herocruxes *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Books' started by vanaques, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Ringquelle

Ringquelle Graveyard Faerie

On the South Pole, importing chickens and building
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Just a random thought: In COS Tom Riddle takes energy from Ginny and he posseses her. What about leaving something behind in her? She would make a perfect Horcrux: Dumbledore wouldn't kill a young innocent girl, and her parents wouldn't allow it. And how about Harry? It would be horrible for him to kill Ginny,

2. Lews Therin Telamon

Lews Therin Telamon The Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But Ginny hasn't shown any signs of possession (aside from the Diary's influence), and I think the only living creature Voldemort would trust would be Nagini... After all, it is his faithful pet and servant, and maybe even the fact that it is a horcruxe is the only reason he can control it... Whatever...

Anyway, as for Harry being a Horcrux, I sincerely doubt it. I mean, sure, it's a viable theory, but I simply don't think it is one that will turn out to be true; too many holes. For one thing, one would think that, by the time he had tried to kill Harry, he had already made all his Horcruxes. After all, he spent years doing various things to try and extend his life and prevent his own death, and I don't think he would have started the war until he was completely protected, i.e. six horcruxes already made. So it wouldn't make sense to make another, because his soul was already housed in seven places, he didn't need or want eight.

As for the whole order in which things have to be done, Harry could, before destroying the other Horcruxes, go after Voldemort and kill him. So long as Harry destroyed the other horcruxes before Voldemort could somehow rise yet again, Voldemort would be killed. The only reason his wouldn't be a practical course is because Harry might kill him, and while going after the other Horcruxes, Voldemort might already have had a set plan on reviving himself and come back to life before Harry finished, meaning Harry would have had to kill Voldemort yet again, and that would be plain annoying, not to mention the fact that it would raise a whole other set of difficulties. (maybe kill is the wrong word here... but you know what I mean, i.e. destroying Voldemort's body).

The only reason I'm saying this is because someone mentioned Nagini would have to be killed first, but so long as Nagini was present, killing Voldemort then the snake would work just as well, so long as they aren't killed very long apart.

3. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Seven horcruxes would indeed make sense, if the number of them had some sort of magical influence on his power. Didn't Voldemort ask Prof. Slughorn when he was still in school if seven horcruxes would be more powerful than another number? And this might be sheer stupidity on my part, since I haven't read the books in awhile, but didn't Dumbledore say that Voldemort couldn't kill Harry because of his mother's love? It seems unlikely that Lily Potter would be the only victim of Voldemort dying to save the ones she loved. Like I said, probably a dumb observation, since Rowling wouldn't have such an obvious hole in the story, but could someone refresh my memory? :)

4. Ringquelle

Ringquelle Graveyard Faerie

On the South Pole, importing chickens and building
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Well, I think the only one who was actually offered a choice was Lily. Which leads to the question: Why?. I have adressed this in another topic too.....

5. BaD_BoY

BaD_BoY New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i think it's ravenclaw....cuz we know only forr Griffindor sword?
    and Dumbledor sad: Only a true Griffindor can pull it from the sorting hat... ?

6. Caelin

Caelin Elf Ranger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was convinced by one of my friends hat the Horcrux is actually in Black's house. He gave me a good proof of it. Too bad; I forgot the proof, where in the Order it's written, but I remember the proof was pretty good.

7. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    There was a horcrux in the Black house. It was described as a 'heavy locket that none of them could open', which lends credibility to the "sirius' brother was RAB" theory.

Harry as a horcrux makes perfect sense. There is no reason that Voldemort wouldn't want to kill Harry, just because he's a horcrux; remember the disregard he showed for the diary's safety. Voldemort believes that Harry is the only one who can defeat him. Therefore, when Harry is dead, he thinks he has no need for horcruxes. Besides, he has others.

Voldemort is arrogant, but not stupid. He would have had the prophecy in mind when he went to murder Harry as an infant, and probably would've seen him as a threat anyway. The logical thing to do is create a safeguard against failure. By making Harry a horcrux, Voldemort would conclude that as long as Harry lives, he himself will survive. As he believes that only Harry can kill him, this would make him close to undefeatable (unless he's dumb enough to get into positions where Harry can try for murder-suicide and other such improbable things). in his mind, if he succeeds in killing Harry, he's undefeatable. If Harry lives, Voldemort's undefeatable.

Personally, I think Harry will destroy the other horcruxes, then use the power of love to expel Voldemort's remnant of soul when Voldemort tries to possess him. Harry dying to save the world would be much cooler, but Rowling's been forshadowing the "power of love" thing throughout the entire series.

8. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    But, he didn't disreagard the diary at all. In book 6, Dumbledore says how enraged Voldy was, that Lucius Malfoy would just give it to some child, and that it got destroyed. I think he says something about Lucius being punished harshly over it.

Your Harry as a horcrux makes sense, but not completely. Voldy didn't know the entire prophecy. He doesn't know the part about him marking Harry as an equal and all that. He went to Godric's Hallow, just to kill Harry. He had no reason what so ever, to think he'd fail, the killing curse is unblockable. Why would he put part of his soul in Harry, when he thinks he's going to kill him, without fail?

9. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    about the whole animal/human horcrux thing, voldemort would have to be pretty daft to make a living thing a horcrux. if it were me id be very careful were id put a part of soul. i dunno, but for me the possibility of a living horcrux is completly out of the question.

10. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    From the prophecy, Voldemort thinks that Harry is the only on who can defeat him. therefore, it makes sense to make harry a horcrux. If Voldemort succeeded in killing Harry, he'd lose part of his soul, but he'd be invincible (according to his own logic), so it's a small price to pay, especially since he has others. If he doesn't succeed, Harry still can't destroy him, because as long as harry survives Voldemort has a horcrux.

11. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    no i completely disagree. why make him a horcrux in the first place, then kill him??? why not just kill him without making him a horcrux, hed be invincible with more horcruxes left... i cant see the "logic". plus it seemed pretty clear that voldemort did not expect harry to survive, so why make provisions.

12. Caelin

Caelin Elf Ranger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And once Voldemort is dead, how can he ever get Harry the Horcrux? And when did he make Harry a Horcrux? I also don't think Rowling would make it that easy.

13. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    damn right. he never made harry a horcrux, its not even a valid question.

14. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    He may not expect Harry to survive, but he probably thought to make provisions, anyway. You don't get to be a fearsome overlord by being incautious.

15. Caelin

Caelin Elf Ranger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Putting a part of your life on risk is more than being incautious: it's damnright stupid. Because that's the case: he 'gives' harry a part of his life. Ao, a part of his life dies with harry.

16. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Has Voldemort ever shown any concern for his own soul apart from the provision against death that the horcruxes provide? The mere fact that he was willing to tear it in so many pieces suggests that he doesn't appreciate it.

Don't forget that via the scar, Harry can read some of Voldemort's emotions and get visions of what he is doing; he even apparently has some of his abilities. does that sound like the result of a botched killing curse? No. Why would a killing curse transfer anything from the sender? It sound to me like a strong bond between the two that transfers part of his nature, an effect that can be expected if you try to put a bit of your soul in someone else.

Why isn't it a valid question, Warlock? What is the logic behind the view that it can't happen?

17. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Re: horcruxes *spoilers*

See, after book 5, I've seen that as part of the whole "marking him as an equal" thing. And, it could easily be a side effect of the non-killing killing curse. He's the only one who's survived, so there's no one at all to compare the side effects too. Or, it could be a result of Harry's mom's love saving him. Since the whole "love's the greatest power theme".

There's lot of things that could explain that. And no good reason why Voldy would ever think he'd need to back his lives up over the killing of a defenceless infant. We've seen that he's overly confident in his abilties, and there has NEVER been a survivor of the killing curse. He'd never in a million years think that a infant would be the one to break that. Plus, why would he need to put a part of his soul in Harry, even as insurance, when Harry's parents are both dead, and baby Harry's sitting right in front of him, with no one to defend him? Why make him a horcrux, just to kill him seconds later?

And, he has no problem ripping his soul apart, but he does value it. They are the only things that stand between him and death, keeping him "immortal". That's proven by his rage when he discovers what Lucius did with the diary, and the fact that it's destroyed.

18. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    so very true...