Help, pls

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Prince_Kheldar, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Greetings fellow writers and fantasy fans.

As some of you may or may not remember, a year and some moons ago, I started writing a book. A fantsy story, ofcourse. What else?
    At the time I was not sure if I would ever finish it, or even get to ten pages.

As it happened, I got to 154 pages, and called it a book. I printed it at work (in secret. I was so scared my boss would catch me doing it), wrapped it in a box and gave it to my parents for x-mas. They loved it, and my dad was so proud he said he almost cried. He never does that, so tbh it's the biggest compliment I have ever gotten.

Aaaanywho, after interviewing my folks about the story and stuff, I am now in the middle of the editing process. I have a farfetched dream of sending this book, my baby, to a few publishers, and see if there might be a tiny hope that there is a place for my book in the vast ocean of fantasy literature.

But I am stuck. On one of the silliest things: a name. A name for some mountains. Some dark and mysterious mountains where the dark elves once lived. I thought of The Shadow Mountains (it sounds pretty good in Norwegian, you see). Then my subconsciense nudget at me, I googled it, and found that OF COURSE IT'S TOLKIEN! Gah, I even knew that.

Sooo. Is there anyone willing to brainstorm with me about some awesome mountain names? Please?

I promise that when I get published and eventually the next J.K Rowling (xD), I'll give whoever comes up with the best one credit in my book.

2. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Firstly, congratulations. It's no small thing to finish a literary work of that size. :)

As for suggestions, I have no idea. Let me think...

Earth's Crease

Umbrose Peaks ("umbrose" being another word for shady)

The Augur Heap ("augur" meaning: of an event or circumstance - portend a good or bad outcome)

The Spectral Fells

And that's all I got. :D

3. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, thanks!

Well, I like some of those a lot! Especially The Augur Heap, and Umbrose Peaks. Sadly though, they don't sound very catchy in Norwegian!

But thanks so much for coming up with those!

The best I could do was The Dark mountains (which tbh sounds a bit cooler in Norwegian). But it's waaay to cliche-y and, well, boring. The Mystique Mountains sounds too, hmm, pompous in Norwegian.
    This is not easy!

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Congrats on the fantasy story... and it's always nice making your parents cry, for a good reason once in awhile.:)

Now to mountain range naming... what does the word 'Devil' sound like in Norwegian?

How about 'Erinys Summit'... it sounds vaguely elvish but "Erinys" comes from Greek Mythology. What does "summit" sound like in your native tongue?

And hey, I'll be sending a letter out your way soon... it's coming in a box, so open it carefully, and don't be scared.:D

5. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I don't like devil, because I don't operate with a god and a devil ;) And thanks for the input, but I wouldn't want to mix greek mythology in this, as that belongs to a different part of my world!

Aah, I am looking forward to it! I'll try and treat it as if it's not a bomb :D

6. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I agree. It took me ages to even come up with those suggestions, so I don't envy what you're going through right now! I sure hope you manage to settle on a suitable name!

7. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Well, I hope I will. The problem is, I have more names to come up with, as well! I have fjords and towns and a canal, and not to mention the handful of islands! Gah. Sometimes I enjoy coming uo with such names, but these days I just don't have any inspiration!

I guess I'll just let it cool for a bit, and try not to think about names as much as editing the rest, and then maybe I'll come up with some awesome names after a while ;)

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sometimes it helps to base it off a real world area or region in a historic period. Learn a little of what the old word names for things actually mean and then adapt it into the language of your people in your world (accounting for past shifts in land ownership that might affect what something is called)

9. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I know. I've been messing with Norwegian place names for days! Especially Fjords, and all I can find is that they all sound too.. I don't know, like they don't belong in my world. But I am planning on seeing my granddad when I get back home the next time, and ask him about names on places up in the mountains at home! He knows them all and probably stories to go along with the names, so maybe I'll get more inspired then :)

Btw, thanks for the tip last night! I've already enjoyed a nice welcome :)

10. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I wanted to suggest Ødefjellene, but that's from the Moomins, isn't it? Then I came up with The Mountains of Oblivon, but that doesn't seem to work in Norwegian. So...hmmm... maybe De Forgjorte Fjellene? Sorgsfjellene? Ergelsesfjellene? Forbannelsesfjellene? Fordømmelsesfjellene (De Fordømte Fjellene - those actually exist in Albania)? De Ukjente/Fremmede Fjellene? De Dunkle Fjellene? De Tause Fjellene?

11. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    hmmmm....
    I dunno how this would translate into Norwegian but in English it has a double meaning. Since your mountains were once home to dark elves you could consider calling them the "Grave Stone" or "Gravestone" Mountains/Range/Heights.
    Grave= a burial site OR a serious situation
    Stone fits with mountains
    gravestone = a monument to mark a burial plot or stones that are grave

Congrats on finishing your book PK!!! :)

12. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The Morgenstjerne (Morning Star) Mountains... I do however kind of like Oddy's 'Mountains of Oblivion'.

Problem is, words that roll nicely off the tongue in English and even sound poetic don't have the same resonance in Norwegian.

You guys really ought to just speak English and discard Norwegian altogether... I mean really, it must be all but impossible to rap in Norwegian.:)

13. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! Wow! That's amazing!
    Here's my one idea (since I don't speak norwegian)

Utgard mountains

since shadow mountains sounds like no place for gods (asgard) or men (midgard)... so let's assume the elves come from utgard. or something ^^

14. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, you have some good ones. I like De Fordømte Fjellene, though it doesn't really fit with it. I also really like Mountains of Oblivion. The more I think about it, the more does Glemselfjellene or De Glemte Fjell/ Glemselens Daler (as it could work with montains) agree with me. I will explore this some more, but for now: Thank you for putting me on that train of thought!! :D

Thanks alot! I do really like names that have more than one meaning, and especially names with sort of a hidden meaning (like, you have to twist the word around to find it).

Thanks :) Yeap, that both sounds good and has a nice meaning to it. But it doesn fit, because I already have vikings in my world, and they live quite far from these mountains, so it wouldn't make any sense since the kingdom these mountains are in, doesn't operate with the Norse gods.

First of all, thanks for the Morning Star! I think I will indeed use it, Morgenstjernefjellet (The Morning Star Mountain), or just Morgenstjernen. But not for the dark elves mountain, but all the same. Thanks! :D

And also, we have Norwegian rappers, and it works well. I guess. Personally I think rap is crap, so yah. I might not be the one to interview about such things!

15. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I dont know if you have made a decision so I'm going to throw this out there,
    Ibenholtfjellkjede. hope all goes well.