Greatest Musician In Modern Time?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Mord, Nov 7, 2008.

?

Greatest Musician

Poll closed Apr 11, 2009.
  1. The Beatles

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Elvis Presley

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Michael Jackson

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. The Rolling Stones

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Bob Dylan

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. James Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Prince

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Paul McCartney (Solo career)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. John Lennon (solo)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Pink Floyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Led Zeppelin

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  12. Ray Charles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Other (Please specify)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Mord

Mord The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    So yeah, the title says it all, choose wisely who has made the biggest impact or the most inspirational over the last few decades?

If I left anyone out click other and post who, this was just of the top of my head and I started to run out of people around No.8 -.-"

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ...and yet, you managed to leave out Jimi Hendrix.

Still, I went with The Beatles. I think they had the biggest impact on modern music as we now know it.

But Jimi would have made a good second for me... And U2 third. And Metallica 4th...

I think you missed some opportunities, Mord ;)

3. Mord

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Always do, wouldn't be me if I didn't though :p

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I think I would vote for Prince. The man is obviously a genius. He has written so many songs for so many different groups and people and not to mention his own songs are impressive in themselves.

Personally I never liked The Beatles, but they certainly were influential and well known. But Greatest? I don't think so.

Elvis was a great musician, and again a very influential figure, but he did not write his own songs, so in comparison he wasn't as "great".

Lastly I'll coment on Led Zep since I cannot be bothered to comment anymore lol. Again, another very influential group who wrote their own songs. They were actually quite varied in their music and that is I believe a good thing.

I won't actually vote though lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Come on guys, you know i have to vote for Dylan. I could list off a million reasons, but i don't have to. All you have to look at is his songwriting- how revolutionary is it!

Second i'll say the Beatles. They're the beatles for gods sake!

6. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    everyone had impact of their own (ray isn't like mccartney, but still is important). so i cannot say.

7. Mord

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    The Beatles shaped modern music alot, but as much as I listen to them, I dont really like the music they play, legendary no doubt.

Elvis made a Huge impact on music around the same period as the beatles, even earlier, a real ladies man, his music was catchy but like the Beatles, is not appreciated enough through todays modern community, in the end his downfall was getting overweight and acting like a washed up has been.

Prince, everyone knows for his weird styles yet his genius lyrics and videos. Although people say Prince was no were near Michael Jackson's league he was pretty much in an entirely different league of his own, and not one person can flame him for that, though some of his downfall was filing lawsuit against Ebay, Amazon and youtube for showing his videos.

Michael Jackson was argueably the biggest thing of the 80's no doubt, after the success of Thriller he had instantly etched his name into Musical history, with one album breaking many boundries.
    Quite sad how he threw it away by changing his image constantly and his increasingly weird attitude was starting to scare alot of people. As well as the reports made against him about interfering with Children.

Though they do say, every great entertainer has his bad sides and secrets.

8. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Where's Britney Spears!? LOL .... seriously tho I voted the Beatles.

9. rough666

rough666 Head of the Dept. of Evil

British Columbia, 668 - Neighbor of the Beast
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The Beatles for me, as well. Steve Earle should be on the list, no?

• Like Like x 1
  10. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Charlie Daniels followed closely by The King of Rock n' Roll Elvis

11. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I'll say the Stones, mostly because I like them the most of all of them, although I will admit they probably aren't as great overall as some of the others.

12. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    a little confused.

there is a difference between musicianship and musical influence. the beatles, no question, had the greatest influence on modern music and were perhaps the greatest and most influential song writers, but as far as musicianship goes, they were good, but not great.

musicianship is measured by a set of standards different than the ability to write music. i would argue it is measured by the ability to not only perform but more so if not all together improvise. improvisation is what makes a guitarist or any rock/blues/jazz eg modern musician. anyone who has picked up a guitar will tell you that.

by that standard, led zeppelin followed by prince would be my choice. some of these people were not even musicians so much as they were performers. and like tur said, hendrix is absent from the list along with a laundry list of others like cream, jethro tull, rush, miles davis, steve vai...

but all time greatest modern musician imho is jimi hendrix because not only could he improvise, but the sounds he produced were otherwordly relative to the time. as far as song writing goes, he was the opposite of the beatles, good, but not great.

13. __________

__________ New Member

Phasing out the Human race will solve every proble
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    What about Black Sabbath? They are certainly one of the most influential/Inspirational bands around (well at least the first ten years).
    They were the catalyst for heavy music as we know it.
    And surely a band like Nirvana should be on the list. Love em or hate them, they clearly defined a generation and spawned a genre which signalled the end of the "Hair" rock/metal bands and the soppy top 40 "singers" in 1990/91. Surely that has had a huge impact on the musical landscape?

14. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, you're missing a lot of very influential musicians. Pretty much every guitarist in the world was inspired my Jimi Hendrix. Also, there's a common argument about who is better and more influential, Neil Young or Bob Dylan, and Young wins that with ease most of the time, and he is not on that list either. There's no reason at all for Prince to be up there. And even though you mentioned McCartney and Lennon as their solo careers, you might as well just group them in with the Beatles, of the Beatles in with them, either way it's all the same really. I love Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin so I'm glad you mentioned them, but you forgot some others such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Zappa, and a lot of classical composers.

15. volksmenner

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    how is neil young more influential than bob dylan? bob dylan was at the forefront of american counter-culture who's music influenced the beatles and encouraged their sound away from bubble gum pop to experimental. as far as talent is concerned, dylan is a much more advanced and eclectic songwriter than young. young is good but by no stretch of the imagination is he dylan.

heh. are you serious. remarkable.

wrong. the beatles and mccartney and lennon are not even close to being the same. the beatles were great for a variety of reasons, their keen ear for melody, songwriting, experimentation, production, presence and persona, they had the complete package. not to mention the professional rivalry between mccartney/lennon is what kept them sharp.

minus the beatles, mccartney and lennon lost the intangibles that made them great. mccartney lost his edge and lennon lost his control for lack of a better word. the only beatle to outdo himself as a solo artist was george harrison.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  16. Siggy

Siggy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Bowie?

17. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I stick with my points, talent wise the Beatles, Lennon and McCartney are all the same, and incase you didn't notice it does say Greatest Musician not most influential.

You're allowed to think Dylan is better and more influential, and he may be more influential, that I will concede, but he is not better, not by a long shot, the man cannot sing, nor does he give any sort of performance worth mentioning. Young is very entertaining and absolutely fantastic, and his voice is much better than Dylan's, he is also a better guitarist.

Prince, not a great musician, sorry, just never understood what all the fuss was about, nothing there really.

18. volksmenner

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    as a matter of fact i did notice. i also happen to notice this...
    better voice? no dice. neither men can sing. better guitarist? sure why not.

it is difficult to believe someone could make such a statement without losing all credibility. i suppose, if you do not consider the fact that he can play over twenty instruments. and that he is a more accomplished guitarist than everyone on that list with the exception of jimmy page. but that's nothing really. /sarcasm <<< in case you didn't notice.

19. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people grossly underestimate Prince's musicality. The man has written so many songs, and those include numerous songs written for other people/bands which are considered great songs. Not only that, the man can play so many different instruments with a good degree of skill, and his guitar work is nothing to laugh at, infact, it's something to be impressed at.

I won't list those songs now to punctuate my statements because I've just got back from the gym, need to make dinner and cannot be bothered. Although I will say he's been added to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm not saying all his songs are great (some of them are just damn freaky), but a lot of them are good, and even if the vocals aren't preferable, the music is.

On the subject of Young and Dylan. Well in terms of opinion I dislike both of them, so cannot formulate a particularly indepth analysis of them since I avoid their music.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  20. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Dylan isn't exceptional at singing, gutair, harmonica playing. Put it all together with hands down the best song-writing imaginable, and you have one of the best and most influential artists... ever.

I like neil young but no. He's not a better singer. He's likely a better gutair player, and to call him better than dylan is like... wow. Unspeakable.