Great Actors for the Hobbit?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DurinSnowrath, Jan 25, 2004.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    tim curray's better!

2. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can't have Smaug sounding like Vader. That is just too weird.

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Not if he makes it sound more evil, despite his role, the vader voice did sound kind of neutral.

4. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmm sean connery would be kool for thorin he sounds exactly like him from the hobbits on recorded c.d. lol

5. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, he would work for Thorin.

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I got the hobbit on tape and he sounds much more like brian blessed

7. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think that Liam would be good for Bard... Him or a grunged out Nick Cage or even Val Kilmer, he was awsome in Willow. Connery would be an awsome Thorin. Lets see here... ummm... Me (heehee) for Bilbo--seriously, cuz im almost a hobbit myself, i can do a perfect British accent, i got the hairy feet already, the big-wig, all i need is the prosthetic ears. Thranduil would have to be David Bowie, he just has that elvish air about him. I think that that big dude from Green Mile should be Beorn, because a black dude is almost unheard of in this film genre for a good guy, and he seems to fit the part. The Goblin-King should be the guy who played Deebo from Friday & Next Friday, cuz he's just str8 evil lookin enuff. The dwarves should just be played by ppl we dont know, just as long as they look the part with the scottish accent. Other than Bilbo, all the returning cast should play the appropriate parts. And since we see what happened to Gandalf @ Isengard in FotR, we should see him in Dol Guldor as well. The trolls should be voiced by Mike Meyers, Robin Williams and another good voice impersonator/comedian, cuz they come across as just stupid, silly creatures. And finally, Smaug... hmmm... Vader would seem kinda wierd as dragon, but dont entirely rule out James Earl Jones... Christopher Lee would be cool, but he already played Saruman. How bout Willam Dafoe... ya i can see him playin Smaug !!! =)

So what do u think of my cast ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  8. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh and the Silmarrillion as an HBO miniseries, i thought of that too. It dont have to be an HBO mini-series, rather a regular TV mini-series like what the Hobbit is rumored to possibly be. I think it would be best as a 2 hour 20 part big budget film, with a completely new cast. The Ainulindale and Valaquenta parts should briefly done in the first episode, and the Akkalabeth should also be a briefed one or two episode part at the end, more as like a brief appended part (and this way they can include the full Last Alliance sequence especially since Gil-Galad's death was cut). And since we have LotR, leave out the last chapter, 'of the third age and the rings of power'. The main focus would be on the Oath of the Noldor, the Lay of Leithian, and the Lay of Turin, which were the main stories in Sil. Everything that happens in Sil came from these stories.

The hobbit should be another 3 hr theatrical movie, with an EE later released (if anything happens to get left out or PJ wants us to see more).

9. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i like the idea for the silmarillion, but as for the hobbit, how about a two part movie that is 2.5-3 hours each. excuse me for being greedy, i would just love to see as much as possible from the books, lol.

10. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well if i can read the Hobbit in 3 hours, they can fit plenty of the details from the book and then some in a 3 hour movie... =P

11. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I think what would be awesome is if they made a whole movie about the time of Sauron's reign after morgoth's fall and go through the creation of the rings and the numenorean stuff and end it with the battle of the last alliance at mount doom. And have a dark ending that forshadows the lord of the rings series.

*just wishful thinking

12. Tolman Muggworts

Tolman Muggworts claymore wielding hobbit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope they make The Sil. into a few movies, except that they'd screw it up and add all sorts of action that wasn't even remotely there.
    I'll see The Hobbit at midnight when it comes out if at all possible though.
    I think The Hobbit would be awesome in two parts even though this won't happen.

13. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Why does everyone think that the hobbit won't fit into one movie? And how would ian holm be too old?

14. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Cause Ian Holm is already 73+ and they won't be filming the Hobbit until they can iron out the legalities with the distributions rights and start filming it. PJ estimated it would be at least 2006 before he could start anything after King Kong. At which point Holm will be over 75. That's not how I picture the Bilbo of the Hobbit.

15. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    yes, but i dont think he was that young looking in the prologue of FOTR.

Plus, people say that they want the scenes where gandalf, saruman and the white council go to dol guldor. Now if i'm not mistaken, christopher lee is like already 81 years old. What do you people have to say about that?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  16. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I am MUCH more concerned with having an actor that might be a little old looking for bilbo but plays the part perfectly, than haveing someone who looks more like tolkien's description. Ian Holm was PERFECT as bilbo throughout the lotr trilogy. And i don't care if he looks a little older than what was in the books. I would much rather have him play the part than some younger person that doesnt have the right personality.

17. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Currenty, there is a bidding war for the script of the hobbit.

New Line and Marimax are battling it out (according to CNN ). It will be a long, long time untill the hobbit.
    Ian Holm is not a possiblity, hes just to old. They could stretch his skin like in the prolouge but... come on! who are we kidding? :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  18. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he will look THAT much older in a few years. *knock on wood* I still would rather have him being old than anyone else playing the part as bilbo just because they are younger looking than Ian Holm. I don't know about anyone else, but I would go for the quality of the actor over the looks.

19. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Of course. But sometimes people just don't fit into a film because of their age.
    imagine a 75 year old terminator.

20. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    hm . . . you make a good point.