Harry Potter vs. LOTR

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Tatharlin, Dec 22, 2004.

?

Which is better?

1. Harry Potter

22 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. LOTR or any Tolkien

149 vote(s)
    87.1%
  1. MasterofReality

MasterofReality The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't like to compare them. They're so different from each other, the only thing they really have in common is the magic, and harry potters magic is all wands but lotrs is more realistic with staffs and stuff. LOTR is in an alternative universe while Harry Potter is in the normal world. I like the LOTR more with story and reading and the movies. But I like Harry Potter more overall becuase its what got me into reading and its always really really enjoyable for me to read because its so easy and I know about the charactors and where JK was inspried by it. I know more about it.

2. Raven Black

Raven Black Ishtari Fangirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Another LOTR. Though, I do admire how JK Rowling merges all of this mythology into Harry Potter. Remus Lupin with all of the moon refrences, and way too many to list.

But, LOTR is a whole new world really with histories for practically every character. For God's sake, he did family tree's and everything, along with partially creating all of those languages. That's just awesome.

Still, getting tired of the repetitve "It's Voldemort!...Again!" But she makes up for it by you not knowing exactly when or where Voldemort is coming from. So yeah.

3. annia

annia New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how anybody can say that harry potter is better than LOTR!
    I can't imagine why he think so...
    I used to like harry Potter. I still like (or rather love) reading fan fictions, but it's not the same as LOTR.
    Maybe LOTR is written in older language, it's more difficult, but I haven't got many problems with understanding.
    So maybe it's like this because I'm reading it in polish translation, and I don't know how it's written in english, maybe it's more difficult to understand...

I don't know what is so special in this book. It's... so magic and I can read it 100 times and always find it beautiful.

4. Caelin

Caelin Elf Ranger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. Harry Potter is fun to read, but LotR is much better! I'm reading the Silmarillion now, and it's brilliant, how Tolkien made up a world, and it all fitst, it could be a real world, all follows more or less logical. That's different from some other fantasy, which it often too farfetched (still like it though :D )

5. Urk the Gurk

Urk the Gurk Urk the Gurk

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lord of the Rings has power. Harry potter does not. Nothing JK Rowling can do is gong to change that. Maybe now that she can almost write, she can start another, more mature series with a believable protagonist. I never will understand why anyone reads those books at all. Oh yeah, they're 'easy.' Wll, I'll give them that. So easy that you don't have to read them all the way throught to guess the rest of the plot.
    Of course that's just my opinion. As if it weren't the only one that mattered.

6. Mystarian

Mystarian Magistrate of the Earth

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think the Lord of the Rings, because its so much more complicated. Everytime, Harry chooses the right path, despite having a good motive. Sure, he cheats on stuff and such, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, the Lord of the Rings triumph. The greatest heroes make mistakes, and when they don't, its only because several dozen generations before them have failed, and they know what happens if you take the dark side. Harry may create the bad situations sometimes, but thats about it.

7. Tuor

Tuor Tuor Amandil

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    LOTR or any Tolkien work of art blows over Harry, though I must say I do enjoy the potter books, but when compared to the genius that is Tolkien they don’t even count, all heil Tolkien

8. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    i think its officially time for an

[​IMG]

9. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Tolkien made whole new words, not to mention he's the father of the fantasy however Harry Potter is more of a light reading and not that complicated so my vote goes to Harry...which he aperently needs quite a alot lol

10. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    How can there even be any comparison? The only thing they have in common is that both have major movie series' about them.

Other than that... HP is more of a children's series, whereas LotR is more mature. And more original. And way better. And doesn't have any fantasy cliches (I mean, HP, boys with wands? come on.) Tolkien's world was far more complex, and he spent the better part of his lifetime working on it. He set the standard for all fantasy writing. HP is just a quick children's fantasy with a mostly unoriginal plotline and concept.

11. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ...which sold more copies then all of Tolkien's books put together...why is that?
    And some people don't realy enjoy complexity, they like simple things that are enjoyable, reading books is for msot people a hoby, as such they want books where they don't have to pull out of character and think about the psyhological effects upon the denizens of the Middle Earth or such.

12. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Primarily because LoTR is sold in a single volume (& has been for decades) whereas the HP heptology is sold in 7 separate volumes which inflates the TOTAL books sold count :)

13. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    True, and even if it's not one volume, people buy it as a set. Look at the Chronicles of Narnia. They've sold 100 million copies, but that's all seven books combined. You would have to add up all the sales of the HP books and divide by seven to get a roughly equivalent number.

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well not exactly, LOTR isn't really one book either...It's actually also sold a lot in 3 copies known as you know what...I don't have to describe that to you I think...

15. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Strictly speaking LoTR is actually made up of 6 books not a trilogy. Tolkien always intended for the LoTR to be published as a single volume and the vast majority of copies are sold in that format. You'd have a problem squeezing HP into a single book, although the readable bits may stretch to a paperback ;) (Only kidding :D)

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well, true I have a single volume copy (including the hobbit)...But it seems that they are selling it more in three volumes rather than one only, now the films came out. Maybe the movies are exactly the reason for that why it's three, not six books.

17. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I did say all of Tolkie books which includes the Hobbit,LOTR and all of his other works...
    Yeah I got is a three books too, had to buy them seperatly but I got it before the movies came out.

18. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ I know you did ~ I chose to ignore it as most readers haven't read any Tolkien apart from LoTR and perhaps The Hobbit, nor would they (his other works) be considered a light read or likely to appeal to the HP (primarily young adult) audience :) Bottom line I suppose is there'll be those who choose quality over quantity. If Rowling could condense HP into a LoTR sized epic then it'd probably be a considerable improvement over the 'bloated' 7 books she did produce ... but that's just my opinion!!

HP was an enjoyable enough read but comparable to LoTR? ~ no chance :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  19. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well true HP was commercial and every literature teacher hates it, they consider it's not a real work of literature if it makes money, they removed LOTR from a "must read" to light reading in my school jsut because it started to make money.
    However I disagree, the real work of literature is the one most people enjoy and not to mention how many kids started reading when HP came out, kids wilingly reading is an acomplisment by itself, so while HP is more for all around audiance, LOTR is more for those who like think and psy the books.I like both but I like HP more because I enjoyed reading it more.

20. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Voted for Harry Potter, and I hate Harry Potter, 'nuf said lol