Gotham (TV show)

Discussion in 'General Television' started by Running Wolf, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I... *looks around* couldn't find a thread about it and thought I'd start one

because: I'm a little confused.
    I watched the pilot just now and ummm... am a bit surprised.
    I haven't read the comics (my bad, I know, please hold the rotten fruit) but even I, with my lack of knowledge, could see several of Batman's enemies even in that first episode. It seemed a little too much. Thoughts on that?

Also: Is that going to be a series about Bruce becoming Batman and basically Gordon doing his thing (like CSI: Gotham?) or will there be a jump on the timeline in episode 2?
    If so: why? ^^

Alfred. What did they do to Alfred? Or have I been misinformed by the recent Batman-trilogy and Alfred has always been ... unpleasant company?!

And if I have annoyed you with all my un-informed, noob questions, you're welcome to just express your expert opinions on this another-comic-turns-into-a-series adventure.
    What's your 2 cents?

2. CheshireGrin

CheshireGrin Active Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -0
    Oops! I hadn't realized the show had already started. I've been looking forward to it, but then I completely forgot about it! :confused:
    From what I've heard about the show I think it's mostly going to be about Gordon, but that it will serve as origin stories for some of the villains and show a young Bruce's development into what will one day make him become Batman. I don't think they'll do a time jump or anything like that since it is supposed to be about the character development of all these characters.
    I'll have to try to get around to watching it soon before I get too far behind.
    Did you like it enough to watch the next episode when it comes out?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that quick answer ^^

Well, the pilot was good. Not super-awesome, but not bad either. So I'll watch the next episode - but if this really turns into CSI:Gotham I think I'm out ^^ (except if they're going real good work on the Batman storyline)

4. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Same here, I had totally forgotten about this until I read your post. Gonna watch it on Sunday!

5. CheshireGrin

CheshireGrin Active Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -0
    No problem! :)
    haha yeah, I'm certainly hoping it won't just wind up being another one of those CSI show as well. I've never really gotten into any of those shows for some reason. Can't wait to check out the pilot for this though. I'm really hoping it will be a good show. I think from the promos I've seen that it has a lot of potential.

6. K.S. Crooks

K.S. Crooks New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Think of the show like Smallville except the focus is on Gordon first then the Batman villains, third is Bruce. When Bruce decides to do more for the city he leaves Gotham to train and learn from different experts in different countries around the world. I think a show based around that would be equally interesting because they could have him stop various crimes in different places the way Clark does in Smallville.
    The one villain that many people missed is the Joker. He is the comedian that is trying to get hired by Fish Mooney in the first episode. He will only be referred to as the Comedian because the Joker does not have any other name. Hope this helps and you enjoy the show.

7. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I figured as much. The first two episodes bombed the audience with soon-to-be-villains, so as soon as I saw the comedian I suspected that might be(come) the Joker. :D

8. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I am unsure if I can accept anyone but Heath Ledger as Joker - even outside the trilogy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kovar15

Kovar15 Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Just watched all the episodes that have come out so far, I like it but don't love it. Whoever is playing the Penguin is really great though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    I really like the guy who is playing penguin
    he is doing it really well, especially the sinister looks he gives
    the series is okay
    I don't love it but it is alright to watch
    :)

11. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The comedian character hasn't popped up, I really don't think they're going to go that route anyway. Joker is only relevant as a counter to Batman, and Batman won't show up until late in the series(similar to how Clark was the blur in Smallville until the very end). If they start mentioning the Red Hood gang that will be something more akin to the Joker origin.

As for villains popping up now, again, think smallville. This isn't supposed to be how the comics worked,this is a totally new universe where things will play out very differently. For instance, Edward Nygma(or the Riddler) isn't that character's real name in the comics, he took that on when he became the Riddler. That character also never worked for the police. Smallville did the same thing, with villains of all sorts popping up in Clark Kent's life way before they would have in comics canon.

It's a pretty good show, I'm liking it a lot. I am however disappointed that someone beat me to the 'superhero show that's not about superheroes' idea hah.

12. Abishai100

Abishai100 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Villainy/Urbanology: The Lens

I agree that Gotham is a lot like Smallville, but it's also a lot more developmental and exploratory about the environment of criminality.

Batman is more human than Superman, so we're more curious about his childhood/backstory and appropriately enough, Gotham City (as compared to Superman's Metropolis) is more representative of 'real-world' urbanology, so we're more interested in what Gotham was like as Bruce Wayne was growing up, which is why Gotham is such a great exposure vehicle for the character of Jim Gordon, who is really doing everything.

I like using this show to contemplate how villainy is related to developmental psychology. My favorite Bat-villain from the show (thus far) is definitely Edward Nygma (Riddler).

riddler-gotham[1].png

13. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I like Gotham, which is surprising because I don't go for most "superhero origin" tv shows.