Greatest Empire

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Foinikas, Mar 26, 2007.

?

Greatest Empire

1. Roman Empire

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Empire of Alexander the Great

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Mongol Empire

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Persian Empire

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Ottoman Empire

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Ok so which of these empires do you consider the most significant in terms of power,cultural legacy and style?

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    um...no poll

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    The greatest empire was probably the Roman Empire...I mean they all say oh they were baddies, but that goes for any empire...human beings equals human action, good or evil and most of the time both. Anyway they had a huge influence on our plumming, drainage, sanitation, roads...you name it...anyway it's not just that...they were almost great in all aspects...the military...their culture...they almost conquered the whole known world at the time. (except scotland maybe....They had to build a damn wall to keep the buggers out lol)
    I've been to Rome...sooooo impressive...I just loved the colloseum. After watching Gladiator actually I just wanted to learn more and more about it.

There's much more to tell about culture and such, but yeah everyone knows I guess that if it comes to empires the Roman Empire really stands out. I would say that the Greeks were not as impressive as the Romans...But I think that if it comes to individuals such as Achilles, Alexander...I really love the Greek mythology...That is where the Greeks stand out in my opinion. But the Greek Empire was not as impressive as the Egyptians which was also a great empire because their culture is so impressive too, I love the mystery about it such as the pyramids, the knowledge they seem to possess...today it's still baffling what they knew...I know the Greeks conquered the Egyptians, but every Empire has its weaker days, every Empire falls including the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the British and hopefully once the American lol.

4. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Wtf?I did put a poll but I must have pressed something accidentally and I got into a different page.When I went back I wasn't logged on the forum!

By the way I believe the Roman Empire was the most significant at least from Ancient Empires because no matter the wars and all that stuff it was actually one of the biggest empires ever and it was in the ancient world as well!

Apart from that the Romans provided the entire world with a language that helped form many of the European languages.Don't take me wrong yes I do believe that ancient Greek was very important for the ancient world and it affected Latin as well in many parts but Latin was also significant and still is significant because we still use words and phrases from the Latin language.

Apart from all that the Romans created a huge network of roads and guards and cities and they built huge monuments and places where water could be stored.They made laws and they had an organized army with same clothes and armor and training.

And as a Byzantine guy,my favorite empire is the Byzantine Empire of course which is a mix of Greece,the Roman Empire and the Christian faith.Even though the Byzantines were Greeks(most of them)the Empire was called Roman Empire because it was considered(and come to think of it it was)the heir,the continuation of the Roman Empire.

Also the Roman Empire was the dominant world-power at the time when the Lord was crucified and it was the Empire that became from pagan to Christian.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  5. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    make a new one and put a poll...ask the mods to delete this one

6. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    In terms of power....the Mongol Empire when ruled by Chingis (Genghis) Kahn. The army was vast and spread across a huge portion of the globe.

As for cultural legacy, I believe that the Romans have had a strong impression on much of the world as we see today, but the Greek empire as well had a lot of input. Egyptian culture...well personally I cannot see how much of it has influenced us because I never really studied it, although much of their architectural work is immensely impressive.

7. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    power=Sparta
    cultural=Rome
    legacy=Rome
    style=Japan's Samurai

8. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Actually power would go to Rome. Sparta never had an empire of it's own, it was part of the Greek empire.

9. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    well I know but still I think if a Spartan+Roman=dead Roman

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Then you would take more about strenght not power...

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to say who would win in that situation. Romans weren't training their whole lives for war, but Rome did produce some of the finest soldiers the world has ever seen.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  12. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    power: british or roman
    cultural legacy: chinese
    stlye: roman

fix the poll!!! :)

13. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about the Mongol Empire when Genghis Kahn ruled :S

14. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    just you... :D

they obviously didnt contribute to the factors were writting about as much as the others!!!

15. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Well without the Mongols Europe and Asia would have gone much longer without much interaction after the fall of Rome. There is no doubt a lot of importance behind the Mongols, you don't get to be the largest land empire in history for nothing, but cultural legacy is somewhat lost anywhere outside Mongolia. So for power they'd no doubt be one of the strongest up until after Kublai died.

16. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Foinikas if you make a new thread with a poll in it we can move these posts into the proper poll so nothing will get lost.

17. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Ok,here is the thread again.

I just wanted to tell you guys that I let some Empires out on purpous because I didn't want to have them inside.For example some Empires like the British Empire or the Aztec Empire or the Byzantine Empire which is my favorite or the Chinese Empire etc.

I just want to know your opinion about these specific ones that I will put here and you have to tell me why you think it is your favorite one.

18. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    ok, there are alot missing!!!

you should have put the option "other"

19. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Alexander the Great!!! if he didn't get sick he'd probably be the best EVER

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I'm just going to repost this:

The greatest empire was probably the Roman Empire...I mean they all say oh they were baddies, but that goes for any empire...human beings equals human action, good or evil and most of the time both. Anyway they had a huge influence on our plumming, drainage, sanitation, roads...you name it...anyway it's not just that...they were almost great in all aspects...the military...their culture...they almost conquered the whole known world at the time. (except scotland maybe....They had to build a damn wall to keep the buggers out lol)
    I've been to Rome...sooooo impressive...I just loved the colloseum. After watching Gladiator actually I just wanted to learn more and more about it.

There's much more to tell about culture and such, but yeah everyone knows I guess that if it comes to empires the Roman Empire really stands out. I would say that the Greeks were not as impressive as the Romans...But I think that if it comes to individuals such as Achilles, Alexander...I really love the Greek mythology...That is where the Greeks stand out in my opinion. But the Greek Empire was not as impressive as the Egyptians which was also a great empire because their culture is so impressive too, I love the mystery about it such as the pyramids, the knowledge they seem to possess...today it's still baffling what they knew...I know the Greeks conquered the Egyptians, but every Empire has its weaker days, every Empire falls including the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the British and hopefully once the American lol.