help me find this

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by palijer, Dec 29, 2005.

1. palijer

palijer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does anybody know good shops to buy stage-battle lotr weapons like glamdring??
    i live in toronto so if anybody could help me out that would be great. Im providing weapons for a school movie and i really need them to be the right weapons

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    You want battle ready weapons, that look like LOTR swords, on a school's budget? Can't see that happening.

The official LOTR reproductions are made by United Cutlery. They look fabulous, but are made of stainless steel that's onyl good for display and will eventually snap like a twig if used for contact.

Combat swords are made from carbon steel, but aren't cheap, at least USD$150 for a cheap one that will hold together. And they won't look much like the LOTR swords really.

3. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I say just get an Irish hand and a half sword and mod it to look like narsil. Then get a stock medieval sword and say it is Gondorian...

4. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    United Cutlery offers the UC1425 "Museum Collection Glamdring", which our sponsor, CBSwords has for $599. It is advertised as functional, and features a carbon steel blade, but I'm not sure about the fittings. It's also a lot of money for what you're talking about. However, you won't find a better detailed replica.

This thread at SFI shows an Angus Trim AT1415 that has been customized with an "Elven hilt" upgrade by Christian Fletcher. The hilt upgrade alone will cost almost $300, but you can bet it's functional.

This thread has some discussion on the "Guardian Sword", made by Windlass. It is very similar to Glamdring. Its item number is #500706. Here is a thread from SFI with some pictures and discussion.
    I'll PM you with a link where it can be purchased, but you may be able to find it for less.

For the price of the UC1425 or the AT1415 with upgrade, you could instead buy the Guardian Sword and a regular edition UC1265 Glamdring (not functional). The Guardian Sword could be used for stage combat and the Glamdring for close-ups. (Or you could go with just the Guardian.)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  5. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Stage Combat isn't real combat, atleast in my experience.
    Usually stage weapons are smaller/lighter/safer sometimes not even made of metal depending on the budget of the production and the degree of realism desired. I would actually say that the knockoffs might not be too bad for this. They're cheap enough that you can afford to abuse them, especially if they only need to hold together long enough for the production.

6. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually, that's a very good point.

How could I forget?
    Years ago, I bought an imitation Glamdring (about $60, but nowadays you could find it for half). It had a rat-tail tang, but there was enough room in the hilt that I was able to put in a replacement blade with a tapered tang. For stage combat, you could even use an aluminium blade!

I agree with Chris, and I think a knock-off piece would be your best option.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005