where had he heard that name before? Probably that bastard of a mage that gave him the golden orb in place of an eye had muttered about it. Before Art slit his throat. He smirked. Yes, he was definately in, this sounded like a load of fun. He looked around the table. Lora was sitting next to him in a dejected pout, and the Hobbit- Elf, Silluin, across from him, sat with a cold, impassive expression on her face. He hoped they would accept, the more the merrier. Just as Art was about to give Dack his answer, a haggard looking man approached the table, his eyes locked on Dack. Art cocked his head to the side curiously.

"Which one of you assaulted the now smouldering establishemt across town?" the man asked. He didn't look happy.

"Friends of yours?" Art asked with a sarcastic smile.

"I arrived here as it burned, and I wish to know who is responsible." The man's gaze swept the table with an infuriated expression.

Art studied the man with his eye. The golden orb flared up for a moment, then returned to its normal, dull color. Art hoped no one noticed. He detected something about this man. Was it magic? Art couldn't tell. But he had an aura surrounding him that Art didn't like. "Well," Art began. "What exactly makes you think it was us?"

3. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack ignored Art's questioning of the stranger, of everyone here he picked them out directly, there was going to be no hiding from the fact that they'd been involved. Dack gave him the once over, too big to be a mage, the blades on his hips looked pretty flashy, but by the wear on the scabbards, and the look in the guy's eye that didn't mean much. He knew a life of battle, but unlike Dack he didn't seem like he'd revel in combat, but then again looks could only tell you so much.

"It was me, this one, and another of our company who isn't here," said Dack, gesturing toward Art when he mentioned that he hadn't been alone. "Can I ask why you're curious stranger? Because I get the feeling you aren't here to thank us for cleaning up a scum hole."

This guy didn't have the same mark as the gang back at the bar they'd fought in, but he was still a fighter, and he didn't look happy. Dack managed to hide the fact that he'd welcome a fight from the others, but something about this guy's eyes told Dack that he saw this plenty well.

Dack considered the state of things, no doubt this guy would want to fight outside if at all. If he'd just arrived in town he probably didn't have any backup, and he couldn't be certain that Dack's company wouldn't jump in if they got the chance in this crowded of a place. His leg was going to be a liability if they fought, looking this guy over that meant the difference between a draw and losing.

Considering all of this Dack wasn't going to try to push a fight to feel this guy out. Certainly he wouldn't back down from a good old fashion brawl, but he had the idea that that wasn't in his own best interest. So he'd let this guy make the first move, and see how things went from there.

4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Khamul eyes danced in the flames. "Oh bugger...."

It looked like he was late to the party. Laughing half-heartedly, he slipped through the alleyway to the front of the former gang hotspot. Spitting into the flames, he pondered how he should track Dack and the rest, when suddenly, from the corner of his eye he sensed movement. Thinking it was probally just a spark from the fire, he hurried back into the alley. Better be safe than dead. And this paranoia was well-founded, for from the alleyway, he could see the shape of a dark, drap man, standing there, with a scowl on his face. It wasn't Dack...or Art, but... he had no other leads, so he might as well follow the intimidating figure.
    It was the best plan he had. And his wits were slipping away... damn alcohol. Might as well follow.

Gritting his teeth and letting out more of a growl then a sigh, the man turned his back, and Khamul took the advantage to follow through in the shadows. The man seemed oblivious to his presence, which Khamul was thankful for. Hopefully it stayed that way. This one didn't look as friendly as the OTHER group he had followed that night. Who knows? Maybe this guy wanted him to join a party too? Khamul stiffled a laugh without making a sound. A good laugh wasn't worth his life.

Khamul watched as the man's figure entered a small inn. Not this again, Khamul said, swearing on deja-vu.

It was after a conversation with the bartender, that the figure followed the barkeeps finger to a table, where he heard a farmiliar chorus of voices.

Irony.

[yes i know i didn't talk about the halfling, but be aware i still have him XDDDDD]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  5. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin studied the man that had approached him. She listened to the way that he spoke, and even though there was a certain tensity in his town, she wasn't sure if it was against her company or not. She examined his hands, and they conveyed a story of great tragedy.

Thinking about what Dack had told her about what berothak meant, Silluin began to become more and more tired. She was so sick of traveling, fighting, being exhausted... She wondered what Vaden would want her to do with her life.. He'd want her to move on... maybe even find love again if that's what would help her.. She began to feel sick to her stomach with anger and sorrow.

From the looks of it, this stand off could turn into a fight. Silluin had a lot of pent up anger, but she didn't want everyone knowing that she spoke Common, so she spoke to Dack in Uruk.

"Tell our guest that if he would like to fight someone this evening, he can fight me. and if he doesn't want a fight this evening, then to reveal himself or be on his way." She paused as Dack had an amused look on his face, a look she received from Vaden quite a few times. "As for me, I would be me more than willing to fight him, I have emotions I should get rid of some way.. As for my horse, she still needs to be taken to the stables. As for you, I think you should rest."

With all of that being said she stared at the stranger again and waited to see how Dack would respond to her propositions.

6. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    "Tell our guest that if he would like to fight someone this evening, he can fight me. and if he doesn't want a fight this evening, then to reveal himself or be on his way," said Silluin quietly. She paused, then went on "As for me, I would be me more than willing to fight him, I have emotions I should get rid of some way.. As for my horse, she still needs to be taken to the stables. As for you, I think you should rest."

Dack smiled, "Resting would be the smart thing to do, but judging by the way he's looking at me I'd say he's already chosen who he wants to fight. And while I don't doubt you're handy with that sword if there's going to be steel swung this early I'm not going to stand for anyone but me doing it, can't put my team in danger now can I? So we'll just see what he's after and take it from there."

Dack's reason for not letting the others fight if that's what it came to wasn't entirely honest. Dack didn't consider himself much of a leader. He couldn't rouse people very well with eloquent speeches, he couldn't inspire people with legends of his heroism, the only way he knew to inspire any type of respect was through the one craft he'd ever been really good at, fighting. He had to show the others that he was willing to die before putting them in an unknown danger, and while he didn't peg this guy as someone who was out for his blood, he could at least show that he would put himself into the fray before risking their injury.

Add to that the fact that despite his injury, Dack was a pure bred war machine, and there wasn't much hope that he was going to back down. Dack and Vaden had chosen different fighting paths. Vaden had taken the road of the wolf shirt, stealth and secrecy. In one on one combat he was a tough guy to beat, but against a horde he wouldn't be so lucky. Dack on the other hand was a berserker. He wasn't quite as fancy as Vaden, but he could take on more at once, and win or lose, Dack loved the thrill of the fight.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "enough" Lucan announched flatly as the group at the table passed words between eachother in different tongues.

"Many died in the blaze tonight, and many more fell before the fire took them, whoever is responsible must at least be...competent." Lucan eyed the elf silently, guaging him.

with his right hand he reached up and slid one sword from over his shoulder, the fine, well oiled steel slid from the sheath silently, its gilded fuller glittering in the light on the fire.

"Unless arson and destruction of property is a hobby of yours, may I suggest we proceed outside, and we shall see how competent you are."

8. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    "Unless arson and destruction of property is a hobby of yours, may I suggest we proceed outside, and we shall see how competent you are."

As the stranger spoke and pulled out his weapon, Silluin jumped out of her seat. As she did so she pulled out her own weapon, an Elven blade. It made a loud noise as it was unsheathed, and the attention of the pub turned to the two. Silluin didn't even have to think about the actions she had just done, they were instinct.

The stranger smirked. Big mistake.

"The only person you'll be fighting tonight is me. And speaking of competence, maybe you should discover a little bit more about the previous pub that went down in flames and it's characters before you become a vigilante. I was not involved in that event, but I will defend my company."

The stranger stood up tall, looking her in the eye and trying to intimidate her.

"Unless you want to be embarrassed by having your ass kicked by a women half-elf, I suggest you sheath your weapon and discuss what is currently happening a little more peacefully. I have fought many a foe more fierce than you, and I wouldn't mind adding another notch to my belt."

Silluin had blown her cover. Everyone now knew that she spoke common, was a half elf, and ready to fight. She didn't care anymore though. She wasn't about to be looked down upon by Dack, thinking that she was unable to fight just as well as him, let alone some stranger.

9. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack stared wide eyed at Silluin as she drew her blade and fiercely announced her intention to be the one that the stranger fought. Everyone in the pub was staring, not a single conversation was still going. They could all smell that there might be blood in the air, this was by no means how Dack wanted to start any quests. He'd already rushed headlong into a fight with an entire pub, he wasn't looking forward to having to deal with that here.

He stood, carefully taking his place between Silluin and the stranger, "Sorry everyone, we're rehearsing for a play next week and these two are taking it very very seriously."

Anyone who'd seen them come in knew this was a downright lie, but this late at night there was enough alcohol in most of their systems that they wouldn't care much either way. "First off, I think it's in everyone's best interest that you know exactly what happened at that pub friend," Dack said to the stranger in a low tone. "Yeah I went rushing in and started a fight, but I wasn't the one who torched the place. The lot that ran the place figured that would be the best way to take me out. As for stepping outside, I think that's a good idea."

Dack didn't like having to be the level headed one, but it came with being a leader, and unfortunately Dack had put himself in that situation. He led them, his group and the stranger, through the throng of people, careful not to bother anyone. He wondered in the back of his mind if the stranger and Silluin had put their swords away, it didn't really matter, because he had a feeling that they'd be back out soon anyway, but he at least hoped that they had.

They reached the street, Dack only now realized how strong the scent of burning wood was on the air. Dack had a chuckle about this as his party and the stranger took their spots on pre-imagined battle lines. Silluin had fire in her eyes that Dack had only ever seen in the eyes of orcs during his early raiding days, she really wanted a fight. The question was did Dack really want to put anyone else in that spot? No...

He stood between the two sides, his eyes fixed on the stranger. "I think it's been made clear that my party isn't afraid of a fight, but despite what they all might want the only person I'm going to allow to fight this early on will be me," Dack said, moving his wounded leg behind his good one. He knew Silluin was going to be upset at not getting to fight, but right now this was the decision he needed to make.

This guy was only interested in fighting Dack, he'd made that much clear when he'd focused on the pale elf in the pub. Dack couldn't have him thinking that he was afraid to brawl, or worse, that he would hide behind the others when the chips were down. So Dack shot a look back to the others, more specifically Silluin. "You'll get a chance to trade steel with people soon enough, but right now I need you all to stay back. This guy has a reason for wanting something like this, and I don't need him thinking my company has to fight my battles for me," he said, then turned back. "If it's a fight you're looking for I'll be glad to accept, but I'd like to know the conditions before we start."

10. The First Wizard

The First Wizard Im more known as Tidus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "You'll get a chance to trade steel with people soon enough, but right now I need you all to stay back. This guy has a reason for wanting something like this, and I don't need him thinking my company has to fight my battles for me," he said, then turned back. "If it's a fight you're looking for I'll be glad to accept, but I'd like to know the conditions before we start."

This group of travelers didnt seem to notice the stranger listening in on thier conversation from a surrounding rooftop, but of course he was trained to be unnoticable when need be.

The injured one seemed wearisome for a fight yet he stood unwilling to back down and allow the halfelf fight this stranger.
    Quite chivalrous in my book yet he had a strange look about him.. what was it?

11. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Khamul decided that it was in his best interest to stay hidden for now. Dack and the man should settle this one on their own. It was no matter of his.

Slipping out the side door, he circled around the pub, to watch the potential fight from a distance. What business this man had with Dack, Khamul was uncertain. It would be pretty obvious to guess that he was a part of the Broken Star gang, and wanted revenge upon them. But Then why didn't he just attack the group as a whole? There might be something more sinister behind this, but Khamul was still uncertain. This was turning out to be a very odd begining.

By now the halfling had riled down, and had actually taken to standing at Khamul's side. Khamul guessed he was just tired of fighting. He just hoped that the hobbit wasn't trying to pull another fast one on him. He tried to keep half of his attention on the theif, but it was hard to keep his notice over the halfling, while you never new when someone would make the first strike.

Dack stayed calm, while the other man seemed to be more agressive. Figures... it was that calm facade of Dack that always drove him over the edge.

He watched intently and waited for something more to break out between the two adversaries.

12. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    (Hey again! Was away for christmas holidays, but I'm back now:) )

Lora found a better position in her chair, and turned a bit to watch out through the filthy, little window, being able to watch the fight through it.
    She had considered ending the stranger's life when he had approached, and she had her knives ready inside her sleeves, to hurl them at him. But she hadn't.
    She had sensed a fight coming up, and didn' want to spoil it in such an anticlimax...
    Besides, it wouldnot be very honourable. Not that she cared, but someone in the group certainly did, and she didn't want to risk getting enemies whithin the group. For several reasons.
    So, while everyone else walked out, she remained. She was a member of the group, but they had to accept she did things her own ways.
    She reached for her mug of ale. Cheers to her.

She didn't know why she was with this party, she thought as she watched the fighters prepare.
    By the door a bunch of eager peasants had crowded to watch the fight.
    It was not that she needed their company very much, she would probably survive on her own.
    More peasants crowded together, nearly pushing those who stood first out into the street.It was neither the thrill of the adventure, the dangers lying ahead, evil magery and old, rotten books- she could do without all that.
    The bartender stretched his neck as far as he could over the counter, absentmindedly cleaning a glass with a dirty handkerchief, trying to see how the fight was proceeding.
    But she had nothing else, and certainly nothing better to do.
    She emptied her mug, and reached for the one Dack had abandoned.
    In any case she needed to move constantly, away from her followers. She hoped they had lost her track, but she could not be sure. The scar on her side was cold. She would have her revenge one day. But not yet, She needed to grow stronger before she could take on him. And this group, she realised, could provide training, movement and a certain amount of safety. She might even enjoy it. So she stayed with them. At least for now. She couldn't promise to stay forever, but she felt she... owed them, in a strange way, to accompany them at least till they found those evil mages and the book and everything.

She was already starting on Khamul's ale. Would that fight ever start?

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "conditions?" Lucan muttered under his breath as he strode back and forth down the street slowly.

alsmost absentmindedly he dropped the sword he was holding, letting it land point down. Even on the hard packed earth of this town's main road the razor sharp blade buried itself in enough to stand alone.

Lucan paused to put down his posetions and unlace his ragged cloak, the torn piece of brown cloth was so dull and faded it almost camoflagued with the earth, ravaged so it barely reached his waist, but it was enough for this old fool. He dropped the cloth with the rest of his things and his second sword by the side of the inn and took up the sword he had left standing.

"I have no conditions, you may fight however wish". He gave the sword one spin to measure the balance on the blade and the strength of his grip. The sword once more becoming part of him, not merely and extention of his arm, but an extention of his very will.

Two deep breaths and he reached the Chata, the mist, the state of mind taught by the old masters of the Chatrakan art of combat. Each object in the world of view became an island in the misty lake, they would fade in and out of view as he moved, but always he would have the mapped, from the pebbles of the earth to the stranger sitting on the rooftop, all was one.

Lucan held his blade forward in the middle guard, taking the form of the ram, defensive and poised at the same time. eyes fixated on his opponent, face a mask of stone.
    "Whenever you are ready elf"

14. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack nodded and smiled, "A good old fashioned street fight eh? Excellent..."

The stranger took a stance, so technically perfect it made Dack feel a bit uneasy, this fight was going to be short, tough, and probably not end in his favor. But then again Dack had figured as much from the start given his leg. He wasn't going to be able to go into a full on battle frenzy, from what he could tell this guy wasn't out to kill him, so letting himself bleed out if the wound reopened wasn't a keen idea.

Dack drew his sword and took his own stance, heavy on his good leg, keeping the bad one still hidden from sight. Despite his attempt to his his injury something in the dull stare of the stranger told Dack he knew it was there all too well. Dack cracked his neck, he had to make this good, and fast, so that he and the others could get going and the stranger could go hunting for someone new to go challenge.

"Whenever you are ready elf" said the stranger.

Dack smirked and ran forward, no need for subtlety here. The stranger easily parried Dack's clumsy attempt at a stab and stepped back to guard any further attacks. Dack didn't bother trying to swing his sword again. Instead he forced their blades to maintain contact so that he could keep his opponent's sword at bay long enough to ram his knee hard into the stomach of the human.

Dack suppressed a wince even though in his doubled over state the other man couldn't see it. The stranger broke away with a wicked swirl of his blade, opening a small cut on Dack's shoulder. The elf paid no attention to the tiny wound, focusing instead on the man who could certainly have done more damage than that if Dack hadn't stumbled as he broke.

The two clashed again, this time the human managed to evade the leg strike Dack attempted, but he soon found his hands locked up among Dack's as the elf flung his forehead forward. The human reacted in kind, causing mutual damage and very little gain for both warriors. Dack recovered first and swung high, the stranger saw through the arc and easily misdirected it, then slammed the pommel of his sword into Dack's chest, knocking the elf back.

Dack went down, his leg was acting up, he only hoped the human figured he'd over swung and hurt the elf more with that blow than he though. Dack knew that the human was aware of his wound, but he refused to accept it. The man strode forth with purpose, his blade poised to kill as Dack's hand closed on a soft patch of earth. As the human stepped forward Dack threw the fist full of dirt at his enemy, but the human's arm blocked it, like he saw the trick coming, he'd seen Dack's hand move.

Dack wasn't about to make this for nothing, he rolled past the strike the human threw his way, and slammed the back side of his blade against the man's achillies tendon, causing him to stagger as Dack got to his feet, then stepped forward and rammed his shoulder hard into the human's back, causing him to run headlong into the side of the pub. Spectators scattered as the human quickly recovered and grabbed Dack by the back of the head and slammed him headfirst into the pub, then stepped back, not bothering to make a strike.

"So that's your game eh?" said Dack as he shook off the pain and turned to the stranger who didn't seem to hear him. "You want to see what I'm made of? Well then, excuse me for being so boring!" Dack lunged at the human, keeping his blade steady to misdirect the guarding strike from the human, he was only going to get one shot at this.

As their blades touched Dack forced the human's sword to the side. As Dack landed he dropped his sword, then grasped the human's hands in a steely grip, Dack slammed his head hard into the cheek of the human, causing his head to snap back. Dack tried in vain to free the sword from the human's grasp, but after a precious second passed Dack decided on a new plan.

With the last amount of stability in his legs he twisted his hips and forced the human over his shoulder, flinging the man hard onto his back. Dack quickly forced his bad leg up, using his good one for support, then flung the bad leg down toward the face of the man. The human rolled quickly aside, then got to his feet and slapped the flat of his blade against Dack's leg. Dack suppressed a growl of pain, but this gave the human enough time to kick his feet out from under him, bringing Dack to the ground, then placed his blade lightly along Dack's neck.

Dack held his hands up, showing that he accepted defeat, then smiled and spoke with a chuckle in his voice, "Well, you got me this time. So, exactly what did you win besides bragging rights?"

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    It was over quickly, a normal fight, leaving Lucan disappointed.

"Well, you got me this time. So, exactly what did you win besides bragging rights?"

Win? He thought to himself, I lost again.

"nothing" he said solemnly collecting his things from beside the road, sheathing his blade with its partner and donning his ragged cloak once more. "I simply wanted to see you fight"

The crown that had gathered at the entrance of the pub began to disperse, some going home, others returning to their meagre evening of poor ale and stories of the dull lives there were fighters about, but none who seemed as competent as his chosen opponent.

Lucan looked at the sky, and wondered how far off the dawn was. The cool air suddenly bringing back a memory of the past; Fenestreathe. A name lost. All at once bringing sadness and joy into his heart, sadness withut remose, joy grown bitter over time.

His face was still solemn, converying no emotion. You pathetic old fool. his mind spoke to him. Why do you bother? accept your fate, your punishment. Should he spend each day alone and miserable as now, it would never be enough to satisfy his own self-loathing heart. Honour had been how he lived for as long as he remebered, and nothing was as melancholy as what that life has become, held prisoner by duty to the dead, a self imposed punishment.

Pathetic.

Lucan shurgged, as it if would drop his burdens, trying to snap back into the real world. He looked and saw the elf and his group gathering, and ventured a faint hope.

"You look like at least a few of you are well travelled." He offered. "Tell me, do any of you know a great swordsman, I'm looking for someone exceptional you see..."

The years has turned Lucans hopes into as bitter a prospect as his honour, his dreams and his past, he was beyond hoping for what he needed.

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    "Hell if you wanted a great dueler instead of a wounded pitbull all you had to do was ask," said Dack as he picked himself up. "On a different battlefield, under different circumstances I could have taken you, but today you were just the better man, but I know a man who's never been able to say he met his match."

Dack kicked his wounded leg, wincing slightly, then shook it off, he sheathed his blade and cracked his neck again, then looked to the sky like he was trying to find his bearings. "I think, it's that way," he said pointing off into the east. "He's a very ancient elf, and he lives alone in a forest in an old shack. His name is Avenger, and I don't know of a single time that he's ever been beaten. Against someone like him a guy like you could really cut loose, you'd have to if you'd want him to go all out. Anyway, if all you wanted was a fight then sorry to disappoint you, been having an off day. Come back and find me some other time, maybe then I'll be able to give you whatever it is you're looking for."

Dack didn't bother to wait for a response from the human. Instead he turned and walked back into the bar. His step was slower now, he was being careful not to show his limp, and failing at that. He was hurt bad at this point, but he'd bounce back. They had at least one healer, or at least he hoped so, otherwise this would be a damn long trip. As he entered the bar people stared and whispered, Dack paid them no notice, taking his seat and looking with a disappointed glare at the empty mug that welcomed him.

"Barkeep, another round here!" he shouted as the others slowly filed in after him, all looking more disappointed by his loss than he was.

17. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin watched the fight. She wasn't really impressed by either of the fighters. She knew that Dack was injured, so she gave him more leeway. The other though, he had ulterior motives. The fight was over quickly, and she was thankful for that.

"You look like at least a few of you are well travelled." He offered. "Tell me, do any of you know a great swordsman, I'm looking for someone exceptional you see..."

Silluin rolled her eyes. Men. So stupid... always fighting, never being openly honest. How ridiculous.

It was clear to her that Dack was disappointed with himself as they walked back into the bar. She leaned close to him and whispered in Uruk "It doesn't matter to me that you lost. It only matters that you tried, especially with your wound.. and with intentions like his, there was no winning or losing for either of you." In earlier times she would have smiled, but instead she just nodded her head, and looked away from him.

Silluin let the others sit, and then she said to them in common. "I'm not sorry for keeping my skill at languages with you. I will return, but for now I have to see that my horse is tended to. Don't wander after me."

Walking out back, Silluin saw Telfaë waiting patiently to be put in the stable. "Sorry about that friend..." She said in Quenya. She hugged Telfaë around the neck, and began to cry silently. Still crying, she put Telfaë away, and walked toward a small pond. It was cold outside, but she took her cloak off and sat with it under her on the ground anyway, and watched the moon and stars dance on the water. She punched the hard ground. The tears kept coming... Silluin put her head on her knees, and crossed her arms... she was shaking because of the cold, and because of her tears. Infinitely alone, she never wanted to move again.

18. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lora happily accepted a new round of ale. She took a mug, and started to drink. Lightly.
    She'd had almost enough, and she knew she couldn't drink much more in one evening.
    So, their great partyleader had lost. As she watched the stranger who had won collect his stuff, she silently wondered how that would affect morale.
    Off course, he had been weakened, and he had fought well for just having been unconscious, and having that bad leg.
    Oh, yes, there were many valid excuses.
    But no matter how long they kept telling themselves that, he had lost. And now matter how he had lost, he had still lost.
    She looked at the disappointed faces around her, trying to convince themselves that the loss did not matter, by telling him it did not.
    She would not try to fool him, or herself. To her it didn't matter much anyway. She didn't feel very like a part of the party. Perhaps she was not. At least she was unsure if the others accepted her as one of them.
    Well, she thought and sat down her mug, still half-full. Perhaps he needed to be cheered up a bit. He seemed to be the one least touched by the whole affair, but she wasn't sure if he really was as untouched as he pretended.
    She put her hand on top of his, and smiled.
    "You better win the next one," she whispered and winked.
    She grinned, and removed her hand.
    She didn't know if she helped, she was bad at cheering up people. Usually she did more bad than good...
    She gripped her mug again, and rose it in a toast.

"For failure," she joked half-heartedly.
    When no one replied, she shrugged and emptied her mug. At least she had tried.

19. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack returned Silluin's nod, to the back of her head as she turned away. She was hiding something, what he didn't know, but it didn't matter much. She'd already said she was going to accompany him, and if it mattered she'd tell him sometime along the way. Soon after that she excused herself to go stable her horse. Horses, now there was something Dack had never been able to handle. Something about them always made him choke. End of the world? Call Dack, but if a horse is loose, you'd better call someone else.

Dack watched her leave, but soon after that his mind wandered back to the duel he'd just gotten done losing. He'd blamed his leg, but that wasn't what the problem had been. Dack was having trouble admitting to himself that the human had just been a better dueler than him. Dack wasn't much of a proper duelist, but he could hold his own in a one on one fight. But when people insisted on fighting the proper way, Dack just fell apart.

It didn't matter, from what he could tell the human was searching for someone that could defeat him, so that he could die with some kind of peace. Dack would never understand that mindset, and even if he'd won he wouldn't have let himself be the one to write the final page in that book. Dack hated when people got so good that they just couldn't stand it anymore, especially when they were human. When your life is over in a few decades you should cherish every second.

Dack pushed the thought aside, it wasn't his business why the human had seemed so disappointed. What he had to deal with now was the disappointment of his team mates. Another thing he hated about being the leader, you were always supposed to be invincible. Thinking back on all the times that he'd had to get himself and the gang out of sticky situations that they were all responsible for getting into, he figured if they couldn't handle a leader who wasn't a demigod they should get out now.

Before he could think of some rousing speech Lora leaned in and smiled, "You better win the next one," she whispered and winked. She tried to lighten the mood with a toast, but no one seemed interested in smiling. That bothered Dack, not much at first, but very quickly he became enraged by how glum everyone was acting. Before he could bring himself to stop he was shooting his mouth off.

"Oh come on! You're going to let some damn street fight scare the lot of ya? Yeah, I lost, I lost bad. I could keep blaming my leg sure, but at the end of the day that's a lie. I didn't lose because of my leg, I lost that fight as soon as that guy came over and challenged me, because I could tell right then and there that he was a more technical guy, and when I can't goad a technical guy to fight my way I lose, it happens. So the better fighter won. Well I'll be damned like that never happens! If you can't follow someone who will lose from time to time go join a temple, revel in the stories of the invincible knights of who cares when! But if you want to go out and try to make a difference, and make some change then stick around! I may not be a duelist, but I've been fighting my whole life through and I ain't dead yet, and I've never lost an ally, so I think my track record is pretty fine. Now, if you guys want to keep moping because you ain't following with a force of nature then get lost now, find someone else to follow because I'm not having any of that, especially this early on. If you can get over it though stick with me, help me with my job then once it's finished I'll stick by you past the gates of hell and back to do whatever you need done. So are you going to be able to get over it? Or am I going to have to pray that someone that can happens into me while I'm on my way?"

Yeah, Dack was a hot head. He'd lost his temper and started yelling. The entire bar was looking at him now, but with a single glance he turned all the heads in the place back to their own business. He looked back at the table now, awaiting in their shocked silence for someone to speak up and tell him if they were still with him or not.

Outside Silluin couldn't hear Dack's voice. She couldn't hear the shouts and the frustration he was feeling. She couldn't see that he'd forgotten all about the pain in his leg and stood up to make his words hold more meaning. She couldn't see any of the others. She was alone outside, or so she thought. But the living were not the only ones with an interest in this group. At least one spirit was keeping his eye on them.

"What's this? I could have sworn you said you weren't going to cry anymore," came a voice that Silluin knew that forced her to look up.

Vaden didn't look like she'd remembered him. When she had known him he had been a whithered shell of what he once was. His hair had been long and dirty, and he'd looked like he was constantly sick. The figure before her was Vaden as he'd once been. He was strongly built, still not as bulky as Dack, but healthy nonetheless. His hair was chopped short to the point where he was nearly bald, but one thing hadn't changed. His eyes were still the same. So strangely colored, and filled with so much regret.

"What's a matter?" he asked, his lips turning to a smile. "You look like you've seen a ghost. I told you I'd try to keep an eye on you from the other side, that's turned out to be much easier than I thought. The problem is, this will be the honest and truly last time you will see me before your time. That said I need to tell you a why I sent you to find Dack. He and I are very different, but our blood is the same. I sent you to him because I know he will be more able to defend you than anyone else, and it's my hope that he might be able to help you accomplish those tasks that I left before I could help you see through. There's more to him than even your trained eyes could see, and through him you may grow to know me better than you got a chance to while we were together. I am sorry my dear, but now I must leave you again. Someday we will have an eternity to spend together, but I don't want you to go rushing to make that day come any sooner, there is still much that you need to do. Remember my berothak, you are never alone, for so long as you walk this earth, my spirit will always be right beside you, farewell, for now." Vaden's spirit leaned forward and quickly placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, then, as suddenly as he had appeared, he vanished once again.

20. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin stared into the water. She couldn't believe what she had just seen... who she had just seen. Clouds where rolling in... everything had happened so fast. She thought about living... and life... and death... and then she remembered what she had heard Dack yelling from inside...

It was her choice: Live for Vaden, or die for herself. One thing this Hobbit-Elf wasn't was selfish... so she got up and ran inside.

"I'm still with you." She said, almost yelling. Everyone stared at her, but she didn't care. She was clearly out of breath, she had sprinted inside. "I don't care if you lose every battle you engage in from this point on. Your brother... he did something for me that I can't explain in any language... So the least I can do for him is stick by your side, and help you to accomplish whatever you need to be done. The less that want to join, well, the less traitors we have to worry about." She took a breath and looked at their company. "But I will stick with you until I die." With that, Silluin remained standing, looking into Dack's eyes, not paying any attention to anyone else in the room.