Hedge Knight

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by hendy, Jul 1, 2007.

1. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to know everyones opinion on The hedge knight and The Sworn Sword.
    I am a very big ASOIAF fan, but have never managed to read either of these two books.
    How good are they, are they worth me getting them shipped over from the states?
    I know very little about when where they are set just that they are set in westeros?

Any advice is welcome.

2. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    They are good, but they are short stories, so you'd have to decide if it was worth it. I don't know the exact time, but they are set around 80 years or so prior to the events in A Game of Thrones.

3. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, both books are a must-read for any GRRM fan and especially ASOIAF-fans.
    Both stories play roughly about 90-100 years before ASOIAF and a lot of the noble houses we know from these books are present in the Dunk&Egg-stories as well.
    I even think I understand some bits of ASOIAF better after reading the Dunk & Egg stories.
    You could learn quite a lot about the Targaryens from these books, for example.
    Without spoilering: Dunk is even mentioned in one of the ASOIAF books (I don't remember which one, I think book 3, in one of the Jaime chapters).
    And some things about ASOIAF have only become clear to me because I read the Hedge Knight and the Sworn Sword.

-G-