help with a book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by harmonixer554, Mar 27, 2009.

1. harmonixer554

harmonixer554 The Bringer Of The End Of Times... and Cookies

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    so guys i have been thinking and i have decided to write a book i don't know what about yet (thats why i am posting here) i am going to set it in a past with more advanced science (because of magic making more discoveries), i need some story to start the book so i can get the brain juices flowing agian, also if you want to be included in the book i surpose you can write a charecter profile, i will pm all thoses that offer a profile saying if you have made it into the book

well just to do a qiuick brain storm here are a few ideas i will say i want all feedback good or bad

a young boy given to a knight to become his squire (boy has royal blood ) he grows up to fight along side the most nobel of knights and princes. (not story just outline)

band of nomads traviling up some moutains when one of the women give birth to a child bearing the mark of the demi-god artanus, the child is left behind to die (the mark keeps him alive by animals coming in and treating him as a cub or what not)

i have a few more i will say later on

2. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    How about instead of a child, you focus on an Old hero, taking up arms one last time towards evil dragon/demon/hitler/etc.

3. harmonixer554

harmonixer554 The Bringer Of The End Of Times... and Cookies

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    sounds good and lol at the hitler part :)

i think i might do that because all my writings start with a young boy then he grows up to be a hero or somthing of that nature ... pretty generic i know

4. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Always good to try new things.

5. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The ideas you have here can work. What comes to my mind is that determining what the child will fight along side the knights and princes should help spark ideas about the story. For example if fighting a dragon were in the future of this royal child then showing in his youth how he is very cunning against foes larger and smarter than himself would help define him and the story you are going to write.

It will also help if you know why the royal child was given to the knight. Is it because he is one of ten sons and so is unwanted as a possible heir and so the parents, or one of the brothers gives him away. Or is he the only heir and the king and queen give him away to keep him safe because some wizard is out to get him. And then of course the king and queen would have to use some powerful magic as well to keep their child hidden until time for him to take the throne.

I am not as keen on the nomad and demi-god idea. It's not that it can't become a good story too but simply that it doesn't interest me as much.

Hopefully some of this will spark the idea(s) you need to write your book.

6. EstuansInterius

EstuansInterius Ira vehementi

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I like the contrast idea, in which you switch between a couple main characters who differ (potentially dramatically) and tell their stories semi-independently, with them intersecting occasionally. You could use them as foil for each other that way, and contrast the ideas of age/youth etc. and give them other contrasting traits. One doesn't necessarily have to have good traits while the other has bad ones... just different. Like you could try wisdom vs. courage, among others. That could be interesting.