Harry Potter clues and hints books

Discussion in 'Harry Potter' started by Nynaeve, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone read the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter or New Clues to Harry Potter: Books 5 Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter, Vol. 5?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you did, what did you think of them and some of the theories they have?

I personally like the James/Lupin switch one.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  2. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how I feel about the Lupin/James switch. I would be a bit upset if after all this, losing his parents, losing Sirius- all of these emotions- and then come to find out James is alive. I mean, of course it would be great if James was alive, but I am not sure why, but it doesn't sit well with me. I can't explain it, but I almost hope it is not true.

3. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I hope it's true, just because Harry need family. He was so happy that Sirius was his godfather. He felt he finally had real family that loved him and accepted him. Then he was gone. Harry needs that again.

I think it would be kind of a stretch, even for her. But after all that drama about the polyjuice potion in GoF, it could happen.

And since OotP, I've wondered if Sirius the reason he had to die was because he was starting to become like a father to Harry, and she planned on bring James back somehow.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  4. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting point, however, if I was Harry, admist the joy of knowing my dad was around- I would really be soooooooo mad! He knew Lupin, spent a lot of time with him- how could James not reveal himself to Harry and to his best friend Sirius! How could he let Sirius go to Azkaban (James would have known that Peter was the secret keeper!)? There would be a lot of anger and confusion if James was still alive, and Rowling had better have a good reason (not just fear of Voldermort) for James keeping himself hidden knowing the pain it would be causing Harry and Sirius. I mean, think about all of the years Sirius spent in Azkaban with the dementors- how could you let your best friend suffer through that?

5. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    That's true. He may have not wanted to reveal himself for fear of Wormtail and the Death Eaters coming after him. He may not have known where Wormtail was hiding, (I don't think he did) and needed him for proof. I think they have the reason for him not coming forward as him fearing for his life. Harry would be upset if it was true.

Wait, I just thought of something! Lupin was surprised in book 3 when Sirius told him that Wormtal was the real secret keeper. If he was really James, he would have already known! I'll have to read that section again and see if they say anything about that.

Are we the only two that have read this book? I highly recommend it. I gives some interesting theories on books 1-4, and some neat theories that they have that they think will happen in the rest of the series. The book that works with book 5 is more of a hints book. It gives clues to make you make your own theories. I does not lay everything out for you like the other one. I think it says in the back that they are working on a full guide for book 5 as well.

6. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree these hint books are very interesting and make you really think! I really enjoyed contemplating all of the theories and ideas, and I hope they do come out with a more extensive one on book five for sure! I am so anxious for the next two books!

Good point on Lupin's surprise about Peter being the secret keeper...I was realizing that he also apologized to Sirius for believing him to be the traitor- if he was James he would know who the real traitor was, right?

I am really excited to see how important Neville becomes in the future books, it seems clear that there is something instore for him. I haven't look at the hint books for awhile now though, I will have to refresh my mind on some of the theories for future discussions!

7. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Right! I did a quick check, and they don't say anything about that. I'll look through it better later. Can you find anything about it?

Maybe that theory was too good to be true. :(

8. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I took another look at the hint books, and they don't really say anything that I can find regarding the discussions between Sirius and Lupin in the Shrieking Shack. The only thought I have for the switch being true, is that Rowling has an incredibly good reason for keeping it a secret and James needed to continue to pretend to be Lupin still, and so he was "acting" in a sense.

Another question I would have regarding the switch, is that everyone seemed to believe that James would have not wanted Peter killed, that he would have done the same things as Harry, and stopped Lupin and Sirius. If this is true of James' character, Lupin, who wanted to kill Peter, would not have (b/c he was James). Did that make sense? Oh well, it did in my head.

9. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. The only thing we could think of is that James/Lupin knew Wormtail was there and knew that he was on Voldy's side and would report to him. Hence, he had to act like you said.

It makes sense, but why would James want to save him? He killed his wife, best friend and "himself" in a way (though no one knows), and betrayed him to Voldy. You would think he would want him dead. Why would they think that James would want Wormtail to live?

Do you suppose Wormtail is going to be like Smeagol/Gollum? Maybe she kept him alive for a reason, and he's going to do something big and maybe help those on the "good" side. Didn't Dumbledore say something along the lines of Wormtail being in debt to Harry for saving his life? It was not mentioned in book 5, and I think it may come up later. What do you think?

10. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I definately think that saving Wormtail's life may end up playing a big role in later books- perhaps maybe even save Harry in the end.

From what I gather from Dumbledore's words on James, as angry as he would have been for Wormtail's betrayel, (just as Harry was angry for the murder of his parents), he would have ultimately wanted Wormtail brought to justice through the laws, and the Ministry of Magic. He probably would have seen murdering Wormtail, as justify as it may have been, would have been murder nonetheless, and brought them down to the same level as Wormtail and Voldermort, murderers. I would think that this would be why others believe despite all of his pain he would still not have killed Wormtail.

11. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    That sounds right. I last time I read the books was a while ago, I'm planning on rereading them after I get done rereading the WoT series. I'll have to look for stuff about James and Lupin. I'm forgetting some of it.

Can't wait for the movie!

Do you want a new topic?

12. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am currently re-reading them. I am on Goblet of Fire, they just arrived at the Quidditch World Cup!

Change of subject would be great. One thing I have always wondered (not really related to the hint books), but thought I'd throw out there to get another fan's opinion...How, if at all, would the dementors affect Voldermort?

I mean is there enough humanness in him to be impacted by them? The only joy (if you can call it joy) Voldermort ever experiences is in killing and hurting others, and he is never really happy b/c of his thirst for more power, so what could the dementors take from him? And if they kissed him, would there be a soul for them to suck out? I know Dumbledore fears the dementors will go to Voldermort's side, but will they do this b/c he will put very little limits on their destruction, or b/c he is the only wizard who can resist their power and he therefore controls them?

Anything you would like to discuss, just let me know :)

13. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, good one!

I think that he cannot be affected by them. They suck out all the good feelings and happiness a person has. I don't think he truly experiences any of those. Killing, torture and power bring him some joy, but it's kind of a twisted joy, evil and tainted. I think he has made himself so truly evil that he no longer has any happiness in him.

I think he does still have a soul. For him to come back to life, there has to BE something to brink back into a body, i.e. a soul. I think he controls the dementors by being like them. He knows what they want and how it affects them (others happiness), because he needs that same thing to destroy to make himself feel powerful, and that by giving it to them they'll follow him.

Make sense to you? I kinda rambled.
    Love your new avatar!

14. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All good points, and I agree. I just could not imagine anything that they could really suck from him. I mean, even as a child he did not have good memories (from what we have been told). It seems imposssible to me for the kind of joy he experiences to produce happiness.

I was unsure on this one, but what you said made a lot of sense. I guess even the evilest people have souls. It is hard to imagine though, Voldermort having a soul.

Thanks! It seemed fitting with the next film approaching- and he is my favorite character :)

15. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    What do you think will happen in the next book?

Do you think Cornelius Fudge will remain the Minister? Will Dumbledore control the MoM? Do you think Malfoy and the other kids of the Death Eaters will be allowed to come back to school? Would they put restrictions on their behavior to control them?

These are just some things I've wondered since finishing book 5.

16. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All excellent questions! I am very curious about this next book!

I read a Q&A with Rowling and she said that Fudge will no longer be the minister of magic. She said we will be pleased with the new minister. I do not believe that Dumbledore will remove his focus from Hogarts, the students, and Harry in particular, are too dear to him. He knows Harry is in danger and I believe he will remain at Hogwarts. That said, who then will be the new minister. My bet is on Arthur Weasley, and I hope I am right!

I do not think that Dumbledore or the other professors at Hogwarts will punish the children for their parents sins (so to speak). I believe they will be back at the school, but they will be watch very closely in my opinion! Dumbledore may suspect the evil in Draco, but he is too good of a man to react based soley on the actions of that individual's relatives. I mean, for arguement's sake, look at Sirius' parents, and yet, he is a good man, on the right side, etc. I believe Dumbledore will hold out on his hope for the good in people, until there is no longer any doubt that they are "unsavable". If that makes sense.

Some things I have been wondering about book six...

How long with the Death Eaters remain in Azkaban? When will Voldermort request the loyalty of the Dementors, and will they release Lucius and his fellow Death Eaters?

What is going to happen with the Giants? Rowling made that a big point in the last book, so they must have some important role ahead. What role will Hagrid and Grawp play in this?

And Neville Longbottom...I feel like something big is instore for him, but I don't know what. We find out that he could have been the one in the prophecy at the end of book five, what significance does that have? What role will he play?

I also heard that with Lucius in Azkaban, Mrs. Malfoy is going to play a bigger role. That should be interesting!

17. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Once I read your post, I remembered that I had heard that before. :duh: I have a bad memory. I hope it is Arthur Weasley. He would make a great Minister! I wonder if Dumbledore has control of the school directors, since they were under Malfoy's and Fudge's influence.

I think that the teachers will keep a tight eye on them. When I thought of that question, I figured that Dumbledore would have them come back, but I didn't think to connect it with Sirius and his family. Good point!

I think it all depends on how fast Fudge gets the boot. I think one of the first things Dumbledore will do is make a new prison system. There is no chance that the dementors can be convininced to stay on the good side, and he has to come up with a new way to hold the captured Death Eaters. It's common sense that breaking them out is the first thing Voldy would do.

JKR made it pretty clear that the giants are not easy to talk to of control. Hagrid and Grawp may be able to bring some over to the good side, but I think most will side with Voldy. He appeals to their violent side, so I think that the majority will side with him.
    I think they'll play a big role too.

I think Neville will be important in the next few books, Ginny too. They have both become powerful, and will get even stronger. The clues book has mentioned his parents, wonder if they'll come back/get healed.

I'll be neat to see more of Narcissa Malfoy. Love to hate those evil people!

I was wondering who the new defense against the dark arts teacher will be. I was thinking they might bring the real Mad Eye Moody back. Who better to keep watch at Hogwarts (mainly Harry) and on the Death Eaters kids. He's a great character

18. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The idea of Voldermort with the dementors AND giants on his side is scary! Talk about destruction!

I can't remember where I heard this, but I have heard some speculation on Neville's parents. It is mentioned in book 4 that the Malfoy family has made another significant donation to the hospital Neville's parents are at, and people have wondered if they have someone their "controlling" the Longbottoms. If this was true, then if that person was caught, ideally they could be brought back to reality. It would be great for Neville to have his parents back, I think it would make him stronger.

I agree that Ginny will be big in the next couple books as well. With the twins gone, Ron and her are the only Weasley's left at Hogwarts! She has definately grown up a lot!

I haven't even thought about this! Who will be the next defense against the dark arts teacher? The real Moody would be great! I wonder who it will be- whoever it is, it will have to be better than Umbridge! She was horrible! Maybe Snape will finally get his dream job...I hope not!

Another thing about the upcoming book- what do you think will happen with Percy? Do you think he'll apologize, or is he too proud? He worries me a bit. I believe it was in the hint book- but it could have been another one- that I read that there is an ancient story with a character named Percy who's actions end up leading to his mother's death. I hope that Rowling isn't basing Percy on this character and Mrs. Weasley will be okay! I have a feeling that he is going to continue to make us mad in the next couple books! I hope he apologizes to his parents and Harry for that letter he sent to Ron, but I am not holding my breath for that apology!

19. Nynaeve

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry about not responding, I have not been online much, I have not been feeling good.

Anyway, about Percy, he'll realize he was wrong. He may not apologize, but I think he'll be welcomed into the family again. Hoepfully that will stop the old Percy story from repeating its self. He's so full of himself, he may not be willing to admit he's wrong. He is good deep down, the type who always has to do the good thing, it's a huge part of who he is. He should return to his family and the good side.

I can't think of anything else, can you?

20. HELM_HAMMERHAND

HELM_HAMMERHAND New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have not read any of that book, it looks very interesting though. If you two are very interested in what people have been thing about happening in the next books, check out some of the fanfiction on the net. There are some fairly good sites that have thousands and thousands of Harry Potter fanfiction. The two best would be www.Fanfiction.net or www.Schnoogle.com. I know that was kinda off topic but you guys seemed like the kind of Harry Potter fans that would find some of those stories interesting. I know i did.