Gulliver's Travels

Discussion in 'General Books' started by LyannaWolfBlood, Mar 4, 2012.

?

How do you rate Gulliver's Travels?

1. ★★★★★

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ★★★★

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ★★★

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. ★★

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Gulliver's Travels was the book club choice for this month - how did you find it? As always, any non-book club members are very welcome to join in.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'll be back with my own vote tomorrow - not quite finished yet.

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    3 stars; it started off nicely, and I liked the style and story, but after the first part it got repetitive and a little boring.

The writing style is the exact stereotype of the 18th century, especially when trying to avoid censure (he wrote a social satyr, but nobody realised it until later). The style did remind me of Moby Dick.
    The peoples he meets clearly have impossible social and political systems, as they are pretty well off. Science wasn't respected either, but all of this was done in order to mock society, and show it's faults.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I gave it three stars as it is a landmark in English Literature, and for it's time it is quite an audacious work of fiction.

Beyond that, I'll also compare it to Moby Dick; not so much for the style of writing as the heavy-handed execution of prose and message. Many who read Gulliver's Travels don't realize that Jonathan Swift not only mocks the politics, religion, and social order of the day... he's mocking the human spirit that does not abide by and for God, the person who adheres too tightly to reason is the lesser for it. Also, Swift's use of metaphor and irony are applied in short order and with a sledge hammer... he gets a C- from me for his subtlety and sophistication. That said, what Swift does particularly well is let his character change over time and experience. In the end, he is rather unkind to poor Gulliver. Gulliver the optimist is gone, and perhaps that is as it should be.

5. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I think I have to give up on this - much like you two, I've found the bit I have read to be clever but not really compelling as a story. I'm sorry that after never having missed a book before last month I've now done it two months in a row, but it's my last semester of uni and I'd kind of like a degree. A Study in Scarlet next month is very short though, so I promise to read that one!

6. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    When are we reading A Study in Scarlet for?

I read parts of every chapter throughout the rest of the book, and I see what you mean Sparrow. I did find, however, that the most plausible story is the first one, and that that was the one under the most pressure on the censorship side, so it's there that he has to make stuff look good, whilst later on, with more clearly impossible stuff going on, he could give a stronger opinion to bypass the censorship (like Jean La Fontaine with the animals in his fables).

7. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    How about the 1st of April? Would that suit?

8. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Yes, though I'd only post on the Monday (2nd) or after, but that's not long.