Glorfindel

Discussion in 'Books' started by Lady Orohisiel, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Lady Orohisiel

Lady Orohisiel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Once again this thread is probably already on here but oh well.

I'm confused. Are the Glorfindel in the Silmarillion and the one in LotR the same person or different?? I thought that the Glorfindel (I think he was from Gondolin) in the Sil died in the fight with a Balrog but some people say it's the same one. I think Elves return to Ea but wouldn't he return to Valinor and not Middle-earth???

2. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people beleive that Glorfindel did his time in The Halls of Mandos, then came back in the Third Age. But I don't think that there is any definate proof of this. Just the same names.

3. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Theres also another Legolas, if i remember correctly. Though I spose it could very well be the same one, id say he's just another Noldorin Elf Lord.

4. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Legolas in Silmarillion was from Gondolin as well, if my memory serves me correctly... Just a case of naming your children after famous persons is my guess (esp. since it's known who Legolas' parents are). Although, I've heard that there's some proof in support of Glorfindel of Imladris being the same person as Glorfindel of Gondolin.

5. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I can't find Legolas in the Sil. Where is he mentioned? In any case, I can remember Turin (as in the member of TFF, not the 1st age hero) saying they are the same. But indeed, this could be an intersting case of the same phenomenon. I must have missed it in my own readings.

On the other hand, the humans really had a hand in naming their children after a famous predecessor, such as Denethor. Now, there are far less elven, or at least their the birthrate is lower, so the need for such actions for finding names.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find Turin's post

---EDIT---

Found it, though it was not by Turin, it was by Curufeanor

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  6. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for not being able to refer you to a chapter where the Gondolin Legolas was mentioned... could have been Unfinished Tales... don't remember much except reading a familiar name in an unexpected context...

I think I'll withdraw and wait for an expert opinion ;)

7. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I just read unfinished tails for the 8th time and in the chapter "of tuor and his coming to gondolin" it definetely did not mention legolas, son of thranduil...

8. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    That's because it is a different Legolas. I think he's in the Silmarillion though, so try there.

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... Chris rules! He has an index included for both UT and the Sil. A Legolas is mentioned in UT, but that happens to be the 3rd age Legolas we are all so firmiliar with... The Sil mentions no Legolas between "Lay of Leithian" and "Legolin"... So we can be pretty sure the early edition Legolas is in neither of them. But there are more books, books I haven't read, such as the mentioned BoLT II. Maybe one of the guys who have actually read those books knows some answers. Now, where is Turin when you need him?

10. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I only just re-read the Silmarillion, and he's not in the index. But im almost 100% sure he's in there somewhere. He's not a major character in any sense of the word, he's just an elf who happens to be named Legolas.

11. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    __

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  12. MaximusAralias

MaximusAralias New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Theres also another Legolas, if i remember correctly. Though I spose it could very well be the same one, id say he's just another Noldorin Elf Lord."

Legolas greenleaf of Gondolin, led the refugees through tuor's secret passage through the western cliffs of the echoriath. he was said to have the sharpest eyes of any elf to ever walk the earth.