H.C Andersen

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Emelie, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    H.C Andersen is for me a well known author. I read his stories a lot when I was a kid. Had this big fat storybook filled of his tales. We even read them at school. Now everyone knows who he is here and the stories he's written. But do you guys? I have no clue how well known he is world wide.
    He's a Danish author. Is mostly famous for his kids stories like: The emperors new clothes, The little match girl, The little mermaid (well everyone knows this one that disney took ;) ), The princess and the pea, The ugly duckling, Thumbelina (also pretty known).

I love his stories, all the ones I've read have important messages in them, that I loved as a child. The little match girl is one of the ones I felt really bad reading though, I read it once, and didn't re read it for many many years after that.

Anyways, id like to know what you know and if you know about him and his stories. And which ones you enjoyed!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    He's well known in America for two reasons... required reading during our early years in the the public school system, and the Disney Company, which have picked him dry for decades for their animated features. The Snow Queen would be my favorite story of his. However, the problem for me with HC Anderson, is that his work no longer relates to my understanding of the world. I see evil as a necessary driver of humanity, I accept evil and hatred as the price we pay for good and love. I also consider being taught such morals at such an early age in school, morals that are religiously based in Christianity, to be societies way of telling me "you better behave yourself or bad things will happen to you".

I think the works of HC Anderson did heavily influenced some of the modern writers I now enjoy, fantasy stories by the likes of Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker just to name two... but they're almost anti-HC Anderson as they turn his fairy tales on their head and take the christian mysticism to another (darker) level.

If I could be so bold as to recommend you some reading material ;)... read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, or Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War by Clive Barker. You'll find elements of HC Anderson throughout both those books.

I'm actually sort of surprised that you like HC Anderson. You seem to have a level of sophistication well beyond what I remember in those HCA stories I read a very long time ago. Perhaps it's me whose become jaded with an overdose of 'urban fantasy', and can't appreciate other types of fantasy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I can usually ignore parts of a message that doesn't go well with me, selective reading perhaps? And perhaps we read in on different messages. You can however always recommend books to me, I'm always looking for excuses for buying and reading new books :D