herocruxes *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Books' started by vanaques, Jul 21, 2005.

1. vanaques

vanaques New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I remember dumbledore saying the sword that harry pulled out of the sorting hat was gyfindors last heirloom, but the sorting hat itself is (or was) grifindors.

could that be the last horcrux seeing as tom was close to it? and it would make sence becaus noone would want to destroy it or even suspect it at all of being a horcrux.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

:monkeydan

2. TheRhino

TheRhino New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seeing as you have to trap a piece of your soul in it, I am assuming that you would most likely have to comit the murder and cast the spell to trap the piece of your soul in a timely manner. Based on this assumption I doubt the hat is a horcrux. Also I have trouble seeing an item that has such frequent contact with the students as giving good advice it does about sticking together and not manifesting itself in some evil way, such as was the case of Tom Riddle's Diary. I'm not sure by what you mean as close to the hat, but I do not believe this to be likely.

6 - Horcruxes.

Destroyed 1- Slytherin's Ring 2- Tom Riddle's Diary
    Highly Probable 3-Slytherin's Locket (destroyed??), 4-Hufflepuff Cup, 5- Nagini
    Suggested Ravenclaw or Gryffindor object?? There is also the possibility that, unable
    to obtain one of these objects Voldemort used something else. Possibilities
    include him seeking the objects he had stolen while at the orphanage.

3. Miarènne

Miarènne Lady Evenstar,half-elven

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the sorting hat is a horcrux. As THERHINO has said, the sorting hat

"has such frequent contact with the students as giving good advice it does about sticking together and not manifesting itself in some evil way, such as was the case of Tom Riddle's Diary"

In any case, i don't see how Voldemort could have gotten the hat to use it as a horclux. it does after all, stay in the head master's ofice until it is needed at the start of a new school year.

Again using what TheRhino has already mentioned:
    there are six horcruxes.
    Slytherin's ring was destroyed by Dumbledore himself, and harry took care of the Diary in his second year.
    Voldemort almost certainly used the Hufflepuff cup. The fifth horcrux might be Nagini, though Dumbledore tells Harry that normally, puting a piece of your soul into a living being, such as Voldemort's giant snake, was a great risk.

And, yes, if Voldemort had been unable to attain one of Ravenclaw's or Griffindor's object's he might have used some other trophy he had claimed. Either objects he had stolen at the orphanage, or other 'trophies' from his murders.

4. WarriorDrgnMage

WarriorDrgnMage Kuro Ryuu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to point out that although the hatt is needed at the begining of the school year, is it possible that Riddle could go in a borrow the hat for a couple of hours then bring it back. Th said I don't think the Sorting hat would let Riddle do that, remember the Hat is a powerful magical object in it's own right.

5. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SPOILERS? Oh yeah...
    But the thread title told you that. Right?

The theory has been suggested in a couple of threads here at TFF and elsewhere that the last Horcrux is Harry himself.

Although I first dismissed it as nonsense, the more I think about it, the more I think Harry may in fact be a horcrux - sorta.

Initially, the comment from Dumbledore that it wasn't wise to make a living thing your horcrux is what put me off. It would be like being possessed or partially so and Harry showed no real signs of that. Also, it seemed wrong for the Dark Lord to put part of his soul in something he was going to kill. Seems like a waste of a horcrux (and a part of his soul).

But, what if Harry himself is not the horcrux? What if his scar is?

Consider:
    - The killing curse leaves no visible marks, but Harry comes away with a scar...why?
    - The scar, not Harry, responds to Voldemort. The scar burned and hurt when Voldemort is active
    - The scar is close enough to Harry (and his head) to account for the ability of Harry to see into Voldemort's thoughts (and vice versa) as we saw in GoF.
    - A scar is dead tissue, so it gets around the issue of putting the horcrux in a living being. It also means that killing Harry doesn't destroy the horcrux.
    - The Dark Lord likes his horcruxes to be trophies. What greater trophy than the skull of the child that was foretold to be his demise.
    - Also, Lily is given the chance to live by Voldemort and she refuses. This is odd and very unlike the Dark Lord. Was the Dark Lord "interested" in Lily and spurned? Was her option to live a "join me as my bride" type of offer? If so, all the more reason Harry (or his body anyway) would make a good horcrux/trophy.
    - Oddly enough, it would also be an artifact of Gryffindor (It was Harry's house and the fact that he was able to call for the sword of Gryffindor in CoS suggests a strong connection to the house founder)
    - JKR has said the last word of book 7 is "scar" and in other interviews has said the most important thing about the scar was not it's shape.
    - We know Voldemort had just killed Lily, so his soul would have just been split again - ready to placed into a new horcrux. Without knowing the detail of the horcrux ritual/spell, it is at least possible that Voldermort marked Harry with the scar (and his horcrux) and then attempted to kill him.
    - It might also explain why the sorting hat thought about putting Harry in Slytherin. Perhaps the hat was picking up on Voldermort's influence from the scar.

I'm not totally convinced yet, but it seems to fit.

So my fellow Potter fans....what am I missing?

6. Aemon Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You make a good case, I didn't even think of Harry being a horcux. I'd say it is likely that that might be the case. But then again, it might be reading to much into it. I really don't like speculating this kind of thing knowing the answers won't come for at least another year or two!

7. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I suppose Harry could be a horcruxe; I actually thought of that while I was reading. But if that's true, why did Voldemort try to kill him in book 4?

8. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is exactly the reason why I don't think Harry is a horcrux. It just doesn't fit that you'd put part of your soul into a creature you desparately want to kill. Still, I think there are some options (see my earlier post in this thread for one idea I've been toying with) and I'd be surprised if the remaining horcruxes are all as cut-and-dried as they seem to be at the end of HBP. That's what keeps me wondering...I don't think the list Dumbledore gave to Harry is going to turn out to be totally acurate.

9. Ringquelle

Ringquelle Graveyard Faerie

On the South Pole, importing chickens and building
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps he doesn't know. That would mean that there are seven horcruxes instead of six...... But perhaps Voldemort has figured it out.

And the reason why Voldemort would want to kill Harry would be because doesn't think that Harry's scar would be a suitable Horcux. Another reason might be because there is some way to influence people through their horcruxes.

10. Alchemy

Alchemy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think the "harry is a horcrux" theory makes sense but somehow it doesn´t look like J.K. Rowling´s style. It´s just too obvious.

If harry (or the scar) is indeed a horcrux i think voldemort couldn´t have done it intentionally, maybe it was an accident.

11. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Great, now we have Alchemy....I call name thief...lol

12. Ringquelle

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Which would mean that, to ensure Voldemort never comes back, Harry would have to be killed in the end too.

13. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    But didn't Voldy use the killing curse on Harry? Avada Kadavra, that's how he got the name, the boy who lived, he was the only one who survived it. Doesn't Voldy even say that he used it, and that he had no clue that Harry would not die until after it happened in book 4? And in Harry's dreams and flashbacks, it has the distinctive green light when it happens.

Just a few random thoughts. I'll look it up in book 4 later. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  14. Fairygirl

Fairygirl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Voldemort did use the Avada Kadarva curse on Harry.

15. Freya

Freya New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A bit random, but...

Someone's theory is that Dumbledore, or something of his, was a horcrux, because Voldemort would've thought that he couldn't be destroyed. It has some major holes in it, but it's a theory.

16. Ringquelle

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yup.....

It could also be that not only the diary was a horcux but that the basilisk was one too.

Just a random thought ^^

17. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps that might have been the serpent that was the Horcrux...and not Nagini? If its Nagini, its gonna be a lot difficult for Harry , for he would have to kill the snake before Voldermort . Unlike the other horcruxes, Voldermot will know for sure that Nagini would be dead. Upon the death of the snake, Voldermot might realise that his secret has been discovered and he'll be dead mad!

18. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure that a horcruxe can even be a living thing.
    It is true the the killing curse doesnt leave a scar, but noone has survived it besides Harry. So the scar is a result of the two magics involved, Avada Kerdavra and his mother's love. My theory of the scar is that the clash of these magics caused the scar ( killing skin tissue etc ).
    It doesnt seem that Voldemort would use Harry as a horcruxe ( even if they can be living things ) and then try to kill him.
    Going along with this:
    Now if he was going to use harry's skull he would first have to kill him then perfom the horcruxe, not the other way around, otherwise he would have destroyed his own piece of soul.

19. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    He killed Lilly before Harry, didn't he? Lily's death might have allowed voldemort to use harry as a horcrux, so Voldemort need not necessarily kill Harry to make him a Horcrux, can he? . Dumbledore said animals can also be used as horcruxes, and Nagini is alive. Voldermort need not kill her to make her a horcrux ( If Nagini really is a horcrux).

20. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Okay, forgot about the animal thing. But still I dont really buy into harry as a horcruxe. Firstly, animals and humans are completely different. Second, I believe ( IMHO ) that a human would have to be willing. Third, again why would he make harry one then try to kill him right after. We know that he was going to kill harry when he was a baby, and he has been trying to kill him since. Why would he destroy his own horcruxe? That wouldnt make since.