government

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Beldaran, Aug 23, 2012.

1. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    old perv :D

did you try burning cat alive? :D

2. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Mother England? I think not. Britain is made up of FOUR completely separate countries with their own history. There is no Mother England unless you are English and deem it so. As for getting away from English rule, we've been trying to get a referendum passed so that we can do exactly that. Thankfully it just got put through and we get our vote in 2014, enough time to try and educate people on the pros and cons of independence so that they can make an informed decision. While I have nothing against English people, politically we have been screwed over time and time again.

Can't say I blame your dad for wanting out of Glasgow. The amount of rain Glasgow gets you'd be best being born with gills.

I'm a proud Scot and adore kilts. All Scots that wear them do so in honour of their heritage, there is nothing ridiculous about it. We are proud of our history, our land, our people and the kilt is a fond reminder of all that we hold dear. Also looks great on men which is why many designers have ripped-off the kilt for the modern person. Catholic schools ripped-off the kilt for their uniforms not the other way around and they tend to only have a female version of it. A true kilt is worn by both sexes and is used to identify the clan that the person belongs to.

Bagpipes I'll concede can sound like a cat squealing, but played properly they sound great. Even Harry Potter used them in the yule ball to great effect.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

But isn't that a bit odd, why wait until 2014? I'll tell you why you wait, it's because the SNP needs more time to drum up enough support for it to pass... which in the end, it won't have the votes and true Statehood will again fall through the cracks for once proud Scotland. Even the way the ballot will appear, the words used and the single do-or-die option has been dictated by England.

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The kilt and those bagpipes should be reminders of those Scots who revolted against English rule, and who died for something that you need only to accept with open arms. It's an abomination to their memory and sacrifice that the dream of a Scotland that stands on her own will fall once more to a vote.

I wish when people thought of Scotland they thought of something other than kilts, bagpipes, and the rain.

5. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They do, there's also haggis hunting and Nessie watching :p

If it was up to Scotland we would have the vote much sooner but we are governed by the English Parliament. SNP don't need to drum up enough votes for it, they simply need to educate people who aren't interested in politics so that they go out and vote. The ballot will be a do or die, we either vote to be free or we give away our rights and permit England to rule over us unconditionally forever more. That was the agreement that they shook upon.

"The kilt and those bagpipes should be reminders of those Scots who revolted against English rule, and who died for something that you need only to accept with open arms. It's an abomination to their memory and sacrifice that the dream of a Scotland that stands on her own will fall once more to a vote."

Well, we could all bend over and show them what we think, but for modesties sake a simple x on a bit of paper or online would probably go over better with the voters. The kilt and bagpipes predate the English wars. The kilt may have originated in China according to recent discoveries and bagpipes they reckon originated in Asia or Africa, I forget which. Since Scotland is a truly multicultural land it doesn't come as much of a shock to find the things we hold dear to have originated elsewhere. This, however, does not detract from what they represent to the Scottish people.

6. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Unfortunately, the history most Scots remember is a very watered-down one... sort of like what we Americans do; it's like history without the subtext.

7. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I used to love Walter Scott, so for me Scotland is a bit more than kilts :)

8. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not at all, we all learn the good, the bad and the ugly of our history. I can only conclude from your statements that you take your views from the films.

Bannock burn is still a great place to visit. They stopped selling the wee hairy haggis from the tourist shop though.

9. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

nah, it comes from history books.

10. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    *starts to wonder what kind of european history is taught in US... similar to geography, I reckon ;)

11. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha yep I think so.

12. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    In Greenville, NC

Policeman: Are you from Britain?
    Me: nope, I'm from Lithuania
    Policeman: and where in Britain is that? I've been to Manchester, is that far?
    Me: yeah that is quite far from Manchester...

13. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sweet freaking bananas hahahaha

14. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    and then for the whole year, whenever he saw he would go like "Hi Britain" :D

15. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hahahaha bet he felt like a complete dunderheid after he realised his mistake.

16. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I think he never did :D

17. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  18. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    you know ppl in never are never brightest in any country...

Here in CH they joke, that in order to be accepted to police they show you 1-5 fingers, and you have to remember how many it was :) If you pass, you're in :)

19. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah that's a pretty naive statement. The idea of knights of honour and the code of chivalry etc is largely fantasy, in the realism of "boots on the ground" life, it has never stopped the various grotesqueries of humanity from surfacing. Humans have always been corrupt and self-serving. We gather power and wealth to ourselves to secure our position, stability, health and longevity. It's a modern version of survival of the fittest.

Government is a necessary evil. Society simply can't function at a large scale, or even a small to medium scale, without some semblance of order. Who builds roads? Power and water? Education? Health care? Politics will always have some level of corruption and nepotism because quite simply, it's run by humans, and that's the way we are. But I do like turning on a tap and getting clean fresh water come out.