Help me confirm or define the genre

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by NoelWell, Jan 20, 2020.

1. NoelWell

NoelWell The author of The God's Bracelet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Let me confess that, after being a software developer and technical writer for many, many years, I sat down and in a one shot wrote a book. And then I could not stop there and started writing 2 sequels.

The setting of the series occurs in a number of parallel universes. It starts in our universe, in a somewhat near future, and moves into another universe, and so on. There are powerful, mysterious artifacts involved. There are alien civilizations who possess some of those artifacts and use them, without really knowing their origin. There is magic. Eventually there will be some traditional fantasy creatures appearing in the book.

I had asked around and was told that this is a blend of science fiction and space fantasy. That made sense, and I am sticking with this definition of the genre for now.

Do you agree? Would you define the genre differently? If you want to hear more details before giving your feedback, feel free to let me know. As long as I could tell you, without spoiling too much of a plot, I will be happy to oblige.

Thank you,
    Noel

2. TirelessSeven

TirelessSeven Active Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hi Noel

I think the definition you have is fine. Maybe 'science fantasy' (purely for economy)?

I didn't coin that -- heard Gene Wolfe refer to his own work as 'science fantasy' on tv...

It's a great discussion between himself, Issac Asimov and Harlan Ellison. Worth suffering through the poor video quality of the youtube upload for (it looks like it was filmed off a tv from the 1980s, by a video camera from the 1970s o_O).

Some of your concepts and your scope seem similar to his, but it is difficult to tell how to define what you have without reading some. I'm guessing the alien (artefacts') ability to allow travel through (between?) Multi-dimensional space isn't based in hard-science? Is there an obvious/intended stylistic division between two different genres? How 'High'/traditional is the fantasy, etc?

Will you publish? If so, prehaps it's better to be succinct (maybe definite is a better word) regarding genre.

Could be 'Space Opera'. Sounds derogatory, but 'Space Opera' doesn't have to be a bad thing, in my opinion.
    Space opera - Wikipedia