Goings on in Texas

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Alchemist, Jun 22, 2010.

1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    That plus the entire Senate isn't the kind of people who are willing to give up, constitution wise or otherwise. Well, at least that's my take on US politics not to mention the fact that my knowledge in this area is rather vague at best. >.> Ironically though, the so called founders of the current US of A were actually Puritans. -.-

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Liberal theocracy is impossible, Abe...

The founding fathers were schizophrenic :S

They were liberals. But with a religious background.
    They were proto-pacifists - but has a vision of expansion.
    They were democrats - but shared power among themselves for a protracted period of time.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I've always held the belief that whilst governments should (nay must) encourage and facilitate the education of the population to (at the very least) basic levels of communication, science, maths, manual skills (most fail on this) and (today) computing (most fail here to...currently); that they should not be invovled so directly with setting the content that the students should learn.

It gets messy - either you end up with what Texas is having - political views and controllers being imprinted into the textbooks, teachers and thus into generations. But you also run the risk of devaluing the education system as a whole. A link between education and government inevitably becomes one of grades and government - thus the big incentive to shift grade boundaries and content of education to control the pass and fail rates - and to of course always aim to show increasing highgrade passes through any means (statistics or through lowering boundaries/dumbing down content).

4. Fabled_Tales

Fabled_Tales Middle Earth Ewok

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow...so instead of trying maybe to help curb the huge drug problem in the states, of the fact that there's kids on the street hungry...they're going to come into my house and arrest me when me and my hub are in bed...that's so sad. I'm glad I live in Canada LoL

5. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    That plus US politics are always famous for the bs called the red tape. Hooray for all these bs. -.-