Godric's Hollow

Discussion in 'Harry Potter' started by Jof, May 16, 2006.

1. Jof

Jof New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, not sure if this has come up but i doubt it.

When i was reading the Sixth Harry Potter book i was also going over some English revision; about apostrrophes. LOL . I know abit basic for last year set one but... Anyway back to the thread! I was informed that apostrophies (and here the geeky part) are used for either ownership or plural. As it isnt used in the plural context ive got to assume it ownership. This means that the 'hollow' belongs to this Godric (state the obvious) and as we only know of one Godric in the book (Gryffindor for those lost in my babble) we have to surmise this hollow was his. This would not of course insinuate that the Pottors were living in a cave but maybe the house was resided in by Gryffindors heir to protect some magical item, like the sword or Hufflepuffs cup etc. This i think begs the question of what would he find, maybe another Horcrux? Or maybe some integral part of ancient magic perhaps the Ancient Magic that allowed Lily to protect her son?

Anyway if you got this far thanks and if you have any comments don't hesitate to post.

Jof

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to pop yet another bubble Ché...

Joe said that Godric´s Hollow is a vilage. But its interesting nonetheless, I think Joe also said that she didn´t want to comment on it´s significance. However, we DO know that Godric´s Hollow indeed refers to Godric Gryffindor.

3. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    It's possible that is was simply just named after him, but if she's said she didn't want to comment on the significance, then there is perhaps, some significance to it. Or none at all. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think the English publishers of the series, Bloomsbury, has commented that they expect we'll see the final book sometime next year.

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    bahhhh...

another year of waiting ey? It better be like 3000 pages and impossible to ge through...

5. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That's what I'm hoping for. I don't think I'm the only one who was disappointed with the length of HBP.

6. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    After reading HBP I wanted to keep on reading to see what happens but then it was like the end of the book. I hope we don't have to wait Too long to see what happens next. And Godric Hollow was a town, wasn't it? Or was it one of the founding house members?? I can't remember. The HP series is on my re-read list along with SOT. :)

7. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Godric's Hollow is a village yes, but there's speculation as to whether that does have any significant relationship with Godric Gryffindor and/or horcruxes, or if it was just named after him because he was one of the greatest wizards of his time.