Glorfindel Cameo In Rotk

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rexone13, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are only 2 cases or Elves re-embodied as themselves, (note: both from the battle of Gondolin ;) ) Legolas Greenleaf and Glorfindel :) I don't know if there were more elves that were re-embodied or if they just switched bodies and names and such

2. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    these pictures seem to show the worst of everybody. Elrond looks disfigured, and Glorfindel looks insane.

3. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Legolas was re-embodied? Where on earth (or shall we say Middle-earth? :D ) did you find that out?

4. Maverick028

Maverick028 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm going to get some flack for this....

but Orlando/Legolas looks very "fairy-like" in all his scenes of the epilogue. So I would say Glorfindel looks no less feminine than Legolas does..

*ducks the oncoming hailstorm* :)

5. Aenónar

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well, first hint: he have the same name, and 2, I think it's discussed in the Silmarillon or something :) or maybe the appendixes A-F (dunno if that's what it's called but it said that it was the original titel in my Swedish copy :))

6. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    elvenblademaster, that was my first thought about the mysterious blonde elf at the council from the first time I saw FotR. :) In response to Rexone, wasn't Celebrimor in the Prologue somewhere? I might be mistaken, though...

In response to everyone else on the second page, however...Tolkien describes Glorfindel..."was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom and in his hand was strength " (FotR, 274). Interpret this how you'd like to, but I don't think Glorfindel looks that old... As for the peredhel, he looks neither old nor young, but that's sort of off the subject...

:dragon:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  7. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I would say there's a big difference between looking young and fearless and full of joy and how that elf that's supposed to be Glorfindel looked. He was young, but instead of fearless, he looked like he'd run at the first sign of danger. Just how I saw him though.......

I think you've confused me more. I've read both the Silmarillon and the Appendixes multiple times and don't ever remember them mentioning Legolas being re-embodied. I thought you might have been referring to something in HoME or BoLT... :confused:

8. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    ok i've found exactly where he is in rotk! After aragorn is crowned king, he says some words to legolas. Then he turns to look at something. You will see two people moving out of the way to reveal the white banner hideing arwen. The personon the left that moved out of the way is definately glorfindel. It's not the guy standing next to elrond as posted earlier in this thread. I'm like 100% sure of this. *remember it is before arwen even comes out from behind the banner.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  9. Faeros

Faeros Elven Ranger Captain

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glorfindel is definitely the best Elf. I mean, think about it. You die defending the survivors of the most glorious Elven city from a Balrog--arguably the most horrifying minion of Morgoth. You slay him, he slays you, you both fall down an abyss. And then, some centuries later, you are resurrected. That's true heroism, that. It's interesting to note that Glorfindel is the only Elf ever mentioned to have been resurrected. Strange, huh?

10. Aenónar

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ok ok, I'll see if I can find it again ;)

hmm, can't find it at the moment... :/ but if you ask Legolas he might be able to answer :) ( :p )

11. Durthang

Durthang Demon of Might

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There is mention of a Legolas Greenleaf at the Fall of Gondolin - it's actually in part two of the Book of Lost Tales.

12. Aenónar

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that doesn't mean they were the same one, but the name certainly rings a bell :p

13. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It says somewhere in History of Middle Earth Volume 4 that elves are bound to the world. When they die, they go to the Halls of Mandos and wait about 1000 years before being reborn again in a new body. So when you think about it, the number of elves in Arda never really changes. This means that damn near every elf had a past life in the Third Age. So I believe that while their spirit doesn't change, their body, memory, and name do, for I never recall any elf talking about the beauty of Doriath or something from the past.

Men were lucky. While the elves and Valar were bound to the world, and cannot escape from it, and grow tired of the world, Eru gave men the gift of death, to die when they become weary of the world. Elves can only die of grief or be slain in battle. Men were allowed to depart from the world, and their fate is known only to Manwe and Eru. Their fate is different from the elves. But Morgoth twisted the truth, and was able to convince man that death was a curse.

14. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Really? That's quite interesting. Thanks.

15. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Celebrimbor might *doubts this* have been in the prologue, but nowhere else. As I remember, Sauron destroyed Hollin, Celebrimbor with it, and all that had to do with ring-lore when the One was completed.

Elves had the choice of being resurrected and a choice of when, from what i read in Morgoth's Ring, or simply remaining in spirit only, and could also even become mortal if they wished, although only 2 of them did this: Luthien and Arwen. If they did automatically return to life after 1000 years, then what happened to Feanor?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  16. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, I assume there are some exceptions. Every book said Feanor's fate was different, just like Turin's. Or maybe it is up to the Elves to choose if they want a second life.

And only their heirs of Earendil can chose to be among the Quendi or Atani. The chose was given to him and Elwing, and also to their heirs. Elrond chose to be an elf, while Elros chose to be a mortal.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  17. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't there also another elf who chose to become mortal? Idril, I think? Or am I totally wrong?

18. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wasnt luthien mortal

19. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Luthien was the first elf to become mortal. After Beren died, she did too. At the Halls of Mandos, she pleaded to Mandos. She succeded, and was able to leave The Halls with Beren, although she was now mortal. They settle in Ossiriand.

Idril remained an Elf. But she and her husband Tuor sailed into the West, and he may have been granted immortality. It never says.

Beren and Luthien had a son Dior, who had a daughter Elwing. Idril and Tuor had a son Earendil. Earendil and Elwing are the parents of Elros and Elrond.

Earendil and Elwing were both mortal, until they sailed into the West to plee for help form the Ainur. Because they came in love for the Two Kindreds, they were not punished for going to Valinor. Instead they were given a choice to either be Human or Elf. Elwing chose to be an Elf, and Earendil did to, for love of his wife.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  20. Aenónar

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not exactly 1000 years, they stay in mandos until they are ready, some could be in a few hundred years, but some had to wait longer

Search tags for this page
bilder glorfindel

glorfindel

glorfindel actor
glorfindel lord of the rings movie