Gil-Gilad's Death

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dwarf tosser, Nov 20, 2003.

1. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In the Prologue during the last alliance between men and elves, when all of them battle at the foot-hills of Mt. Doom, Sauron grasps Gil-Gilad by the face, Sauron holds Gil-Gilad up so every one can see. Sauron sets Gil-Gilad on fire (by magic), and Gil-Gilad burns to death in front of everyone. Why do you think they kept this out of the fellowship? Do you think it might have been because it was a little bit too violent?I would like to know what people of this outrage. I mean it's the telling of frikin history And can someone post a pic of saurons sword too?

-From that guy who is currently on the run for tossing all of those dwarves

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Maybe it was too violent, maybe most movie goers wouldn't know who and how important Gil-Galad was.
    But I would have liked to have seen it in, because it would have made more sense to people when Sauron tries to grab Isildur rather than just smash him with his mace. So many non-book readers thought it was dumb for him to stretch out his Ring-bearing hand and let Isildur cut off his fingers, when he could have just splattered Isildur with his mace. That would have made much more sense to people.

3. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. Thanks.

4. Gandalf

Gandalf New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where exactely in the book does it say how Gil-gilad died?

5. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's in one of the Early Storyboards on disc 3 of Fellowship extended.
    Also a couple of scenes that were supposed to be in the movie.
    One was filmed and deleted, the other wasn't filmed because the set was flooded.

6. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a good while back I mentioned the same thing: The nerve of that PJ guy to leave the fall of gilgalad out. Gil-galad was probably the most important and powerful member of the last alliance for crying out loud. (I have to mention he's my favorite Tolkien character).

Tolkien wrote absolutely NOTHING about Gil-Galad's death other than him and Elendil slaying Sauron and die in the process. The movie version that GG was simply picked up by his neck and simply lit on fire is, according to me, an insult to GG's martial prowess. According to Tolkien, Gil-galad and Elendil wrestled with Sauron and all three were slain.

7. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    thats right finrod i would rather not see Gil-Galad die such an unhonerable way, it is better not to have him show dying at all, but it would have been cooler for GG and Elendil to have been shown kicking saurons butt and then dying in the process. Set on fire goodness what idiot would come up with that, oh I know PJ!!!!

8. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hehe, yeah. Have you seen that Mark Fergusson guy who plays GG?
    what a joke!

9. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I have never seen him in anything but FOTR, why is he a joke. HE did not have a single line eccept for that egzaspeerated grunt he let out when he speared that orc. :dragon: :ybounce: :balrog: :banana: :p

10. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    there are pics of him floting around the net. search and find out what I am talking about.

11. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    They cut it out because the audience does not need to know who Gil-Galad is. They decided it was too much information for the audience (non-readers) to deal with. Also, you may notice that the FotR (theatrical version) never even names Elendil.

12. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep, they refer to him as the king. I still think leaving GG out is a big shame though.
    could ya all at least agree with me on that?

13. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Elendil is named only once in the theatrical version of the film, although not during the prologue.
    This happens when Aragorn jumps from the summit of Amon Hen (i cant say the seat of seeing because i noticed that there was one... another change from the book) and falls upon the Uruk Hai, shouting "Elendil!"

And even in the EE, his name is said only once more, during Galadriel's conversation with Aragorn concerning his destiny as king.

The reason he was not referred to during the prologue is because if you didnt know who he was, it didnt really matter because he lasted about five seconds up against Sauron (in the movie only of course).

The same can be said about Gil-galad, although it would have been nice to know that he was actually included in the movie the first time i saw the movie (i missed him thinking he was Elrond... i dont know. he had only the scene where he cut down that one orc and it was so fast that i really didnt notice that it was a spear, Aiglos, that passed through its chest).

14. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, confound that stupid Jackson guy. WHat's he ever done to make these movies any good?
    Oh that's right. EVERYTHING.

;-p

So just to confirm by someone's who's read the Silmarillon - it never actually mentions how Gil-Galad died? Just that he died, but no details? The burning alive thing was a movie idea?
    What about Elendil's death? Does it have any details in the Sil, or just that he fell fighting Sauron?

15. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Watch the extended prologue concept idea in the FotR Extended version. It's pretty interesting.

16. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I guess it depends on how one "interprets" the paragraph....
    Then Gil-Galad and Elendil passed into Mordor and encompassed the stronghold of Sauron; and the laid seige to it for seven years, and suffered grievous loss by fire and by the darts and bolts of the Enemy, and Sauron sent many sorties against them. There in the valley of Gorgoroth Anarion son of Elendil was slain, and many others. But at the last siege was so strait that Sauron himslef came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-Galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell. But Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Saurin and took it for his own. Then Saurin was for that time vanquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years.

17. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes Mububban, absolutely nothing is known about the manner of elendil's and Gil-galad's death
    the one and only thing that's mentioned about the fight was that both wrestled with sauron and both were slain. Sauron got killed also, so all three were gone. Tolkien then mentions Isildur slashing the one ring from sauron's body. (in my opinion AFTER he died) and keeping it against the advise of elrond.
    That, by the way, was not the only thing about the proloque that wasn't entirely correct.
    These notable cassualties are said to have been inflicted on the plains of Dagorlad while in the books, the battle was won by the forces under the supreme command of Gil-galad(although they lost Oropher, father of thranduil, legolas's father) and they marched into mordor and laid siege to Barad-dur for seven years. In the end Sauron came out and the fighting scene between him and elendil an GG took place.

18. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry waenlotien, didn't read your text before I typed mine.

I forgot about Anarion, though.

19. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, actually, Isildur does say that he dealt Sauron his death blow.

20. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I remember now.
    I still think Sauron was already defeated by then. (hence death-blow) No fight between the two of them took place.(I think)

Search tags for this page
death of gil galad
everything about gil-galad

gil galad death

gil galad death deleted scene
gil galad death scene

gil galad deleted scene

gil galad movie

gil gilad

gil-galad deleted scene
gil-galad vs sauron deleted scene fotr
how did gil galad die